War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

my first SRT-4 run-in

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dont forget that he has a bigger engine to start with and a long stroke for alot more torque. there is no shame in losing to a car that starts out with more motor and by the way you dont have to be the fastest car on the road to enjoy your car. If you want to be the quickest in a straight line you should have bought the SRT4, if you want to just be able to keep up, but at least own him in the corners you bought the right car. nuff said.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:26 PM

he probably wasnt stage 3, maybe stage 2, theres a lot more that can be done then just stage upgrades
Old 11-04-2006, 07:20 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking

I've raced my co-worker's Stage 1 SRT-4. He had a a side exit exhaust, Intake and a turbo timer. (This is what he told me)
My cobalt SS SC has GM Stage II, 2.8 Pulley, K&N Typhoon Intake, and the GMPP Exhaust.
We raced 3 times. From a 15mph Roll, and 2 Dead Stops.
From a 15mph roll, we were next to each other up to 50mph. After 50mph, I pulled 4 Cars on him.
From a dead stop, his rear bumper was at my window up to about 30 or so, then when I popped in 2nd gear I pulled on him. Up to 90mph, I was 3 cars ahead of him.

From a dead stop again, same thing again as the previous race.

He admitted that my car was faster and that my SC whine was hella loud.
Now he trying to get stage 3 to make sure he will roast my ass.
Not going to happen till I get that GM stage 3 when ever it is released. I'll make sure to catch this one on film, It'll be a good match!!!
Old 11-05-2006, 09:11 AM

pesky ol neons....
Old 11-06-2006, 12:13 PM

Good run.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:34 PM

So the big question is..........Cobalt stage 3 or ^? Where r they?

what about intense racing? they make up to stage 5. i dont know how good they are but i have seen a stage 3 cobalt smoke a stage 2 and a 350z easily
Old 11-06-2006, 12:43 PM

I have had my run in with a couple of local SRTs... and yes they are fast... but once they get their stages on... they can't hook up to save their lives from a dig! I have taken a S2 no toys SRT from a dig... by about 1 length give or take... but the other with the S3 w toys... he whooped up on me pretty good, but from a dig it wasn't as bad... stock wheels and tires couldn't grip for him... they talk trash but they actually have the aftermarket to do so... wait until our aftermarket grows into their territory... then it will be a different story... but...hmmmm THE SRTs don't exsist anymore whatta shame! They traded a nice compact for an ugly mini-van lookin' thing... plus it is still.............

a NEON!
Old 11-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Fail Less.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what does the srt4 stage kits consist of? waht are "toys"?

i have a kid in an 03 SRT4 talking **** saying he has a stage 2 with a BOV and claims 300 hp. however his engine bay looks completely stock, not even an intake. stock exhaust too. he claims he will walk any SS/SC he comes across.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
correct me if im wrong...i believe "toys" is a blackbox kinda deal that gives you 3 different spark curves for different levels of octane.

Pop race gas in a skittle with toys and they will find "high octane mode" (usually abbreviated to HOM)
at which point i believe they kick out a pretty good chunk of HP (ive seen dynos showing a jump of 20-30hp on S2 with toys)

Im no SRT4 pro but i do frequent my local skittle forum. good bunch of guys, so i pick up a little bit of the language on how those beasts run.

Plenty of local srt4s up here with the S3 turbo swap + toys are clearing 400hp to the rubber. and the fastest srt run in alberta this year was an 11.37 (2700ft)
Old 11-06-2006, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bika
what does the srt4 stage kits consist of? waht are "toys"?

i have a kid in an 03 SRT4 talking **** saying he has a stage 2 with a BOV and claims 300 hp. however his engine bay looks completely stock, not even an intake. stock exhaust too. he claims he will walk any SS/SC he comes across.
the thing about the srt-4 is besides a intake and exaust unless you know what your looking for a stock srt and a 400 hp srt will look almost identical

and i am very dissappointed in the cobalts torque its not all about horsepower

srt-4s come with 250 torque cobalts come with what 200??? so yea it might be harder for them to "hook up" but if they can ur screwed thats ill i got to say

ive spent 4k on my cobalt and will not spend another dime unless anything better and or cheaper will come out for them

if that doesnt happen soon ill trade it in for a srt-4, evo, or even a dodge cummings all which can kill the measly cobalt right now

i love this thing so much but its kindve having a beautiful girlfriend that is bad at oral and sex

just doesnt work for me
Old 11-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Fail Less.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
" its kindve having a beautiful girlfriend that is bad at oral and sex"

hahahaha thats the greatest thing ive heard in a long time
Old 11-06-2006, 07:25 PM

plus it is still.............

a NEON!

That's funny that you say that, I was thinking the same thing the other day when I saw one around here that had vanity plates that said....No Neon...
Old 11-06-2006, 07:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CbYellowSS
the thing about the srt-4 is besides a intake and exaust unless you know what your looking for a stock srt and a 400 hp srt will look almost identical

and i am very dissappointed in the cobalts torque its not all about horsepower

srt-4s come with 250 torque cobalts come with what 200??? so yea it might be harder for them to "hook up" but if they can ur screwed thats ill i got to say

ive spent 4k on my cobalt and will not spend another dime unless anything better and or cheaper will come out for them

if that doesnt happen soon ill trade it in for a srt-4, evo, or even a dodge cummings all which can kill the measly cobalt right now

i love this thing so much but its kindve having a beautiful girlfriend that is bad at oral and sex

just doesnt work for me
you are "very" dissapointed in the cobalts torque.

then you are pretty tough to please. because the srt4 is the only car in its pricerange/class that beats it for torque.

and since srt's arent made cobalt is basically the class leader....

Go grab yourself an SI and youd have something to complain about in the torque department.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by bdwarr6
i will give them hell ive honestly never ran a stage 3 srt4 buy would love to

my next mod will smoke them and probley make me order another set of pistons
yea you are gonna need some serious work to run with a s3 srt-4. they can run 11's with those things. beasts.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltKid21
So the big question is..........Cobalt stage 3 or ^? Where r they?

what about intense racing? they make up to stage 5. i dont know how good they are but i have seen a stage 3 cobalt smoke a stage 2 and a 350z easily

i dont want to start any problems here, but a cobalt stage three still wont make as much power as the srt stage 3. the internals just aren't nearly as strong.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:07 PM

I hate to be the "clueless one" here, but am I missing something? I know it is hard to tell how fast a car is when you drive it simply by "feel", but I was going to buy a 2004 srt-4 and after I drove it...I was not that impressed with it. Its like an evo (which I have also driven)...they are ass out dogs until they spool and then when the SRT4 I drove spooled I still wasn't that impressed? I know they are cpable of being monsters but I honestly was not that impressed with the one I drove (it had an intake and something else done, not sure what exactly).

After driving it I said...eewww and bought my cobalt. Could have been a bad car and or bad choice..but that was my experience.

My friends little brother has a 04 stage 1 SRT4 that I will be racing soon...hopefully before it snows so I will video tape it? You guys want me to post?
Old 11-07-2006, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous

then you are pretty tough to please. because the srt4 is the only car in its pricerange/class that beats it for torque.

Go grab yourself an SI and youd have something to complain about in the torque department.

Couldn't agree more. I bought the cobalt because it is FWD with decent torque. Yea, a neon makes more, but they don't make neons anymore, and there is probably a very good reason for that.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by FNFAST
I hate to be the "clueless one" here, but am I missing something? I know it is hard to tell how fast a car is when you drive it simply by "feel", but I was going to buy a 2004 srt-4 and after I drove it...I was not that impressed with it. Its like an evo (which I have also driven)...they are ass out dogs until they spool and then when the SRT4 I drove spooled I still wasn't that impressed? I know they are cpable of being monsters but I honestly was not that impressed with the one I drove (it had an intake and something else done, not sure what exactly).

After driving it I said...eewww and bought my cobalt. Could have been a bad car and or bad choice..but that was my experience.

My friends little brother has a 04 stage 1 SRT4 that I will be racing soon...hopefully before it snows so I will video tape it? You guys want me to post?
By all means post, but if that kid can drive at all, then he will beat you, esp with the stage 1.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:53 PM

If the car is fast enough to brag about being capable of beating another car then it should be fast enough to do so without having to worry about the driver. If you drive the car everyday, that should be all the "driver ability" you need to win if the car is "that much faster".

As a drag racer I know that a driver is important...I have been dragging for over 12 years. But I absolutely hate it when people use the excuse... "if they could drive"..."if I could drive better"..."with a better driver"..."learn to drive". If your car is so close to the car you are racing that the driver plays a part of the race...then you shouldn't be bragging about how much faster your car is. Thats called a "drivers race" which means the cars are VERY close to each other.

My point being: If he has to be a "good" driver to win in a stage 1 SRT4 to a stock cobalt...I hope I never hear how much "faster" an SRT4 is over a coblat ever again. As a drag racer...I know that drivers only come into play when all other factors are equal and anyone else who has drag raced for a long time will agree with me.

For instance: I will race a stock SRT4 in my 12 second Camaro SS and then I will get out and switch cars witht he guy...I bet you his SRT4 still gets it's ass handed to it. Now that is an example where you can say..."my car is faster than yours"...but if you have to drive better than the person, then your car is not faster...the driver is.

That sounds like an excuse a civic owner would use...your lucky he couldn't drive!!...WTF?! Dude drives his car everyday...if he has to Powershift every gear and Drive perfect to win...haha...thats so dumb.

All I am saying is that if the stage 1 SRT4 is that much faster than a stock cobalt to the point you go around talking ****...then you should be able to put johnny retard in the SRT4 and still win...other wise...you shouldnt talk **** because the other guy may be able to "out drive you" in which case you can't tell form just "looking" at the person...

Last edited by FNFAST; 11-07-2006 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vtecduster
One problem with the whole ramming concept, one has to catch them to ram them. With our giant ass spoiler, they can see us coming for at least a mile.

omfg, lol... so funny
Old 11-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Banned

You guys just think cuz it was fast that it was a Stage 3 SRT4? lol... lame...
Old 11-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by StreetBadges.com
I am confused, you could hear the turbo spool and you could hear the bov.............so it was staged? LOL
If you have a stock Cobalt SS/SC its likely he was in a stock SRT4, or maybe something with an intake, or exhaust. 4 lengths isnt alot.

They dont seem to concept that yet Shawn lol..
Old 11-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by West Palm SRT4
Good run.

Where have you been partner?
Old 11-08-2006, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by an0malous

The Mazadaspeed 3 makes more stock whp and lb-ft than the cobalt..

Thats odd, the stock turbo spools at 2500 which is right around where max torque is made. The only way it would feel like a dog is if you put in 4th or so around 40 and tried to 'hit it'. There is a noticable difference in low-end w/ the cobalt and srt-4. If you don't 'feel' it then you definitely have a problem.

As a drag racer I know that a driver is important...I have been dragging for over 12 years. But I absolutely hate it when people use the excuse... "if they could drive"..."if I could drive better"..."with a better driver"..."learn to drive". If your car is so close to the car you are racing that the driver plays a part of the race...then you shouldn't be bragging about how much faster your car is. Thats called a "drivers race" which means the cars are VERY close to each other.
The srt-4 is faster stock for stock. Why do people use those excueses? Because they are relavent. It's not if the srt-4 has a better driver it'll win, if both cars have equal drivers it will win. The cars are touchy to launch which is why you hear those excuses so often. Lets just say if both cars were driven to 100% potential the srt-4 will win w/ the cobalt being close behind.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by xonic
The Mazadaspeed 3 makes more stock whp and lb-ft than the cobalt..

Thats odd, the stock turbo spools at 2500 which is right around where max torque is made. The only way it would feel like a dog is if you put in 4th or so around 40 and tried to 'hit it'. There is a noticable difference in low-end w/ the cobalt and srt-4. If you don't 'feel' it then you definitely have a problem.

The srt-4 is faster stock for stock. Why do people use those excueses? Because they are relavent. It's not if the srt-4 has a better driver it'll win, if both cars have equal drivers it will win. The cars are touchy to launch which is why you hear those excuses so often. Lets just say if both cars were driven to 100% potential the srt-4 will win w/ the cobalt being close behind.

there are alot more cars than the ms3 that beat it in torque in its price range. not trying to start an argument or anything, but that is a fact.

Quick Reply: my first SRT-4 run-in