War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

my first SRT-4 run-in

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone that says the srt-4 is "just" a neon is ignorant. then the ss/sc is "just" a cobalt. the 2.2 is not much better than the late model neons performance wise, so you could really say the same thing. the srt-4 is in no way "just" a neon and the ss/sc is in no way "just" a cobalt. this is like saying a gnx is just a buick. it is in fact a buick, but it is much much more than the common buick.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ravenz
well there ya go.. you proved my point.... everything evolves from something else... so i guess with your statement we should all go..... its just a celica... in regards to a supra? So why make comments that its just a Neon....

An SRT4 looks like a Neon just like the SS/SC looks like a base Cobalt. They both have differences of course though.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by 8cd03gro
anyone that says the srt-4 is "just" a neon is ignorant.

It's just a neon.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:24 AM

Okay here is my two cents on this: I can call it a neon as i am a SRT-4 Owner. HOWEVER if anyone else calls it a neon i correct them. LOL

So i think it is all about the person itself... Hell you can call my neon all you want as it walks on by
Old 11-16-2006, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by 8cd03gro
the 2.2 is not much better than the late model neons performance wise.
stock for stock a 2.2 could WASTE a neon.

Seriouse question, why the F**K would they replace you srt-4 with an ugly ass mini van? Its going to take what ever rep the srt-4 name had for it self.. Look out van owners the srt-4 van will be out to get ya.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:17 AM

hrmm... let me look at this, The srt-4 isn't a neon but the srt-6 is a crossfire and the srt-8 is a jeep,charger or 300c and of course the srt-10 that started it all is a viper.

What it's not, is a neon with 'just a turbo slapped on'. From what I remember reading, R&D for the srt-4 started around 99' and it was originally supposed to be supercharged, luckily dodge saw the light soon enough. ("I keed", "I keed")
Old 11-16-2006, 01:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Red06LS

Seriouse question, why the F**K would they replace you srt-4 with an ugly ass mini van? Its going to take what ever rep the srt-4 name had for it self.. Look out van owners the srt-4 van will be out to get ya.

SERIOUS question... why are you bad mouthing a car that will run 2 seconds faster in the 1/4 than you ever will?? It's not even a van, it doesn't resemble a van and it is only slightly larger than a Cobalt COUPE.

And please say you are joking about "WASTING neons". I assume you are because of the ...
Old 11-16-2006, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by god+1

SERIOUS question... why are you bad mouthing a car that will run 2 seconds faster in the 1/4 than you ever will?? It's not even a van, it doesn't resemble a van and it is only slightly larger than a Cobalt COUPE.

And please say you are joking about "WASTING neons". I assume you are because of the ...
Im not talking about the neon srt-4 i mean the caliber srt-4 van thingy. And yes im pretty sure that i could beat a regular neon with my 2.2 i know a few people wiht neons and they jsut put systems and fuzzy seat covers (< girl) and dont even wast their time "trying to make it fast". Dude im not ******* your guyses cars at all ive seen pleanty of streetfire vids of srt-4's wasting cars and there are pleanty of them where i live so i know.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:21 AM
Banned

Im not talking about the neon srt-4 i mean the caliber srt-4 van thingy. And yes im pretty sure that i could beat a regular neon with my 2.2 i know a few people wiht neons and they jsut put systems and fuzzy seat covers (< girl) and dont even wast their time "trying to make it fast". Dude im not ******* your guyses cars at all ive seen pleanty of streetfire vids of srt-4's wasting cars and there are pleanty of them where i live so i know.
I don't drive any version of a neon

I was also talking about the Caliber SRT-4.

You just said a Neon, nothing about regular. What about an older ACR Neon?? What qualifies as wasting with high 15 second cars???
Old 11-16-2006, 09:29 AM

You just said a Neon, nothing about regular. What about an older ACR Neon?? What qualifies as wasting with high 15 second cars???
If I can just chime in here quick...neither the base neon or the base cobalt is a "high fifteen" second car. They are in the 16's at best.

Continue.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by xonic
What it's not, is a neon with 'just a turbo slapped on'. From what I remember reading, R&D for the srt-4 started around 99' and it was originally supposed to be supercharged, luckily dodge saw the light soon enough. ("I keed", "I keed")

I would like to see where this supposed info came from.. there is a big difference between a 2.0 liter engine and a 2.4 liter stroker. I know of a couple people who have put turbos on a regular Neon and they didnt come close to the stock HP/TQ of the SRT4 without doing a whole lot more work to the car. It would be like saying your 2.2 and slapping a supercharger on it.... the engine components and the way they are built are completly different....
Old 11-16-2006, 09:51 AM

Aww srt-4 vs cobalt ss, The srt-4's are great, I have had a few run ins with them lost everyone except one!, But wasn't in my balt that day
Old 11-16-2006, 09:58 AM

Why does everyone hate srt-4? There nice cars. I was looking to get one but didnt like the 4 door look. That why I went with the cobalt., It may not be the fastest car but I thing its the sexyest. Plus all you have to do to win is put sugar in there tank before you race
Old 11-16-2006, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ravenz
I would like to see where this supposed info came from.. there is a big difference between a 2.0 liter engine and a 2.4 liter stroker. I know of a couple people who have put turbos on a regular Neon and they didnt come close to the stock HP/TQ of the SRT4 without doing a whole lot more work to the car. It would be like saying your 2.2 and slapping a supercharger on it.... the engine components and the way they are built are completly different....

Link to Srtforums

Originally Posted by Srtforums
The original concept Neon SRT specs were a 2.0 liter SOHC 16-valve four cylinder topped with a 45-cubic inch Eaton supercharger, which produced 208 hp and 180 lb-ft of torque at the flywheel on 11 psi of boost. (Sport Compact Car magazine tested the car in the Feb. 2001 issue and dynoed 179 hp and 149 lb-ft tq at the wheels.)

Tapped from the DaimlerChrysler parts bin was the engine block, a 1998 California emissions-spec block. Designed to pass the stringent TLEV emissions standards, this particular block had a lower, 9.3:1 compression ratio rather than the standard 9.8:1. That compression ratio was later lowered to 8.5:1 after extensive dyno testing showed the original compression to be to high for the amount of boost the car was running. A 2001 Neon R/T cylinder head was used to take advantage of the engine’s larger exhaust ports and its higher-lift, longer duration camshaft. The R/T's tubular steel header was used, as well as the catalyst and exhaust system. The only part of the exhaust not from the parts bin was the Borla muffler.

The Eaton Roots-style supercharger is usually bolted directly to the intake manifold, where its odd-shaped discharge port can simply blow into the middle of the plenum. In the Neon SRT, the supercharger is mounted directly below the plenum, but instead of blowing up into it, it blows down into a collector pipe, around the front of the supercharger and back into the manifold. This design allows the manifold to retain a more conventional shape with air coming in one side of the plenum and four, equal-length runners running to each port. This design, it turns out, evens the cylinder-to-cylinder air distribution, ensuring a consistent air/fuel ratio and consequently better performance. The supercharger plumbing also allows the possibility of an intercooler. With boost turned up to 11 psi, the little 45-cubic inch blower is pumping its heart out. Discharge temps reach as high as 300 degrees. Marc Musial-engine developer, did some testing with an intercooler and found that it dropped peak temperatures by 150 degrees which bumped up power figures to 230 hp. However in high hopes that the concept would become a reality, this was left out to keep costs down.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FNFAST
If I can just chime in here quick...neither the base neon or the base cobalt is a "high fifteen" second car. They are in the 16's at best.

Continue.
I was trying to be nice.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:44 PM

because it would be a waste of time IMO to make a base neon fast other than pulling the old SRT-4 swap. Which brings me to my next question, why would you waste your time making a 2.2 fast with your custom CAI (everyone knows about that rice ****). I guess now that you have the power of magnaflow tips, you will be laying waste to fuzzy girls in neons all across the countryside.

Red06LS + 2.2L + custom laundry dryer hose + uncle ben = Fuzzy Girl + Systems

Lets simplify

Red06LS = Fuzzy Girl
Old 11-16-2006, 01:50 PM

ive got mad respect for srt4s. super quick cars and i have yet to beat one, and i dont think i will soon. a lot of people dont want to face the fact that some cars are just faster than others. then again some are nicer than others too. either way, srt4s are awesome in my book.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by pOrk
because it would be a waste of time IMO to make a base neon fast other than pulling the old SRT-4 swap. Which brings me to my next question, why would you waste your time making a 2.2 fast with your custom CAI (everyone knows about that rice ****). I guess now that you have the power of magnaflow tips, you will be laying waste to fuzzy girls in neons all across the countryside.

Red06LS + 2.2L + custom laundry dryer hose + uncle ben = Fuzzy Girl + Systems

Lets simplify

Red06LS = Fuzzy Girl
Pork = a piece of **** who talks **** over the internet like a bitch. End of story for you.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:34 PM

that's not true at all...what neon are you referring to? the r/t's are just about as fast as a 2.2...some years were faster than the 2.2 i think. no offense, but there isn't much the 2.2 can "waste"
Old 11-16-2006, 05:47 PM

wow, everytime i see a srt4 v cobalt post, i always tell myself to ignore, but 9 pages later, here I am. Is this **** ever gonna end? People are too insecure about their cars thinking they always need to defend them. Some people on here need to grow up. Cobalt owners and neon owners alike. This **** is getting old, but its still funny.

On a side note, my buddy had a stripped down srt4 that ran 12.2. Everybody always said its just a neon. Thats the best part. Everybody he pulled up next to and asked to race would go "In that thing?" It was sooooo funny. I would have bought one but there are quite a few where I am at and I wanted something different. Not to mention, I came from a cavalier, so the familiarity of a chevy car is comforting.

If people put their blood, sweat, and tears into any car, they deserve respect. Whether it be a civic, focus, cobalt, neon, sti, evo, or whatever....The fact is, if we all had the same car, driving around town would be pretty dull.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:50 PM

well here is the end all statement that usually ends all of the cobalt vs srt-4 or evo vs sti blah blah blah threads.

evo is just a lancer
sti is just an imreza
srt-4 is just a neon
ss/sc is just a cobalt.

they are all great cars so who the **** cares?

i think most of us (myself included) just love arguing.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:53 AM

evo is just a lancer
sti is just an imreza
srt-4 is just a neon
ss/sc is just a cobalt.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOO!!!!!

Not true...my CAMARO SS is not a camaro!!!!! NUH UH!!! NO IT ISN'T!!!!!

I like the srt-4's, I like the cobalt's...again...I think we are brothers here...we should be supportive or the others...If my buddy had a stage 2 SRT4 and I got whooped in my Stage 2 SS/SC by a civic...I would start laughing and say...why don't you try that with him!! haha

I don't think there is too much hating going on here about the SRT4 and I don't remember anyone in an SRT4 coming on here talking crap either. To my knowledge all the SRT4 owners in here are pretty cool and helpful. "I love you guys!"

WHOS GIVING ME THEIR BUDLIGHT NOW DAMMIT!!!!!
Old 11-17-2006, 03:03 PM

Can we get a thread lock? Anyone? Perhaps a Cobalt VS SRT-4 sticky or something dumb like that?
Old 11-17-2006, 03:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by akJBody
wow, everytime i see a srt4 v cobalt post, i always tell myself to ignore, but 9 pages later, here I am. Is this **** ever gonna end? People are too insecure about their cars thinking they always need to defend them. Some people on here need to grow up. Cobalt owners and neon owners alike. This **** is getting old, but its still funny.

On a side note, my buddy had a stripped down srt4 that ran 12.2. Everybody always said its just a neon. Thats the best part. Everybody he pulled up next to and asked to race would go "In that thing?" It was sooooo funny. I would have bought one but there are quite a few where I am at and I wanted something different. Not to mention, I came from a cavalier, so the familiarity of a chevy car is comforting.

If people put their blood, sweat, and tears into any car, they deserve respect. Whether it be a civic, focus, cobalt, neon, sti, evo, or whatever....The fact is, if we all had the same car, driving around town would be pretty dull.
I agree. It gets old and it always turns into something dumb.

I know when the time comes and I get my SRT-4, I'm gonna hear **** on this forum...
Old 11-17-2006, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
I agree. It gets old and it always turns into something dumb.

I know when the time comes and I get my SRT-4, I'm gonna hear **** on this forum...
another car? i think you should mix it up and get something rwd