War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

need info from someone who knows DSM's

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need info from someone who knows DSM's

ok so this kid i work with has a 92 talon tsi awd and he getting bigger injectors and a turbo back exhaust in about a month or so. he says he wants to put money on the race which i doubt i will do. anyway if he has injectors that means hes gonna be turning the boost up im pretty sure hes on the stock turbo and has no fmic. how much boost can the stock turbo handle and what kinda power is he gonna be putting down on high boost w/ an exhaust. then i need to kno what i would need to be able to beat him. and when i say beat i really wanna hand him his ass bc he talks down to me all the frigging time even tho stock for stock i kill him every time. let me kno what you guys think
Old 02-19-2007, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Supercharged06
ok so this kid i work with has a 92 talon tsi awd and he getting bigger injectors and a turbo back exhaust in about a month or so. he says he wants to put money on the race which i doubt i will do. anyway if he has injectors that means hes gonna be turning the boost up im pretty sure hes on the stock turbo and has no fmic. how much boost can the stock turbo handle and what kinda power is he gonna be putting down on high boost w/ an exhaust. then i need to kno what i would need to be able to beat him. and when i say beat i really wanna hand him his ass bc he talks down to me all the frigging time even tho stock for stock i kill him every time. let me kno what you guys think
well ill try and help you out considering my roommate has a sick ass 1998 eagle talon tsi. he just finished the complete 'stage 2' 16g upgrade for it and it is pretty damn fast. I raced him stock before his stage 2 but with a 16g and some goodies. from a dig it was damn fast, 1.58 60 foot and 11.29 in the 1000' to be exact, but from a roll i would smoke his ass every single time. i promise you that your friend is not nearly as modded as my roommate's was if he is just now doing exhaust work, i would race from a roll if he is a good driver because those things are beasts from a dig on the street with mods.

just fyi- now that he is stage 2 we ran from a 40 roll and a couple 1st gear rolls, and i still put a couple on him with my mods! he is supposed to be at 400 crank hp.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:20 AM

Stock turbo can put out about 300hp. So its not a slow car for sure. The side mount is a big disadvantage unless he is running the supra side mount. If he is running the stock ecu he will hit fuel cut way before turning that kind of power. If he is putting in larger injectors he is running with a few diff possibilities. A Chipped ecu, safc, or maf translator. Its possible he could be running the 1g dsm link(almost like a full standalone). Chipped ecu or dsm link can give them a huge advantage on a digg due the possibility of the stutterbox or the no lift to shift options. The upgraded turbos are hard to see in dsms also. The 16g turbos look a lot like the stock ones. If they put the heat shield back on the turbo it could be even harder to see. Also look for the hard piping under the hood. Some of the aftermarket ones are just plain black and look oem. Otherwise good luck. Let us know how it went.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:24 AM
Banned

tsi's of any year are fast. thats what i hate about them. you roll up and see one that looks kinda junky and dont know if it could be a 12 second car or a piece of crap. same for foxbody mustangs. i dont know how many times i've had my ass handed to me by both of those.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by jeremie
tsi's of any year are fast. thats what i hate about them. you roll up and see one that looks kinda junky and dont know if it could be a 12 second car or a piece of crap. same for foxbody mustangs. i dont know how many times i've had my ass handed to me by both of those.
what kinda car do you have
Old 02-19-2007, 01:40 AM
Banned

it was when i had my stealth and my 90 mustang gt. i cant find any tsi's now that i drive my cobalt around
Old 02-19-2007, 02:28 AM

ok so from a dig it would be a tough race but from a roll would stage 2 be able beat him hatrickstu you have stg 2 and exhaust right and tourqe damper
he is useing the DSM link for tuning and im pretty sure hes still gonna be on the stock turbo
thanks for the input
keep it comeing
Old 02-19-2007, 02:29 AM

ok so from a dig it would be a tough race but from a roll would stage 2 be able beat him hatrickstu you have stg 2 and exhaust right and tourqe damper
he is useing the DSM link for tuning and im pretty sure hes still gonna be on the stock turbo
thanks for the input
keep it comeing
eh sounds like he might have more than you think, to be safe i would def. go from a roll.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:35 AM

ok i think worst case scenario for me he maxes out the stock turbo to 300 or so hp i dont think hed get that much be his engine has 120k on it. what would i need to keep up from a roll
Old 02-19-2007, 02:49 AM

I put 348hp to the wheels with over a 100k on my engine. Should be a interesting race. Just make sure you look for the hidden goodies. If its the stock turbo Im pretty sure you could probably take him. However upgraded it could be a pretty good fight.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:32 AM
Banned

i raced a 92 talon tsi from a 40 and they pull hard until about 60 and then die off i put about 3 cars on him
Old 02-19-2007, 03:59 PM

with the bigger injectors hes gonna need atleast a MAFT, he will slaughter you. ive built 2 DSMs one was a 90 laser that i put a 20G on and the other was a 90 talon with just the stock 14B. with just a 8 dollar boost controller, and 4 dollars in a new fuel pump power line they are fast. But if he doesnt do the fuel pump rewire, when he gets above 15psi he will fuel cut and thats the most horrific feeling thing in the world! its like being kicked in the nuts by a profesional kick boxer
Old 02-19-2007, 04:19 PM

Fuel cut is damn interesting. Feels like a brick wall in a dsm. I popped my intercooler line off at 110mph on a road course. That was a interesting thing to happen right before a corner!
Old 02-19-2007, 05:57 PM

If he's getting injectors, I hope he's getting a fuel pump as well? Stock turbo can handle 20psi, I know this cause my old GSX was pushing that just when I unplugged the wastegate, I have an electronic boost gauge, so no that isn't BS. I would say he'd probably try and run it at about 16. At that, with exhaust...he should be somewhere in the 13's. My Talon is somewhere in the 13's and I'm running 13.5psi.
I highly doubt you'll beat him. Stage 2 and you'll be close from a roll.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:59 PM

he says he expects to be at 300hp when hes done according to you guys that seems t be pushing it. how would i stack up to that w/ CA stg 4 and header/down pipe/ exhaust +hp tuners
Old 02-19-2007, 09:01 PM

he would still win. once you start upping the boost on those DSMs its hard to stop, and there very very fast.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltPerformanceParts
Stock turbo can put out about 300hp. So its not a slow car for sure. The side mount is a big disadvantage unless he is running the supra side mount. If he is running the stock ecu he will hit fuel cut way before turning that kind of power. If he is putting in larger injectors he is running with a few diff possibilities. A Chipped ecu, safc, or maf translator. Its possible he could be running the 1g dsm link(almost like a full standalone). Chipped ecu or dsm link can give them a huge advantage on a digg due the possibility of the stutterbox or the no lift to shift options. The upgraded turbos are hard to see in dsms also. The 16g turbos look a lot like the stock ones. If they put the heat shield back on the turbo it could be even harder to see. Also look for the hard piping under the hood. Some of the aftermarket ones are just plain black and look oem. Otherwise good luck. Let us know how it went.
Damn, looks like somebody use to own a DSM lol
Old 02-19-2007, 10:23 PM

Also he may have a "stock" turbo but there is a few diff. variations size wise that all look the same. Awd isnt that fast on the highway tho.... That may be your only chance haha.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:40 PM

thanks for the input guys
hopefully this race will take place most likely a month or so
there will be vidios
Old 02-20-2007, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by denny
Yeap me I had one....I know every bolt number by heard on the 4G63 block.

Am telling you right now. the battle is going to be very very hard.... I well made over 300HP and 300 or torque with a 10$ boost controller, bigger injectors, maft , front mount cooler and 3" full exhaust... on a stock 1G 1990 engine... weak spot on the mitsu's are the tranny and timing belt...the rest almost bullet proof.

good luck..
WTF there is 2 headlights, ive never seen that before....
Old 02-20-2007, 01:22 AM

Nice car Denny!, any slips by chance?
Old 02-20-2007, 01:35 AM

ill put in some input. i raced a stock ss/sc from about a 20 roll in my talon 2wd. when i just had hard pipes, intake and a turbo back, stock boost, 115,000miles. He put bout half a car on me to bout 70. now this is with a t-25. the 1g had better turbos. so i believe it should be good race
Old 02-20-2007, 01:38 AM

Yea I use to own one and we still do specialize in them locally. I have a few customers running megasquirt and spark as well as aem ems systems on there dsm's. They are really fun cars to build up. I even picked up a dodge colt gt that I was going to do the engine swap into. However I ended up selling the colt and the talon. Now I have a new Frankenstein project going on that I will show you guys once I get a bit further into the project. Those of you that know what it is shhh .
Old 02-20-2007, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rangerondubz
WTF there is 2 headlights, ive never seen that before....
Nope the popups show through that part you see as the 2nd light its clear.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltPerformanceParts
Yea I use to own one and we still do specialize in them locally. I have a few customers running megasquirt and spark as well as aem ems systems on there dsm's. They are really fun cars to build up. I even picked up a dodge colt gt that I was going to do the engine swap into. However I ended up selling the colt and the talon. Now I have a new Frankenstein project going on that I will show you guys once I get a bit further into the project. Those of you that know what it is shhh .
we raced a colt that had the 2.0 swap and that thing spun through third gear, biggest sleeper ever, **** on my buddies gs-r haha.