War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

played with a MS6

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
played with a MS6

Tonight I was going to drop my car off at my mom's house. I won't be driving my car for awhile and I won't be here to move it(At my house you have to park on the even/odd side of the street depending on the day) and my car is so freaking low that I can't pull it into my garage anymore(exhaust scrapes) .

So like I said I was driving it over to my mom's house and on the road I see a MS6(Mazdaspeed 6). So as I'm pulling up along side of him he starts to just punch it next to me. We are still in traffic atm so I didn't follow but then it opened up so I got next to him and dropped a gear and hit it a little just to show him I was game.

We were on a 2 lane road(2 on each side) and the light was red up a little ways. I was happy to get next to him at the light, but it changed green right before we got to it. So we are just hanging I'm in 2 gear at about 35-40mph or so. I pointed to him to take off and as soon as he did I punched it. I instantly started to gain on him and by the time I was at almost the top of 3rd(assuming around 90something) I was about 2 cars ahead of him.

I would have kept going, but he already had given up. I'm assuming because he was expecting to win . From the looks of it and sounds it was stock with maybe a CAI(I heard the valve opening sound that a CAI makes when he was revving and hitting it next to me. But very well could have been stock.

I was excited to get a race as I haven't ran into anything in quite some time and like I said I was going to be putting my car away for a bit. My car is a stage 2 with a injen CAI, 3in exhaust, cobra heat exchanger, and a trifecta tune(which I need to get retuned once I get my dual pass and option b on). Tell me what you think.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
Not bad, idk anything about ms6's care to fill me in?

Always fun to find someone game on the road. Sadly that rarely happens anymore. Come to think of it, last time i went to try and intimidate someone in a red tiburon (iirc) it was a cop driving
Old 11-20-2012, 12:41 AM

well I looked up an 07 but I wasn't sure on the year. It looked like this? But black, had HID's if that makes a difference? IDK alot about them. I had to look them up myself.

the specs

•
Turbo compressor
•
2,260 cc 2.3 liters in-line 4 front engine with 87.4 mm bore, 94 mm stroke, 9.5 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder MZR
•
Premium unleaded fuel 93
•
Fuel consumption: EPA urban (mpg): 19, country/highway (mpg): 25 and combined (mpg): 21
•
Fuel economy EPA highway (mpg): 25 and EPA city (mpg): 19
•
Gasoline direct injection fuel system
•
15.9 gallon main premium unleaded fuel tank
•
Power: 204 kW , 274 HP SAE @ 5,500 rpm; 280 ft lb , 380 Nm @ 3,000 rpm

Read more: 2007 Mazda MAZDASPEED6 Specifications | Used

Fastest 1/4 mile time I seen stock was 13.57 or something.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:42 AM

ms6 is a turbo'd awd 2.3l.

^ beat me to it...

they have a weak rear diff. one hard launch will cause it to literally fall apart

Last edited by BankerBalt; 11-20-2012 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-20-2012, 12:56 AM

The very top end of third is 105+ for the record! But that's at about fuel cut so if you were really in it that hard just for your own reference! Nice kill i wish you could have gone for a dig as it would have surprised you i think! The rear end is not that bad! It's the motor mounts you have to really worry about in stock form!
Old 11-20-2012, 01:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds very likely that it was stock. It's about on par with a stock SS/SC in stock form. Weight+AWD slow it down after it's rolling. The MZR motor is stupidly restricted on the stock tune. Even with an intake, it's not going to do much against a GMS2 car without a tune.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:33 AM
Thread Killer
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are a heavy heavy car. I used to own one and i would barely pull on my mom's PT Cruiser GT Turbo lol
Old 11-20-2012, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by FrossB
They are a heavy heavy car. I used to own one and i would barely pull on my mom's PT Cruiser GT Turbo lol
Old 11-20-2012, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by FrossB
way to **** in OP's cheerios
Old 11-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
good kill. I put 2-3 car lengths on one from a roll when I was stock.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:40 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu8R...U&feature=plcp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyOO...o&feature=plcp

That is a buddy of mine. SRI and lowered. I don't see a stock SS/SC running a 13.6 or 13.7, heck you don't even see people getting that with the TC's. I know of one person that has done it on another forum.

Problem is that you raced him from a roll, line it up from a dig and he would tear you apart. My brother has one and I know what it is capable of. The rear end isn't as "weak" as people claim. The car has had some hard launches.

Here is a video of that exact same car doing a 13.3 with the SRI, TMIC, removed 2nd cat, and lowered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vocz...4&feature=plcp
Old 11-23-2012, 10:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A roll is a roll. I own a MS3 and have friends with MS3/6. From a roll, the MS6 is not going to pull ahead without more than an intake. Atleast a tune is needed. From a dig, the awd is great!

BTW, hope your brother has an AP and CDFP internals, or it'll be zoom-zoom-boom one day out of nowhere
Old 11-23-2012, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by WickedSS2005
A roll is a roll. I own a MS3 and have friends with MS3/6. From a roll, the MS6 is not going to pull ahead without more than an intake. Atleast a tune is needed. From a dig, the awd is great!

BTW, hope your brother has an AP and CDFP internals, or it'll be zoom-zoom-boom one day out of nowhere
My brother does have the CDFP and AP. He has just recently installed an AEM intake and a catless DP off ebay; Cobb and others charge too much for a pipe.

The engine mounts are garbage in these cars too. My brother has all the mounts you can get, even that rear axle mount.

I have to agree that this isn't a roll car. He is going to adding a TMIC and exhaust, then to finish it off... a real pro tune. Don't feel like driving out to Plaino, TX to get it done.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:23 AM

not bad man sounds like it was a blast!!!
Old 11-30-2012, 06:44 AM

Four mustangs within two months who have heard my BOV and decided not to race. Glad someone had the ***** to try you
Old 12-01-2012, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by DarkChild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu8R...U&feature=plcp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyOO...o&feature=plcp

That is a buddy of mine. SRI and lowered. I don't see a stock SS/SC running a 13.6 or 13.7, heck you don't even see people getting that with the TC's. I know of one person that has done it on another forum.

Problem is that you raced him from a roll, line it up from a dig and he would tear you apart. My brother has one and I know what it is capable of. The rear end isn't as "weak" as people claim. The car has had some hard launches.

Here is a video of that exact same car doing a 13.3 with the SRI, TMIC, removed 2nd cat, and lowered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vocz...4&feature=plcp
I know of a 13.5 in a Tune only TC here in socal... Lol anything is possible! But a bone stock SS/SC will not get anywhere near that! BUT GMPP S2 with some bolt on's sure will as ive done 13.7 all day with mounts and bolt ons once Stage tuned with an LSJ. They are beastly from a dig if setup properly i will agree! The MS6 of course!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by thedubsack85
I know of a 13.5 in a Tune only TC here in socal... Lol anything is possible! But a bone stock SS/SC will not get anywhere near that! BUT GMPP S2 with some bolt on's sure will as ive done 13.7 all day with mounts and bolt ons once Stage tuned with an LSJ. They are beastly from a dig if setup properly i will agree! The MS6 of course!
Driver mod FTW. Nicely done. I had done a 14.0 @ 102. I know that with more seat time I would have net some good 13's too. I'm not trying to knock the LSJ's, I own one and really like it, but those MZR 2.3 Mazdas are sick too.

Man thing is the driver mod. AWD = roll race lose. Not always but I'm sure most of you will understand what I mean.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:10 AM

I beat one of those in my honda accord lol
Old 12-06-2012, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by MillerCycle
I beat one of those in my honda accord lol
I doubt it. Even with the J35 you would have trouble. 250HP FWD vs 274HP AWD. Proof or it didn't happen.

I would gladly line up against any Cobalt in my town my my brothers Speed but they are all LSJ's with the most of a Stage 2 upgrade. My buddy has a fully bolted 2.8 but doesn't drive it.

Traction FTW
Old 12-06-2012, 06:30 PM

I also find it hard to believe. IMHO it just seemed like a jackass comment to be a jackass.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:02 PM

Driver mod FTW. Nicely done. I had done a 14.0 @ 102. I know that with more seat time I would have net some good 13's too. I'm not trying to knock the LSJ's, I own one and really like it, but those MZR 2.3 Mazdas are sick too.

Man thing is the driver mod. AWD = roll race lose. Not always but I'm sure most of you will understand what I mean.
Yeah i get it! lol but most wont! Lol Driver mod is crucial when FWD and without it you can claim anything you want but to boast better times than you can pull in your own car and not have proof for it is about as useful as FWD it's self! Lol I sure do miss my LSJ and the WTF faces i got from a GMPPS2 car with BASIC bolt-ons! i cant wait to own another and retire my truck to truck duty! lol i still would like a ride an an MS6 as all ive ever been in was an MS3 and it still felt pretty damn quick factory stock!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by thedubsack85
Yeah i get it! lol but most wont! Lol Driver mod is crucial when FWD and without it you can claim anything you want but to boast better times than you can pull in your own car and not have proof for it is about as useful as FWD it's self! Lol I sure do miss my LSJ and the WTF faces i got from a GMPPS2 car with BASIC bolt-ons! i cant wait to own another and retire my truck to truck duty! lol i still would like a ride an an MS6 as all ive ever been in was an MS3 and it still felt pretty damn quick factory stock!
I was thinking of purchasing an MS3 but in reality, the SS/SC is a very under-rated an I would lose too much money. I really like both cars but I already own one and don't really need another.

I'm able to beat a lot of cars on the road, or was, I am converting to S256ET turbo...

If you buy another SS, make it a TC.

I have a buddy with an MS3 and they are quick cars. My brother's Speed6 pulls really good too. I gave a friend a ride and his cell phone ended up in the back seat. That is how hard it launches. K04 turbos suck. My brothers has the common smoking turbo problem, I think he is going to upgrade to the ATP GTX3071R, which is also a bolt on for the TC Cobalt
Old 12-08-2012, 12:35 AM

I had the tupperware version an ion redline! lol it would be a daily so nothing extreme but most def a nice suspension setup! And maybe one day a snail swap! Who knows!
Old 12-09-2012, 01:52 AM

I doubt it. Even with the J35 you would have trouble. 250HP FWD vs 274HP AWD. Proof or it didn't happen.

I would gladly line up against any Cobalt in my town my my brothers Speed but they are all LSJ's with the most of a Stage 2 upgrade. My buddy has a fully bolted 2.8 but doesn't drive it.

Traction FTW
No.
I have J30a4 6-speed manual coupe, my friend's lightly modified MS6 dynos 226 awhp and I dyno 237 fwhp(dyno'd 217 stock). Once I get J pipe and PCD's I will be over 250 to the wheels.

I haven't raced him from a dig but from a roll I walk away at just about any speed.

I have proof of me running a full bolt on S2000 and beating it ? I can post the vids if you want.... Not that it proves I'm fast or anything.

A J35 8th gen Accord 6-speed manual dynos 245-260 to the wheels depending on atmosphereic conditions, alititude, humidity, temperature, etc. They run mid 13's with just a few bolt ons + driver mod.

Last edited by MillerCycle; 12-09-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by MillerCycle
No.
I have J30a4 6-speed manual coupe, my friend's lightly modified MS6 dynos 226 awhp and I dyno 237 fwhp(dyno'd 217 stock). Once I get J pipe and PCD's I will be over 250 to the wheels.

I haven't raced him from a dig but from a roll I walk away at just about any speed.

I have proof of me running a full bolt on S2000 and beating it ? I can post the vids if you want.... Not that it proves I'm fast or anything.

A J35 8th gen Accord 6-speed manual dynos 245-260 to the wheels depending on atmosphereic conditions, alititude, humidity, temperature, etc. They run mid 13's with just a few bolt ons + driver mod.
The videos I posted above are of my buddies old Speed6 that probably dynoed in at 230 AWHP, if that. It isn't a roll car and unless that Speed has a tune, there is no reason for you not to pull from a roll.

There is an 8th gen J35, 6 speed, My brothers car tears that thing apart.

But hey, I don't care to have a pissing match, if that car lost... it lost.

Quick Reply: played with a MS6