War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

raced a 08 speed3 tonight

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blackbird, your my idol

you actually admitted you drag race an actual minivan.

being from a turbo dodge backgound, I really love and can def understand that comment!
Old 10-04-2008, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rangerondubz
Def not
I second that.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by glhs379
you actually admitted you drag race an actual minivan.

being from a turbo dodge backgound, I really love and can def understand that comment!
What's hard to admit? My SRT-4 is probably my fastest/quickest car but the minivan is pretty fun.

That's why I think it's funny when people call the MS3 or the Caliber SRT-4 minivans or mini-SUVs like it's something derogatory. There's nothing wrong with an actual minivan. There are some of them out there that are even quicker than most of the stock sport compact cars and even some of the heavily modified ones (I think there's a couple ChryCo minis in the 11's now). If you could make a minivan handle anywhere near as well as something like a MS3 it would be extremely impressive. Unfortunately from the factory they don't and it's still not even that close when you heavily start modifying the suspension, so having something with even part of a minivan's utility and functionality like the Caliber or 3 is good enough for many. Long live the sport hatch or sport wagon.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:14 AM

Love those turbo mini vans. Rare, but they are still around. Had an 85 and an 86 GLH turbo in my day. Lots of fun to say the least.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:22 AM

Some years ago when I had another car I saw one driving a little aggressively. So we had a go and I was really surprised! I never expected an old beat up Chrysler Minivan to be as quick as it was.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:14 AM

http://www.turbominivan.com/
Old 10-05-2008, 08:49 AM

^^^ Good link... the stories are worth reading, if you like to read that is..lol.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
wow miss informed people up the ying yang.

The ms3 now has many good tuning options, it takes bolt on's very well (down pipe alone adds 30hp and intake is about 20hp, bov/recirc keeps boost longer and dyno'd to show 20hp, etc). The is this theory of blowing internals but its happened on STOCK AND modded engines. If i remember right SC cobalts blew engines too when pushed . the rumor on the mazda forums is 350hp is about as much as you want to push with out forged internals. No biggie, its not like bolt ons really get you there anyway, they get you close. The main upgrade is the 35/36t tubro upgrade where ms3's pushed 400whp.

As for that srt person, its road track proven to kill the srt4. its like 17 seconds slower around the ring than the TC balt. I love the TC balt, its a sweet car, much respect for it. I stand up for it all the time on the mazda forums. Rallyracer still says my car feels faster than his, we still havent tried....but its hard to compare a heavly modded SC balt to a near stock ms3, come on. Go find a ms3 with full bolt on's and a pasani or cobb AP tune. But its true our gears are shorter because we have 6...kinda sucks we have to shift well before you balts :/ but from a roll would be decent.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:10 PM

my friend has a ms3,with intake and exhaust. he never pulls me. i think some off it as to do with he isnt the best driver but whatever.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:57 PM

just a cat back exhaust does nothing for power, maybe 5hp maybe. Its the down pipe he needs
Old 10-06-2008, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by northvibe

The ms3 now has many good tuning options, it takes bolt on's very well (down pipe alone adds 30hp and intake is about 20hp, bov/recirc keeps boost longer and dyno'd to show 20hp, etc). The is this theory of blowing internals but its happened on STOCK AND modded engines. If i remember right SC cobalts blew engines too when pushed . the rumor on the mazda forums is 350hp is about as much as you want to push with out forged internals. No biggie, its not like bolt ons really get you there anyway, they get you close. The main upgrade is the 35/36t tubro upgrade where ms3's pushed 400whp.

As for that srt person, its road track proven to kill the srt4. its like 17 seconds slower around the ring than the TC balt. I love the TC balt, its a sweet car, much respect for it. I stand up for it all the time on the mazda forums. Rallyracer still says my car feels faster than his, we still havent tried....but its hard to compare a heavly modded SC balt to a near stock ms3, come on. Go find a ms3 with full bolt on's and a pasani or cobb AP tune. But its true our gears are shorter because we have 6...kinda sucks we have to shift well before you balts :/ but from a roll would be decent.
There is this white MS3 in my area i've been dying to catch up with and race, when i do, lol, u can bet i'll be posting it up on this thread.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by blackbird
My tracks times against a couple different MS3's on the same day, same track, same conditions would seem to back that up. I know my car was stock and assuming they didn't have any modifications the Cobalt was trapping a few mph higher and a couple ticks quicker.

And your car has been called a mini-minivan or a mini SUV, not that there's any problem with that (heck, I drag race an actual minivan on occasion), but some people have different tastes. You're slamming the Mazda pretty hard when we don't know for certain how the LNF is going to hold up. The internals on the Mazda's 2.3L DISI hold up well to the limits of the stock fueling if you don't lean it out too far or get a ton of knock. Really start pushing it and there will need to be some upgrades but I think that's going to be applicable to the LNF as well and more than likely the Chrysler World Engine. The MS3 can put down nice numbers but the dyno charts vary quite a bit and most of that is due to the top-mount intercooler heatsoaking from no air flow like it will see when being driven. It's also pretty peaky and chokes off at mid-5k rpms due to a small exhaust housing.

If you're only wanting to go in a straight line and drag race there probably are better choices than the MS3, but there's no need to continually bash or put it down like it's some piece of crap just because you bought something else. Maybe the MS3 doesn't meet your needs. The fact is the new Cobalt handles slightly better in most of the track testing that's been done so far but the Mazda is still an excellent handling car that has a very good chassis and nice build quality and materials. They're also pretty quick as-is and can be modified and have done fairly well.

Its a man van, or lunchbox. Those are the decided names for it. Im bashing the MS3 hard because most owners of it think theyre the fastest cars on the road, when theyre def not. And like I said before, theyre one of the WORST tuners on the market.

The MS3 attracts mostly scumbags. You should go on their forums. All they do is bash other cars like the MS3 is God's gift. Give me a break. They cant push over 350 whp reliably, and pop pistons all the time.

Not only that, but Ill take my "mini mini van" with its getrag 6 speed, much stronger internals, better clutch, and 1000000x more overall utility than that station wagon ANYDAY.

Im ALL about the straight line . U can keep ur twisties. Also, thats about 20-25ish whp with the DP and intake. Ive seen the dyno's, and the MS3 ends up making about 250ish whp with them.

11.7 @ 120 mph is the current record with just bolt ons, and on a RESTRICTED pcm

Last edited by 1BADSS/SC; 10-07-2008 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-07-2008, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by 1BADSS/SC

Im ALL about the straight line . U can keep ur twisties.
if your all about the straight line why did you buy a FWD car?
Old 10-07-2008, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nismothecat
if your all about the straight line why did you buy a FWD car?
why not??
Old 10-07-2008, 03:29 PM

drag racing a fwd is pointless. kinda like trying to drift a fwd car.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:33 PM

So i went out last night with my buddy and we lined up his ss/sc with stage 2, 2.8, CAI, GMPP touring, against my bone stock ss/tc and did 2nd and 3rd gear pulls to 4000RPM(i'm still in my break in period) i end up taking a car on him each time.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:43 PM

Its a man van, or lunchbox. Those are the decided names for it. Im bashing the MS3 hard because most owners of it think theyre the fastest cars on the road, when theyre def not. And like I said before, theyre one of the WORST tuners on the market.

The MS3 attracts mostly scumbags. You should go on their forums. All they do is bash other cars like the MS3 is God's gift. Give me a break. They cant push over 350 whp reliably, and pop pistons all the time.

Not only that, but Ill take my "mini mini van" with its getrag 6 speed, much stronger internals, better clutch, and 1000000x more overall utility than that station wagon ANYDAY.

Im ALL about the straight line . U can keep ur twisties. Also, thats about 20-25ish whp with the DP and intake. Ive seen the dyno's, and the MS3 ends up making about 250ish whp with them.

11.7 @ 120 mph is the current record with just bolt ons, and on a RESTRICTED pcm

You say ms3 attracts scumbags? you are not only one of them for the dodge community but very ignorant as well. im a ms3 owner and pretty sure I dont believe in god or having my car from "god". get over yourself and realize the world is full of more than just your srt, its full of way better cars :P

the ms3 with dp and intake is more than 250 fyi, road and track just dyno'd with just intake and cbe with 250-260. So yeah...learn not to be a douche.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:01 PM

I've seen MS3s. The only thing I'd change about em would be to go with the 3 sedan, not the 5 door. They're pretty fast, but I'd still go with an SS/TC
Old 10-07-2008, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt2921
I've seen MS3s. The only thing I'd change about em would be to go with the 3 sedan, not the 5 door.
zomg u serious??? then u'd have a GTI, ewwww
Old 10-07-2008, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by 1WhiteSSTC
zomg u serious??? then u'd have a GTI, ewwww
I believe he means a 3 Sedan, not a 3-door hatch, which I don't think Mazda even offers.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:25 PM

You say ms3 attracts scumbags? you are not only one of them for the dodge community but very ignorant as well. im a ms3 owner and pretty sure I dont believe in god or having my car from "god". get over yourself and realize the world is full of more than just your srt, its full of way better cars :P

the ms3 with dp and intake is more than 250 fyi, road and track just dyno'd with just intake and cbe with 250-260. So yeah...learn not to be a douche.
It does attract scumbags. Every one Ive come across has been either a troll, or a complete ass on the road. There are a select few that are good guys. Tell u what about ur MS3.

U go onto a MS3 forum, and tell me how many more negative threads there are vs an SRT forum. Those idiots think their MS3 is the fastest thing on the road the way they bad mouth other cars.

Also, I never said ALL MS3 owners were ********. If u had read what I originally said, u might have understood that before you started running ur mouth. Dont turn into another trolling scumbag MS3 owner.

As for the 250, Im referring to whp. Theres NO WAY IN HELL ur going to gain more than 50 whp with that tiny turbo from just an intake and DP as u claim. Hell, my turbo is much larger and sees gains of 30-40 whp with a DP and drop in. I will give u 50 crank horse, but not 50 whp from those.

Douche? The only thing dousche here is u trolling on a cobalt site when youve probly never even owned one.

Last edited by 1BADSS/SC; 10-07-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:37 PM

my MS3 dynoed at 238whp all stock. once i get it dynoed with my intake im sure it will be about 250.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:55 PM

my MS3 dynoed at 238whp all stock. once i get it dynoed with my intake im sure it will be about 250.
thats impressive. I was talking to another MS3 guy on the SRT forums and he was saying he dynoed about 226 whp stock. I know the CSRT averages about 260whp/260wtq stock. I wish the tq was higher, but I guess thats what stage 1 ( whenever that comes out ) is for.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:21 PM

thats impressive. I was talking to another MS3 guy on the SRT forums and he was saying he dynoed about 226 whp stock. I know the CSRT averages about 260whp/260wtq stock. I wish the tq was higher, but I guess thats what stage 1 ( whenever that comes out ) is for.
because the MS3 has a top mount you have to have a fan on the top mount to get good readings. most people dont do that and the engine heat soaks quickly.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:27 PM

because the MS3 has a top mount you have to have a fan on the top mount to get good readings. most people dont do that and the engine heat soaks quickly.
heat soaking is def an issue. Theres an FMIC upgrade that helps with that from exhaust depot. Im saving up for stage 1 though, so it will be a while before that goes in. I cant wait to see how much of a difference it will make. Everyone on the SRT forums are dancing around like they have crabs in their pants waiting for this thing to come out.

Quick Reply: raced a 08 speed3 tonight