War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Raced a 5.0 today

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raced a 5.0 today

Well it was saturday night and I was crusing back from my sisters house when I decided to check out the local white castle and see what was happening, turns out there were 5 mustangs and a camaro ss sitting outside. So long story short we decide to head out the an industrial park and make a few runs. Well on the way up there i ran this black mustang 5.0, I/H/E from what I was told. I could take him pretty damn easily from a roll, from 35-40 mph in 2nd gear i pulled almost a full car by 80-90. So i was feeling pretty syched (sp?) and decided to run him from a dig at the industrial parks. I lined up against him, waited for the signal and got smoked 3 races in a row. Man do I need to learn how to launch this car, at first i tried launching from idle but i just seemed to bog right off the line, 2nd i tried the same thing just with more gas. Guess it worked a bit better. 3rd and 4th i launched at like 1200 rpm but just couldent seem to get that launch that throws ya back in your seat. Any advice on spanking these mustangs?
Old 10-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 06SS-SC
Well it was saturday night and I was crusing back from my sisters house when I decided to check out the local white castle and see what was happening, turns out there were 5 mustangs and a camaro ss sitting outside. So long story short we decide to head out the an industrial park and make a few runs. Well on the way up there i ran this black mustang 5.0, I/H/E from what I was told. I could take him pretty damn easily from a roll, from 35-40 mph in 2nd gear i pulled almost a full car by 80-90. So i was feeling pretty syched (sp?) and decided to run him from a dig at the industrial parks. I lined up against him, waited for the signal and got smoked 3 races in a row. Man do I need to learn how to launch this car, at first i tried launching from idle but i just seemed to bog right off the line, 2nd i tried the same thing just with more gas. Guess it worked a bit better. 3rd and 4th i launched at like 1200 rpm but just couldent seem to get that launch that throws ya back in your seat. Any advice on spanking these mustangs?
traction mods and build your tranny lol
Old 10-29-2006, 12:40 PM

impulseballer: I had a torque damper on my list of mods but will that help me hook up better or just prevent wheelhop. I suppose it would let you launch a bit harder without having to let off for wheelhop but isnt tirespin bad anyways.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 06SS-SC
impulseballer: I had a torque damper on my list of mods but will that help me hook up better or just prevent wheelhop. I suppose it would let you launch a bit harder without having to let off for wheelhop but isnt tirespin bad anyways.
i mean i dont have traction mods yet but I know if you want less wheel hop, control arm bushigns are great for less cabin vibration but after that you need the solid motor mounts etc.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:55 PM

You'll still get tirespin with the torque damper. The torqu damper, motor mounts, trans. mounts, and CAB, will help out traction a lot. However, to really learn how to launch will take practice.

Try launching it from idle. A few guys reccomend that. Also, learning how to feather the clutch, and keep the boost regulated via throttle control in 1st will help out. It just takes practice...
Old 10-29-2006, 12:57 PM

Hmm supposed i just need to get used to launching a car with torque, i could launch my ford probe gt pretty well but that car didnt have enough torque to really break the tires loose as extreame as my cobalt does. I cant seem the get the launch from idle down, either i bog it and take off too slow or give it too much gas and smoke the tires. I cant win lol