War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.
View Poll Results: Win or Lose
Win
29.41%
Lose
70.59%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Racing a '99 LS1 TA tonight

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 02:34 AM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
alright well uhm...think what you want but. i beat him hahah
Old 01-12-2009, 02:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, lets not let things like whp and weight stand in the way...

this is no different than the LS1 guys with lightly modded cars boasting about beating terminator Cobras from a roll, its not happening... the only difference with that is the guy in the Cobra "might" have missed a gear, in a race with an auto, you can't even have that cop out...

we don't have a 1/4 mile here, but bone stock(down to the air filter) my auto trans am trapped 86mph through the 1/8th, and that is with the Southeast humidity... see I went and dug around in my photobucket for old time slips, here are a few:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e7...g?t=1231747182

http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e7...ameightsix.jpg
(bone stock)

http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e7...&current=8.jpg
(with the gears, lid, exhaust, on the stock tune and drag radials)

and just for laughs:

current all motor passes on new tune and 3200 stall:
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e7...g?t=1231747612

and a nitrous pull:
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e7...g?t=1231747634

and like I said, here in Alabama, we don't trap or run what others do in other geographical locations, because of our humidity, its equivalent to running at a higher altitude, so trapping 93 through the 1/8th is pretty damn good for down here in May, if I would have made it to the track in the fall last year, I would have improved those a good bit

and as I said, the cars aren't exactly known for their 1/8th mile times, they are A LOT stronger the next 660ft... I.E. their top end

but with that, I am retiring from this topic... I will never convince you other wise, and I know better... So, i'll just leave it with that... and go back to talking about my Cobalt here, which is why I am here... my other car will stay parked in my shop, where it is now...

Last edited by 08inBama; 01-12-2009 at 03:16 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 08inBama
but with that, I am retiring from this topic... I will never convince you other wise, and I know better... So, i'll just leave it with that... and go back to talking about my Cobalt here, which is why I am here... my other car will stay parked in my shop, where it is now...
sooo. you're gonna stop talking because you can't convince me that i lost a race i actually won??? ....good one.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Banned

Its really not worth convincing this guy. From a 40 Roll he thinks his car is "insane" stock. I mean think about it...Chevy making a COBALT faster than a LS1 is hillarious. Look up trap speeds in the QTR mile. That should tell you the whole story. If its trapping 6MPH faster, It's not because of the launch, its because from a roll they are even stronger. My SS/TC stock raped a SS/SC with I/E from a 40 roll and I have yet to beat a LS1 from anyspeed.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:44 AM

What the hell people, do this many people really still have no idea how quick a LS1 car is? They are mid 13 second cars in any form period to think some run 14's is idiotic and simply a case of a terrible driver.

As for you 08inBama it's great that your sticking up for the LS1 but you still don't know jack squat. To hear even a LS1 owner claim the are better from a roll than dig shows his lack of knowledge and or driving ability. To say they fear boost is also amusing, the fact that they will only take a few psi means nothing when you see what they do with it.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:17 PM

that is my point, its not that they fear boost, its that you'll probably never see one running 20psi, like even Cobras can... but like you said 6-8psi, is all you need... And on that same note, they love nitrous...

I didn't say better from a roll, they have a kick ass top end, of course with the live axle, they can launch vicious as well, but well compare it for instance to a Lt1, which it succeeded and has been mentioned in this topic... A LT1 has a lot of low end torque, but kind of falls on its face on the top end... The Ls1 doesn't do that...
Old 01-12-2009, 02:36 PM

that is my point, its not that they fear boost, its that you'll probably never see one running 20psi, like even Cobras can... but like you said 6-8psi, is all you need... And on that same note, they love nitrous...

I didn't say better from a roll, they have a kick ass top end, of course with the live axle, they can launch vicious as well, but well compare it for instance to a Lt1, which it succeeded and has been mentioned in this topic... A LT1 has a lot of low end torque, but kind of falls on its face on the top end... The Ls1 doesn't do that...

What the hell would you need to run 20psi for a cool forum signature addition?

As for LS1 vs LT1 when it comes to torque look at a dyno of both and get back to me.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Banned

My friends built Ls1 motor runs 20psi.

He made about 1100whp.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by SLoW SHO
My friends built Ls1 motor runs 20psi.
Exactly
Old 01-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

i just still think its funny that you guys are trying to tell me that i lost a race that i won. maybe i should hav elost. but i didn't, so oh well
Old 01-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS2guy
Exactly
Yes forged pistons, rods, nitrated crank. He didn't pop the stock hypercraptic pistons till about 650whp. And that was only on about 8psi.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:07 PM

I'd like to race the ls1 cars that you guys race, because all the ones I race seem to be quite a bit faster. Too date, the only ls1 car's I've beaten are bone stock '04 GTO's. But I'm fairly modded.

ditto to you.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:12 AM

What the hell would you need to run 20psi for a cool forum signature addition?

As for LS1 vs LT1 when it comes to torque look at a dyno of both and get back to me.

way to totally miss my point, of course the LS1 puts down more torque than the Lt1, that is why it SUCCEEDED it

my point was, Lt1s are KNOWN for their low end torque, they fall on their face after 90mph... Whereas with a LS1, yes you have some low end torque(as with just about any SBC), but it doesn't fall on its face at 90mph

and why do you need 20psi? you don't, my point was... You aren't going to see 20 psi on most "streetable" Ls1s...

that is why I said they love the juice more than boost, not that they don't take to boost well, they do, just not a lot of it...

Like you won't run a 175 shot on a Cobalt, you aren't going to run 18 psi on most Ls1s

with that being said, right now i'm spraying a 125 shot, on a basically stock LS1(tuned of course, with Hptuners, not some canned crap) as far as power mods(only power mods it has is 3" exhaust, which is basically for sound, doesn't do much on a dyno and a SLP lid, I have gears and a 3200 stall but those aren't "power" mods, **** i'm still running the stock exhaust manifolds, no headers)... have sprayed a 150 shot a few times as well
Old 01-13-2009, 09:12 AM

way to totally miss my point, of course the LS1 puts down more torque than the Lt1, that is why it SUCCEEDED it

my point was, Lt1s are KNOWN for their low end torque, they fall on their face after 90mph... Whereas with a LS1, yes you have some low end torque(as with just about any SBC), but it doesn't fall on its face at 90mph

and why do you need 20psi? you don't, my point was... You aren't going to see 20 psi on most "streetable" Ls1s...

that is why I said they love the juice more than boost, not that they don't take to boost well, they do, just not a lot of it...

Like you won't run a 175 shot on a Cobalt, you aren't going to run 18 psi on most Ls1s

with that being said, right now i'm spraying a 125 shot, on a basically stock LS1(tuned of course, with Hptuners, not some canned crap) as far as power mods(only power mods it has is 3" exhaust, which is basically for sound, doesn't do much on a dyno and a SLP lid, I have gears and a 3200 stall but those aren't "power" mods, **** i'm still running the stock exhaust manifolds, no headers)... have sprayed a 150 shot a few times as well

You still don't understand do you?

I don't care what you have done or what shot of nitrous a LS1 can handle. When it comes to basic LSx or F-Body knowledge you don't know as much as you think you do, period. The fact that you belive a LT1 has no top end is proof of this fact. Sure they aren't as fast as the LS1 but they don't fall on there face.

You are the one that mentioned the LT1 like it was an all torque engine compared to the LS1. From day one I have laughed when folks said LS1's were better from a roll vs a dig, they pull from idle to redline and 0mph to whatever.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:50 PM

You still don't understand do you?

I don't care what you have done or what shot of nitrous a LS1 can handle. When it comes to basic LSx or F-Body knowledge you don't know as much as you think you do, period. The fact that you belive a LT1 has no top end is proof of this fact. Sure they aren't as fast as the LS1 but they don't fall on there face.

You are the one that mentioned the LT1 like it was an all torque engine compared to the LS1. From day one I have laughed when folks said LS1's were better from a roll vs a dig, they pull from idle to redline and 0mph to whatever.
Guy, I've owned Ls1 f-bodies since I was 17(two in fact)... I would say i'm more of a V8 guy, than a 4-cylinder guy... where you get in your head that I haven't been comparing the LT1 to the LS1, I don't understand... So now with that being said, can you honestly tell me a Lt1 has the top end of a LS1??? Compared to the LS1, they fall on their face, as in after 100mph, the Lt1 might as well be letting up...I never said LT1s were "all torque" I said, the have a much notable reputation in their low end torque, than their top end because honestly 0-60, a Lt1 will hang with a LS1 car... whereas a LS1 is the other way around, after 100, they keep on pulling HARD... and read that word for word.. That doesn't mean the LS1 has less low torque than a Lt1...

what you are doing is playing my words the way you want to make it seem like you "know it all", just like you tried to do with the whole fearing boost thing, because even if you are making 515whp on 8psi, that is still not "a lot" of boost... and a LS1 is going to pull a LT1 from a roll, a dig, idle to redline, whatever race you want to do, so I don't know what part of left field you were shooting for in that comment...

But I think its great we are having Lt1-vs-LS1 argument #1,004,563 on Cobaltss.net, and this is why you don't mention cars not specific to a board, on said board...

I mean obviously you are here to troll... you don't even own a SS Cobalt

so once again, and I plead, can we just drop this... because I don't want to become one of those people that "is a LS1 f-body fan boy" every time I mention the damn car... I'm not, yes, I own one, but I am here to discuss my cobalt, I'll keep my Trans Am's discussion, on f-body boards................you know, where we should be arguing this... the problem is there, people are going to tell you "yeah, the Lt1s are known for their low end torque, not their top end"... you know that, that is why you are on cobaltss.net arguing Small Block Chevys, because you don't know as much as you think and get tired of people reminding you that on LS1tech

Last edited by 08inBama; 01-13-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:52 PM

I think what 08inBama was trying to say when he said LS1's are better from a roll is...

They're better than most cars from a roll. I agree 100%. Every LS1 F-Body I've raced has crazy top end power.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey i did a roll race with a T/A not the gen like the 01's what ever generation before that anywho i was ahead of him until i got into 5th and he jumped in front and i hung with him until he shut off. i was at his passenger door with my front bumper but until shifting into 5th i was in front of him by a half car. i guess thats what those extra 4 cyl. were for lol. i think he was all stock and was running bad. the car was... he had a poof of black smoke for a second but yea i def had him. i didnt race him from a dig but there is another meet this thursday and if not DEF sunday. so0o0o we'll see oh and i'm ALL stock except for a K&N Drop In. well speaking cobalt wise its a K&N shove in lol

hold on could it have been an LT1? i'm not so great on the T/A's knowledge so correct me if i'm wrong. all i know it was a V8 and had enough ***** to stay with me

Last edited by 06SS ALL DAY; 01-13-2009 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-13-2009, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

hey 08bama, if lt1's have a nice low end torque how come i got a 95 auto Z28 with intake, and headers back exhaust from a roll and a dig?
Old 01-13-2009, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by EXsoccer1921
hey 08bama, if lt1's have a nice low end torque how come i got a 95 auto Z28 with intake, and headers back exhaust from a roll and a dig?
Well could we maybe stack this in the BS pile also? Bone stock I got both of my LT1's to run a 13.9 with those similar mods a 13.7 @ 103mph. Sure on average they were low 14 second cars but were still faster than my 2005 SS/SC.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

no, sorry, this one isn't going in the bs pile either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW0ZtghPBSM

enjoy.

Last edited by EXsoccer1921; 01-13-2009 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-13-2009, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by D1sclaimer
I think what 08inBama was trying to say when he said LS1's are better from a roll is...

They're better than most cars from a roll. I agree 100%. Every LS1 F-Body I've raced has crazy top end power.
He is just trying to put a spin on his story because he has made this comment before and I got on his case then too. In general for owning a LS1 he doesn't know **** and should quit acting like he does.

Originally Posted by EXsoccer1921
no, sorry, this one isn't going in the bs pile either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW0ZtghPBSM

enjoy.

Will you get it through your ******* head already, there is not one person here that will agree that you beat the car period. It is called beating the driver or your playing with cars that have not only seen better days but years.

Just a little factoid for you also:

Unless an F-Body owner is a true LT1 junkie or they drive one with 2,000miles you can almost bet money on the opti-spark needing replacement. On one that is simply worn or just starting to fail the only real signs are reduced performance. My 1996 Firebird Formula ran 14.01 when cool and mid 15's when hot thanks to a failing opti-spark.

Last edited by LS2guy; 01-13-2009 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-13-2009, 07:41 PM

Guy, I've owned Ls1 f-bodies since I was 17(two in fact)... I would say i'm more of a V8 guy, than a 4-cylinder guy... where you get in your head that I haven't been comparing the LT1 to the LS1, I don't understand... So now with that being said, can you honestly tell me a Lt1 has the top end of a LS1??? Compared to the LS1, they fall on their face, as in after 100mph, the Lt1 might as well be letting up...I never said LT1s were "all torque" I said, the have a much notable reputation in their low end torque, than their top end because honestly 0-60, a Lt1 will hang with a LS1 car... whereas a LS1 is the other way around, after 100, they keep on pulling HARD... and read that word for word.. That doesn't mean the LS1 has less low torque than a Lt1...

what you are doing is playing my words the way you want to make it seem like you "know it all", just like you tried to do with the whole fearing boost thing, because even if you are making 515whp on 8psi, that is still not "a lot" of boost... and a LS1 is going to pull a LT1 from a roll, a dig, idle to redline, whatever race you want to do, so I don't know what part of left field you were shooting for in that comment...

But I think its great we are having Lt1-vs-LS1 argument #1,004,563 on Cobaltss.net, and this is why you don't mention cars not specific to a board, on said board...

I mean obviously you are here to troll... you don't even own a SS Cobalt

so once again, and I plead, can we just drop this... because I don't want to become one of those people that "is a LS1 f-body fan boy" every time I mention the damn car... I'm not, yes, I own one, but I am here to discuss my cobalt, I'll keep my Trans Am's discussion, on f-body boards................you know, where we should be arguing this... the problem is there, people are going to tell you "yeah, the Lt1s are known for their low end torque, not their top end"... you know that, that is why you are on cobaltss.net arguing Small Block Chevys, because you don't know as much as you think and get tired of people reminding you that on LS1tech
This is exactly why you NEED people that own other cars to post on boards like this. If there weren't mustang, gto, vette, f-body, srt, evo, etc. owners on here, there would be bs kills left and right. You need a balance and as long as it's not cluttering up the technical sections, I think it's a positive thing.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

ls2guy it doesn't matter what shape the car is in. he wanted to race. so i raced him. his mods were intake, headers, full exhaust, msd ignition and valvsprings. so we raced from a dig, i won. we raced from a roll, i won. theres the video watch it. watch me beat him both times.

i'm trying to get my friend in the ls1 to race me again so we can tape it.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:01 PM

not going to comment an any bodies post or defend my own but i own all three just purchacsed an 04 gto with cai, and my sig has the rest. cobalt and formula run a close race its anybodies game, but the goat will walk the dog with either of the others from a dig or roll
Old 01-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by blown07
not going to comment an any bodies post or defend my own but i own all three just purchacsed an 04 gto with cai, and my sig has the rest. cobalt and formula run a close race its anybodies game, but the goat will walk the dog with either of the others from a dig or roll
well this thread isn't about GTOs so.....thank for the input but nice cars btw

Quick Reply: Racing a '99 LS1 TA tonight