War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

RX7 Pawnage

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rx7's can be very quick cars. I own one now (88 convertable) and have built up several. A second gen can be made much quicker then a balt with less money hands down. We built up a 86 na and turbo charged it for under 2k and that included the car. It ran a 12.7. The third gen guys do baby there cars like was mentioned. But it would be hard not to baby one . They are simply awesome cars. They are listed as a super car now. As far as reliability the engines are very picky when it comes to heat. They are a high maintenance car. The reason the engines in the second and third gen blew the apex seals are due to the way the rotor sweeps across the intake and exhaust ports. They tend to hop on them with higher mileage. This has been addressed in the rx8 so there should be much more reliable. As far as rx8's sucking. They where not built to be a 1/4 miles car. They where designed for track racing and they do a hell of a job at it. The rx8's can be modded pretty heavily and perform great in a 1.4 mile but it does take some cash. The ultimate swap on into any of them cars is a 20b motor. I would never say in a million years that rx7's suck. They where and are a very competitive car much more then a cobalt is. Dont get me wrong I love the balts but if I was going to do a track day in a modded cobalt or a modded rx7 it wouldn't even cross my mind once to sit in a cobalt.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CobaltPerformanceParts
Rx7's can be very quick cars. I own one now (88 convertable) and have built up several. A second gen can be made much quicker then a balt with less money hands down. We built up a 86 na and turbo charged it for under 2k and that included the car. It ran a 12.7. The third gen guys do baby there cars like was mentioned. But it would be hard not to baby one . They are simply awesome cars. They are listed as a super car now. As far as reliability the engines are very picky when it comes to heat. They are a high maintenance car. The reason the engines in the second and third gen blew the apex seals are due to the way the rotor sweeps across the intake and exhaust ports. They tend to hop on them with higher mileage. This has been addressed in the rx8 so there should be much more reliable. As far as rx8's sucking. They where not built to be a 1/4 miles car. They where designed for track racing and they do a hell of a job at it. The rx8's can be modded pretty heavily and perform great in a 1.4 mile but it does take some cash. The ultimate swap on into any of them cars is a 20b motor. I would never say in a million years that rx7's suck. They where and are a very competitive car much more then a cobalt is. Dont get me wrong I love the balts but if I was going to do a track day in a modded cobalt or a modded rx7 it wouldn't even cross my mind once to sit in a cobalt.

i couldnt agree more. apex seals blowing sucks. i've turned down too many rx7's due to blown seals. and ive almost bought a few that flooded due to people turning the car off before it warms up. they are picky engines but they are high revving little bastards. i'd almost kill for a 87 turbo 2. one of my favorite cars ever, hands down.

and didnt mazda just recall a bunch of rx8s to put new engines in them??
Old 03-28-2007, 12:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CobaltPerformanceParts
awwwww no cobalt love!!!
Old 03-28-2007, 12:14 AM

lol
RX7's are sexy and fast, but im just as happy with my SS !
Old 03-28-2007, 12:22 AM

Haha sorry guys. You know I still have love for the balts but I would be a fool to say they are not better cars out there.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jeremie
i wouldnt really call it underestimated. he beat a 22 year old car with a 1.1 n/a engine lol
Good call. LOL

This thread makes me lowl
Old 03-28-2007, 12:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NJHK
Good call. LOL

This thread makes me lowl
when you lowl, do you make the same face you're making in your sig?
Old 03-28-2007, 12:51 AM

Not quite...that's usually when I letting a load out or getting kicked in the *****.

By the way, you can keep your damn Turbo II...I wants me a 3rd gen biznitch!
Old 03-28-2007, 12:53 AM
Banned

ahh gotcha. well you can get your damn 3rd gen cause umm..yeah. i got nothing
Old 03-28-2007, 12:58 AM

LOL p0wn3d like the 1st Gen RX-7

hahahaha
Old 03-28-2007, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by NJHK
Not quite...that's usually when I letting a load out or getting kicked in the *****.

By the way, you can keep your damn Turbo II...I wants me a 3rd gen biznitch!

You better not beat me to a 3rd gen! I have been looking for a long time :P.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:13 AM
Banned

The guy in the RX-7 comes from a family of racers who stand by the Mazda emblem. Good family I know the older brother real well. Drove a 3rd gen TT till he was front ended by guy in truck. They bought the RX-7 back from insurance and him and the father have been repairing it and turning it into a straight drag only car. I've seen it and it would eat many alive. They're still working on it but estimating low 11's high 10's without nos.
They started a racing team a few years back and have asked me to join a couple times.
They call themselves Downshift.
Never had enough money between car payments and saving for a house to be out tearing my car up. Though I have plans to get a third gen Camaro and do a LS7 swap with a Eaton Roots Blower and T56 tranny with 9in rear to see if I can compete with that 3rd gen RX-7 TT.