War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Speed contest court on 6/18/12

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed contest court on 6/18/12

Ok so a couple months back i got pulled over for "engaging in a speed contest" got my car impounded (got it out same day for $100) and have to appear in court on the 18th of June to find out my sentencing. The police officer did not clock either one of us. (badly slipping clutch so i shifted to 3rd at RL in 2nd then let off so I was going about 80/45) he just simply pulled in front of us and took our keys, at first he was very stern and aggressive, but after a while he calmed down and was being civil with us since we were being very cooperative. yes sir, no sir, etc.

my driving record consists of 1 speeding ticket around 4 years ago. another speeding ticket which i deferred 10 months ago and now this speed contest and then unfortunately i just got pulled over and got a ticket for unreasonable speed this past friday the 8th of June. So going into court i believe I will have 0 points showing on my license with the ticket from 4 years ago and the ticket that was deferred 10 months ago correct? What kind of fines/penalties could i possibly be looking at? and also will the ticket i just got on friday show up in court? i'm thinking it won't since it's not due until aug. 2nd.

Needless to say I won't be racing again and along side of that i'm scared to even drive now because I don't want to go to jail nore ruin my reccord anymore and screw my chances of employment up being that i graduate from college Aug. 7th.

Last edited by N1ckateen; 06-12-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With a clean record and the fact that he did not clock you and hopefully has 0 evidence aside from his word you may get off easy. Don't get ur hopes too high tho.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:25 AM

my hopes are way down in the *******. i'm expecting around 800 dollars or so in fines. 20+ hours community service. 8 points on my lisence. high as hell insurance rates. have to sell the car. and will be unable to get employed in my job field because it will require driving a company vihicle to job sites.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:30 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
I got a DUI 2 years before I graduated, I found a job okay out of college

Yea, it sucks to be in your shoes. I was there with the DUI. Thought my college years were going to be for nothing with an eyesore like a DUI charge sitting on my record.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:32 AM

other thing i'm most worried about is jail time. I've never been anywhere remotely close to this magnitude of trouble so idk what to expect. all i know is hefty hefty fines and maximum of 90 days in jail.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:50 AM

The court will have all the data on every time you got a ticket. It will also show if points were removed or if the ticket was changed or dropped.

I'm not sure what your going to get, but with all those citations, it does not bode well.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:00 PM

I got a speed contest ticket about 10 years ago, cost me 2 points on my license and 1500 bucks. It was on my driving record for 7 years. It was also my first ticket ever.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:07 PM

Should of ran
Old 06-12-2012, 12:21 PM

Is your most recent speeding ticket at the same court as the speed contest? They shouldn't be able to see that most recent ticket, but considering both your previous tickets are speeding that won't be happy at all to see you haven't "changed". You won't see 8 points, at most 4 but that's still on the high side of it. You will see fines, lots of them. So try to free up as much cash as you can and be very nice so they give you plenty of time to pay. Now your court date for your next speeding ticket is going to be hell. They will see everything and most likely rape you for it. Highest fine possible and they might try to add safety violations to your charge. This isn't to scare you just to make sure your aware.

Overall I would say don't worry too much about the speed contest, just do your homework and don't go in empty handed. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes!
Old 06-12-2012, 12:27 PM

Depends on your state, in most states you don't have to be clocked nor do you have to be exceeding the posted speed limit. Say you and a buddy line up at a light and you want to see who can go 0-60 the fastest. The speed limit is 70. If a cop sees you line up and run, even if it's just to 60, in many states that is considered a contest of speed. The first thing you should do is find the motor vehicle code for your state and read the exact wording of the section written on the ticket. You can't argue if you don't know what you're arguing against.

I know it's MORE money on top of what you could be facing in fines, but it might be worth your time to consult with a lawyer.

What are the terms of your deferred ticket? Usually a deferral means if you have no other moving violations within a year then it's dropped, so that will still show. The ticket from 4 years ago will show, but the recent ticket will not show *as a conviction* - HOWEVER, it may still show up as a "pending charge."

I would really look at the possibility of a lawyer. With this charge, and 2 prior charges, plus a possible charge showing as pending, I'm going to guess a judge is going to throw the book at you. Especially since you've gotten a ticket since the one you're going to court for, they'll probably see it as you didn't learn your lesson. Also, if the judge asks you if you've been pulled over for anything since DO NOT LIE. Chances are if they ask that, they know about the other ticket. At the very least, they can look it up. Tickets like that are public record.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:27 PM

i got an engaged in a speed contest ticket in 03. cost me $1106, my insurance doubled for a while, i was on 6 months informal probation(get caught street racing or at the street races and it was 6 month jail no questions asked) and almost lost my license. good luck.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by noorjariri
Is your most recent speeding ticket at the same court as the speed contest? They shouldn't be able to see that most recent ticket, but considering both your previous tickets are speeding that won't be happy at all to see you haven't "changed". You won't see 8 points, at most 4 but that's still on the high side of it. You will see fines, lots of them. So try to free up as much cash as you can and be very nice so they give you plenty of time to pay. Now your court date for your next speeding ticket is going to be hell. They will see everything and most likely rape you for it. Highest fine possible and they might try to add safety violations to your charge. This isn't to scare you just to make sure your aware.

Overall I would say don't worry too much about the speed contest, just do your homework and don't go in empty handed. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes!
Most states have open records. I can view anyone's citations in Pennsylvania, right down to parking tickets. I have *ZERO* law enforcement or judicial privledges. Doesn't have to be a conviction. I can see how much the fine was, whether you were found guilty or not guilty, whether the ticket was dropped, what municipality it happend in, who the district justice was, etc.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:33 PM

That's why it's not worth it to race on the street. I have done it in the past (but I don't plan on doing it in the future) but you get in more trouble than it's really worth.

Originally Posted by alleycat58
Most states have open records. I can view anyone's citations in Pennsylvania, right down to parking tickets. I have *ZERO* law enforcement or judicial privledges. Doesn't have to be a conviction. I can see how much the fine was, whether you were found guilty or not guilty, whether the ticket was dropped, what municipality it happend in, who the district justice was, etc.
How do you do that? I've heard about doing it before but I've never actually done it myself.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by 06_cobalt
How do you do that? I've heard about doing it before but I've never actually done it myself.
Your state may or may not be online.

Pennsylvania's Unified Judicial System

That is PA's site. You can choose which court system you'd like to look under.

If you want to see traffic tickets, they're under Magisterial District Courts. Then there are 3 sub-types - criminal, traffic, and non-traffic. Traffic is designated by a "TR"

Just pick search by participant name, put in a semi-common name, then where it says "and any combination of", pick a county. Allegheny County is Pittsburgh so it's pretty densely populated.

For other states you may have to look around. MOST states are going electronic, some places you may still have to go to the courthouse.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:48 PM

Here's one for Virginia. Looks like traffic would also be under district courts.

Case Status and Information
Old 06-12-2012, 02:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get a lawyer u'll be very happy....
Old 06-12-2012, 02:57 PM

DO what alleycat said, check the exact civic vehicle code (CVC here in California) that the cop refers too. Read the ticket like 10 times and make sure that he has all of the information right about you and the car (improper information can cause the case to be thrown out). I would definitely get a lawyer for it, even if its like $1k think about what him being able to plea it down might do for insurance and such. If you're still in college, I'm guessing your young and insurance on a male under like 30 is astro-****** -nomical anyways, you don't need this to add to the premiums. Most lawyers will offer a free consultation call a few talk to them see what they can do. Do it today cuz a few might be booked next week. Let the lawyer know about the next ticket you are going to fight to so he can give you some guidance about that. Too many people go to court just to see if the cop shows then the cop does and they have to pay a fine anyways, don't let the system **** you dude, get a lawyer and let them fight for you.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
this can go either way. doesn't hurt to consult a lawyer. as for not being able to drive to work. i think in some cases an agreement can be reached where you have a curfew and conditions to your driving IE, only allowed to drive to and from work.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:01 PM

Received 222 Likes on 182 Posts
not to threqad jack but i had a ticket that was dismissed and now it says this on the internet after dismissed

Defendant DL-38 - Failure to Respond
Scheduled

anyone have any ideas what it means?
Old 06-12-2012, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by RyRidesMotox
DO what alleycat said, check the exact civic vehicle code (CVC here in California) that the cop refers too. Read the ticket like 10 times and make sure that he has all of the information right about you and the car (improper information can cause the case to be thrown out). I would definitely get a lawyer for it, even if its like $1k think about what him being able to plea it down might do for insurance and such. If you're still in college, I'm guessing your young and insurance on a male under like 30 is astro-****** -nomical anyways, you don't need this to add to the premiums. Most lawyers will offer a free consultation call a few talk to them see what they can do. Do it today cuz a few might be booked next week. Let the lawyer know about the next ticket you are going to fight to so he can give you some guidance about that. Too many people go to court just to see if the cop shows then the cop does and they have to pay a fine anyways, don't let the system **** you dude, get a lawyer and let them fight for you.
That's actually no longer true. I had a ticket where they had my first AND last names misspelled and the make of the car wrong and it still held up because he had my DL # and License plate correct.

Definitely do the lawyer thing. If jail time is involved and it's not a felony, a lot of times you can do something where you take probation and whatever other conditions the judge sets forth, you complete those conditions and then it comes off of your record. I know most places allow you to do this as a first-time DUI offender.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by royce777
not to threqad jack but i had a ticket that was dismissed and now it says this on the internet after dismissed

Defendant DL-38 - Failure to Respond
Scheduled

anyone have any ideas what it means?
Do you have the paperwork saying it was dismissed? I take it it was dismissed at court? If it was dismissed at the DJ's office, when they give you your fine - admin fee or whatever you have left back, they usually give you something that says it was dismissed/fine lowered/whatever.

It should say somewhere on there "withdrawn" next to the charges. If it doesn't say that, then in the system it may not be dismissed, I would just call the DJ's office with the docket number and ask about the status.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:28 PM

Well maybe you shoulda kept that orange Balt you bought. At least then you wouldn't be able to go that fast
Old 06-12-2012, 03:32 PM

Lawyer up.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle4236
Well maybe you shoulda kept that orange Balt you bought. At least then you wouldn't be able to go that fast
I almost mentioned the orange Cobalt. It's probably a good thing he wasn't in the orange one. Was along the night the orange one got pulled over for going 100+ mph through a staging area for a DUI checkpoint.

The orange one was a cop magnet. And Cavalier magnet. And mailbox magnet. And hillside magnet. Also witnessed the hillside incident first-hand.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:44 PM

Received 222 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by alleycat58
Do you have the paperwork saying it was dismissed? I take it it was dismissed at court? If it was dismissed at the DJ's office, when they give you your fine - admin fee or whatever you have left back, they usually give you something that says it was dismissed/fine lowered/whatever.

It should say somewhere on there "withdrawn" next to the charges. If it doesn't say that, then in the system it may not be dismissed, I would just call the DJ's office with the docket number and ask about the status.
ill check my paperwork but they gave me collateral money back?

Quick Reply: Speed contest court on 6/18/12