War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

SS S/C vs 300c srt8

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Onyx Dragon
There's one muscle car that fits the bill, as I said, GTO. Just like there's only one pony car left, the Mustang. Though with the Camaro coming back, and the challenger, that'll be two. The Charger is not a muscle car. It was Mercedes trying to cash in on a name plate that they didn't care about the history of.
Onyx, are you saying that the only real "muscle" car is the GTO based on the its horse-power rating? Although the GTO has 400 horses, I would think one would not forget the Mustang, or the Corvette. Maybe I am missing the distinction between a "pony" car and a "muscle" car.

If you look back on history, the only two muscle cars that have survived the test of time has been the Mustang, and Corvette.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:59 AM

the old corvette and the old mustang were muscle car....
the new mustang and corvette have nothing in comon with the old ones, big block engine with carburators!, made of STEEL!! smelling gaz and shaking from everywhere at 160 kph! they dont do car like that anymore! that is the old "muscle car" they dont produce them anymore, now they make sport cars not muscle car.

prodigy is right

some people have other opignions but that is mine.

Last edited by h0l0caust; 07-26-2007 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-26-2007, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by prodigy
Most people don't consider the Corvette or Mustang muscle cars. The Corvette is a true sports car and the Mustang is the reason the term Pony car was coined.
Originally Posted by h0l0caust
the new mustang and corvette have nothing in comon with the old ones, big block engine with carburators!, made of STEEL!! smelling gaz and shaking from everywhere at 160 kph! they dont do car like that anymore! that is the old "muscle car" they dont produce them anymore, now they make sport cars not muscle car.

prodigy is right

Yeah, I understand where you two are coming from but at the same time, we have to move forward as technology advances. So although rattling engines, burning fuel, iron blocks, etc are things that defined muscle cars in the past; technology is too advanced today.

The closest you're going to get to a muscle car will be the GTO, Mustang, Charger, and Corvette.

To me, the only car that looks to be 100% muscle from the old days; Dodge Challenger. I'm not a Dodge guy, and if I didn't have my Cobra, I would seriously look at picking up a Challenger.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:56 PM
NYT

Originally Posted by WPG SS/SC
You just proved my point even more!! Its VERY obvious that it wasn't an SRT, and even after the guy said himself it wasn't.
Ok now just about anyone that keeps up with cars these days will know an SRT8 is no joke. The thing has over 400hp/tq for *** sakes, Of course its gonna move very well!
So back I go to my question from before - WHAT DO YOU GUYS CARE WHAT A BUNCH OF 'IMMATURE TEENAGERS' HAVE TO SAY ON THERE OWN FORUM??
i think its because we are bored at work and are in desperate need of some form of entertainment. i know thats why i wasted time to come on here and check out what these boy racers were talking about.

as far as the SRT8s not being muscle cars, i would have to disagree. when i was raised, a muscle car was anything that was fast straight from the factory. this would include mustangs (even though i hate ford), lsx vehicles, v6 motors with heat, etc.

i dont consider or begin to consider front wheel drive cars muscle in any regard. you may be quick, but at the end of the day, youre a commuter car.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by 04Venom
Yeah, I understand where you two are coming from but at the same time, we have to move forward as technology advances. So although rattling engines, burning fuel, iron blocks, etc are things that defined muscle cars in the past; technology is too advanced today.

The closest you're going to get to a muscle car will be the GTO, Mustang, Charger, and Corvette.

To me, the only car that looks to be 100% muscle from the old days; Dodge Challenger. I'm not a Dodge guy, and if I didn't have my Cobra, I would seriously look at picking up a Challenger.
your right
Old 07-26-2007, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by NYT
when i was raised, a muscle car was anything that was fast straight from the factory. this would include mustangs (even though i hate ford), lsx vehicles, v6 motors with heat, etc.
Thats what I thought....

Challenger, Camaro, Mustang and their matching counterparts = pony car.

GTO, Charger, Nova and their matching counterparts = muscle car.

Corvette = sports car.
So what about the Mach l 428 Cobra Jet? Muscle car or pony car?
Old 07-26-2007, 04:18 PM

If I ever lost to a Cobalt SS S/C, I would throw my Charger of a cliff
Old 07-26-2007, 04:39 PM

Let's agree on, muscle car in a pony car chassis.
I can agree with that....
Old 07-26-2007, 05:28 PM

Hey, anybody here got any more popcorn? I've seen to run out and the show ain't over...
Old 07-26-2007, 10:27 PM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carlos Garza
A troll statement if I ever saw one.

After all.. your car can never lose against a cobalt.

I'm willing to bet there are a few members on here that would have you heaving that thing over some edge.

Now I don't drive my car like it's the fastest car ever, because it's not.

But don't come here with the attitude of some high school punk who thinks they are faster than everyone else.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carlos Garza
Poor Charger.... it will be at the end of its life very soon..... is it a R/T or SRT???
Old 07-27-2007, 08:27 AM

is it just me or are some of the peeps commenting on here from other forums? not that I really care... but I think it's weird.... I have no desire to go post on the SRT, GTO (don't get me wrong I love both of those cars) or any other forum for that matter!
I like that other people come here and give input... but don't be so damn (my car is better/faster than yours).... why must it always become a pissing contest?

I have no misconceptions of what my SC is or who I can or can not beat.... why must there be so much conflict? after all, we all love cars and should learn to appreciate all cars! I have owned over 25 cars ranging from BMW M6 to Ford Fiesta to 70 charger to MR2 to my SC..... to me it all about having fun!!! When you race... you win some and you lose some... hey, it's just like life

Can't we all get along, band together and work at changing the driving laws to get the idiots out of the fast lane, make people use their turn signals, promote better driver education and so on! geeze... I must sound like a geek

and Carlos Garza w/ the SRT-8, nice car and sweet speedo pics.... I would love to have a speedo pic of my own at 170 mph
Old 07-29-2007, 01:43 AM

I came from the chargerforums to post on here to just correct those obnoxious facts. I never bashed or called any of yall's cars trash. I agree some of the other people who followed are very shallow towards your cobalts or as they like to say Slowbalts. I would say for the price of the SS/SC it has very good performance especially for young guys trying to start with a decent performance car who cant afford a 40,000 vehicle. I on the other hand cant afford a 40,000+ car either, but was able to afford an r/t (5.7) model. I honestly needed a 4 door with more room for family and friends but still wanted to get up and go when alone. My first cheap car was a 92 camaro and I would say a SS/SC would whoop it.

With that being said, I hope you still don't call me a troll. I live in san antonio and would love to race one of you guys for fun if any of yall live down here. I don't have an srt8, but I have an r/t which is more along the lines of true competion to the SS/SC. So if you know anyone or want to race, not to bash, or hate, but for fun and have a good race pm me.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2007, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by h0l0caust

prodigy is right

The vette has never been a muscle car, it's always been a sports car. Muscle cars are 442, chargers (the old ones) gtos, roadrunners, etc.

Onyx, are you saying that the only real "muscle" car is the GTO based on the its horse-power rating? Although the GTO has 400 horses, I would think one would not forget the Mustang, or the Corvette. Maybe I am missing the distinction between a "pony" car and a "muscle" car.

If you look back on history, the only two muscle cars that have survived the test of time has been the Mustang, and Corvette.
The Mustang, as stated, is a Pony car, the Corvette is a sports car. They have always been that. The only muscle now is the GTO and that was because it was brought back. It fits the bill, midsized body, V8 stuffed in it, functional back seat, and goes fast. The advantage this particular muscle car has over the past ones, is it handles as well. Muscle cars had a specific look and feel to them. The Camaro, Firebird, and Mustang were all called Pony Cars. They had their own battle going on that the Muscle Cars didn't really intrude on. They were marketed to different people, just like the corvette was. If you wanted a vette, you likely didn't care much about the muscle cars, if you wanted a muscle car, you didn't look much at the Pony Cars, and if youw anted a pony car, you didn't look much at the muscle cars.

Last edited by Onyx Dragon; 07-29-2007 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-29-2007, 02:08 AM

i have a friend with a 300c 5.7L hemi. with an intake and a chip. from a dig i can stay close to him he has me by 1-3 cars by 100mph. i beat him once he spun off the line and i still had a nose on him at like 105. they are fast cars str8 or not its more then a handful for a stock ss/sc.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Onyx Dragon
The vette has never been a muscle car, it's always been a sports car. Muscle cars are 442, chargers (the old ones) gtos, roadrunners, etc.

The Mustang, as stated, is a Pony car, the Corvette is a sports car. They have always been that. The only muscle now is the GTO and that was because it was brought back. It fits the bill, midsized body, V8 stuffed in it, functional back seat, and goes fast. The advantage this particular muscle car has over the past ones, is it handles as well. Muscle cars had a specific look and feel to them. The Camaro, Firebird, and Mustang were all called Pony Cars. They had their own battle going on that the Muscle Cars didn't really intrude on. They were marketed to different people, just like the corvette was. If you wanted a vette, you likely didn't care much about the muscle cars, if you wanted a muscle car, you didn't look much at the Pony Cars, and if youw anted a pony car, you didn't look much at the muscle cars.

Ok, just remember I am not disputing the past. The point I am making; today the "modern" day muscle cars are Mustang, GTO, Charger, and Corvette. In its truest sense, the GTO is the only one with Muscle heritage. No disagreeing there.

To me, a muscle car was anything that went really fast. I think you are speaking on the "coined" term for the chassis/platform.

For example, like I mentioned before, the MACH I 428 Cobra Jet, this was a muscle car. Maybe on a pony car platform, but nevertheless a muscle car.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:49 AM

Ok, just remember I am not disputing the past. The point I am making; today the "modern" day muscle cars are Mustang, GTO, Charger, and Corvette. In its truest sense, the GTO is the only one with Muscle heritage. No disagreeing there.

To me, a muscle car was anything that went really fast. I think you are speaking on the "coined" term for the chassis/platform.

For example, like I mentioned before, the MACH I 428 Cobra Jet, this was a muscle car. Maybe on a pony car platform, but nevertheless a muscle car.
Well, the Vette is a sports car, the mustang is more of that as well. The charger..I'm still nixing IMO due to the doors. The GTO, yes. Challenger...we'll see how it is finally. It might be more of a pony car again..which would be cool for when the Camaro comes back out, Mustang, Camaro, Challenger at it again.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i was wondering about this. i thought the srt-8's were mid-high 13's as well. but a guy on my father in laws pool team has a black srt-8 charger and its nice as hell. i wanted to race him but they said he ran a 12.6 last time he went down the track in ennis. i figure hes got a 4200lb car with (rounded) 425hp. ive got a 2600lb car with 270-300hp (comet).i was hoping i could hang with him, probably not.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kahless
i was wondering about this. i thought the srt-8's were mid-high 13's as well. but a guy on my father in laws pool team has a black srt-8 charger and its nice as hell. i wanted to race him but they said he ran a 12.6 last time he went down the track in ennis. i figure hes got a 4200lb car with (rounded) 425hp. ive got a 2600lb car with 270-300hp (comet).i was hoping i could hang with him, probably not.
does he have any work done to the srt8 charger? motor trend has it as

2006 Dodge Charger SRT-8 5.0. 13.5 (MT)..... I know they can be quick as **** though. my buddies dad has a completely built rt 300c. and that ****** is FAST!. when the finished putting on all the parts he had, they said they would trade him straight up for an srt8 model and he turned them down. since they only wanted to give him a stock srt8 model. It was black, black windows, black 20 inch rims and the bentley looking grill. sick as hell
Old 08-05-2007, 10:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hes just got a magnaflow exhaust. the time from ennis is his best. it was an srt group day. they let them drive new vipers around the track
Old 08-06-2007, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by WPG SS/SC
Holy ****!! JT, I am sooo glad you came on to clear that up. Your e-dick must have grown at LEAST an inch there

You know, I think you may just be right! But just to make sure, why don't you ask your mother to open her mouth and we can have her verify my penile measurments based on your assumptions.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:20 PM

Top Speed!!!

COBALT ..... LMAO

Here is some TOP Speed for ya all...

You guys need more cylinders if you are gonna play in our game..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7Tu-znhkW4 300 hitting 160 MPH..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRh1dZgy4pw Cobalt SS Trying to hit 80 MPH... LOL So Slowwww!!!! Not impressed at all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exHaPrpgA70 LOL .... OMG you can't be serious..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVq3E0iQAVQ Another slam to the SS.... Sorry guys, I cant see any of these cars beating a SRT, I think you should stick to racing the SXTs..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W3unqxwVVM

15 Second cars..
SRT8 12.9 to 13.4, keep trying guys..

Last edited by MySRT8U; 08-12-2007 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-12-2007, 08:37 PM
p7x

Originally Posted by MySRT8U
COBALT ..... LMAO

Here is some TOP Speed for ya all...

You guys need more cylinders if you are gonna play in our game..

15 Second cars..
SRT8 12.9 to 13.4, keep trying guys..
dont feel like reading the whole thread, but obviously srt8 is a faster car but you dont need to be a ***** about it.

-I've hit just under 160mph in my car, what was the point of your vid.
-more cylinders? your sounding like a typical v8 retard, not realizing that plenty of 4's and 6's can be just as fast.
-while nothing amazing, these are 14 sec cars.
-Lastly, joining a forum just to make fun of another car is really sad IMO.

No trying to arguing which car is better/faster whatever, just sayin..........
Old 08-12-2007, 08:51 PM

-I've hit just under 160mph in my car, what was the point of your vid.

160... hmmm chevy says 145 is top speed for the Cobalt..
Well I guess you all know better then they do..

On the Road
The Cobalt uses GM's Delta platform, which first appeared on the '03 Saturn Ion (not a very promising genesis for what is actually quite a competent chassis). The 2-liter engine features a supercharger, an engine-driven pump that force-feeds air into the cylinders to boost power. The results: 205 hosepower, 200 lb-ft of torque and terrific performance, without the delay (or lag) typical of turbocharged cars like the Dodge SRT-4. A silky Swedish-built 5-speed manual transmits this power to the ground through the front wheels.
I didn't get a chance to test Chevy's boast of a 145 mph (235km/h) top speed, but I did find the SS mighty quick in the 0-60 mph and 40-80 mph speed ranges. GM claims 0–60mph times in the sub-6 second range and I have no reason to doubt that number. My major complaint had to do with the anemic exhaust note. This thing targets young people, and the young'uns seem to like noise, right? Well, your mom's Odyssey has a meaner exhaust sound than this thing. Come on, Chevy, how much would a couple of echo cans cost?

The Cobalt SS does zero-to-60 in 6.4 seconds with a top speed of 143 mph, though don't expect the four-banger to deliver 30 mpg at that speed. Of course, if you're pushing 143 mph, mileage is probably the last thing on your mind.

Man you must have a 1 of a kind car there, I would take care of that GEM..
Old 08-12-2007, 09:01 PM
p7x

I agree and I think most owners would to, the stock exhaust sounds like **** and its very hard to make a 4 banger sound good without a turbo IMO. Unfortunately this car does target the younger crowd, which includes me, and theres so many dumb punks that own this car and others like it, but there are those of us that arent like that but get grouped together anyways. I know many 300c and Srt8 owners and they are good guys.

Originally Posted by MySRT8U
160... hmmm chevy says 145 is top speed for the Cobalt..
Well I guess you all know better then they do..
155 mph stock SS - http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2...bd01d592bf.htm

0-60 = 5.9 sec
http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroa...ged-page2.html

Quick Reply: SS S/C vs 300c srt8