War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

SS S/C vs. WRX wagon vs. GSX

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SS S/C vs. WRX wagon vs. GSX

So went to the hooters meet in Wayne, NJ on Saturday. Met up with another yellow SS S/C. Mostly it was my buddies with DSM's. One of my friends has a WRX wagon (pretty stock, i think he had an intake), and my other buddy with a 97 eclipse GSX with some minor mods (exhaust, intake, boost controller, race clutch, stuff like that) wanted to all race on rt 80 on the way back. So first me and the WRX guy do a roll from 40mph in 2nd gear. It was pretty even until we shifted into 3rd. I started gaining and once we got into 4th gear, I had him by a good car's length. We stopped at like 100mph. Then the GSX and the WRX did a run from a 40mph roll in 2nd. Again, seemed pretty even. The GSX pulled ahead at the end by about half a car length and stopped at 120mph. I was gonna race the GSX next but we had to get off the highway...we were at our exit. The kid in the GSX claims he "feathed the throttle" cuz he didn't want to blow his 12ths trans (long story). In other words, I'm pretty sure I could have taken him by around a half of a car's length. Tonight I'm going to run against my buddy in a mkiii Jetta VR6 with some minor work.

Gotta say I LOVE MY COBALT!!!
Old 12-11-2005, 09:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
congrats on the kill. i'm pretty sure he was taking it easy on the wrx. a gsx with those mods(even tho it's not much) would walk a wrx wagon pretty good. probably would have been a really close race between the 2 of you tho.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:10 PM

Yeah i talked to the WXR kid and he said that the GSX wanted to run me but i felt it was to icy out to race.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Rusty
So went to the hooters meet in Wayne, NJ on Saturday. Met up with another yellow SS S/C. Mostly it was my buddies with DSM's. One of my friends has a WRX wagon (pretty stock, i think he had an intake), and my other buddy with a 97 eclipse GSX with some minor mods (exhaust, intake, boost controller, race clutch, stuff like that) wanted to all race on rt 80 on the way back. So first me and the WRX guy do a roll from 40mph in 2nd gear. It was pretty even until we shifted into 3rd. I started gaining and once we got into 4th gear, I had him by a good car's length. We stopped at like 100mph. Then the GSX and the WRX did a run from a 40mph roll in 2nd. Again, seemed pretty even. The GSX pulled ahead at the end by about half a car length and stopped at 120mph. I was gonna race the GSX next but we had to get off the highway...we were at our exit. The kid in the GSX claims he "feathed the throttle" cuz he didn't want to blow his 12ths trans (long story). In other words, I'm pretty sure I could have taken him by around a half of a car's length. Tonight I'm going to run against my buddy in a mkiii Jetta VR6 with some minor work.

Gotta say I LOVE MY COBALT!!!
Madison? Where on rt 80? i live right off of 80..
Old 12-12-2005, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by DrEdSrT4
what town are you from
Old 12-12-2005, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Alex47
what town are you from
check 4mations PMs
Old 12-12-2005, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by DrEdSrT4
I live in Madison at FDU, but we were in Wayne, so we got on 80 right by the willowbrook mall.

Originally Posted by Alex47
Yeah i talked to the WXR kid and he said that the GSX wanted to run me but i felt it was to icy out to race.
yea, it was cold, but the highways weren't too icy...so i went for it.

Anyway, I ran my buddy in the VR6 last night as well as the kid with the GSX. Me and the VR6 first did a 40mph roll and I pooped all over him . He was cool about the loss and he's my boy..so its all gravy. Then I ran the GSX from a roll. It was supposed to be a 40mph roll (and I get GOOD jumps from a 40), but we ended up starting at like 25-30mph, so he got a jump on me in the beginning. I essentially caught up to him, but he kept going at 130mph and I stopped there. The highway started to bend and it was cold and I had fwd and summer tires...**** that. So he beat me on that one. He said he went all out tho, no holding back. I think from a 40mph roll I could have had him. We will race again. Then the kid in the VR6 wanted to race from a stop since we both had FWD and traction was atrocious in the semi wet roads at 30 degrees. So we went to this side street to race from a stop. I was freakin spinning tires through like half of second gear...bad traction day. Looked like he was too though. But again, had him by almost 2 car lengths ...keeping in mind the VR has a few good mods goin.

I have to say, I'm VERY impressed with the car. What I've noticed though is that you really feel the power in the HIGH rpm range...like 5500+ rpm. I think the ECU changes the fuel trim at that point and that's why you get the power. Damn factory settings. I think with a simply changing of the air/fuel...we would feel a lot more power....damn I can't wait for those stupid stage 1 & 2 kits come out!
Old 12-12-2005, 07:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
very nice. i definitely think you guys' cars could be faster. too bad they've been out for not so long. lol.