War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

SS/SC vs. 2006 STi

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 10:31 AM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SS/SC vs. 2006 STi

So yesterday on my way home from work I come across a brand new STi, well he sees me and imediately him and his friend that was in the car with him begin to point and I can just tell that they want to race and that they think that my car car is slow. Well we line up at about 45mph and he takes off. I take off after him and pull up next to him again (keep in mind I took off in 3rd then shifted down into 2nd) and look at him like "are you going yet" and he looks forward and drives like he he concentrates hard enough he can beat me, well then I push the pedal to the floor and pull away from him by about 4-5 lengths at about 110mph, then I follow him up the road for a little bit and we end up on the freeway and this is where it gets really bad. He takes off as he is on the on-ramp and I go after him, I stayed close on his tail and kept playing with him coming up behind him really fast and letting off, over and over, finally I just decided to pass him and show him that his $35,000 car dont got **** on my car. But all in all it was a fun time, because before the Stage 3 kit from INTENSE STi s' would generaly beat me almost everytime. Thanks INTENSE I'm lovin it.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:37 AM

good kill...I think 4-5 cars is a little over board there. He must have been stock right off the lot, stock those run high 13's, but from a roll they can be quite slow, especially at high end.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by juststickit124
good kill...I think 4-5 cars is a little over board there. He must have been stock right off the lot, stock those run high 13's, but from a roll they can be quite slow, especially at high end.
I don't really know for sure, my tint is pretty dark, all that I do know is that I let off and it took him a few seconds to catch back up while he was still going.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:48 AM

My friend with an 05 sti (he's here under STIsubie) was playing around with an E 55 AMG last night, or should I say the E55 was playing around with him. STIsubie knew he couldn't beat it but the owner of the E was extremely cool, no ego at all. They talk at the Red light for a while and just decided it would be fun. The STI got a way better jump and the E55 roasted the tires a little, but caught up with in no time and got him by 2 cars probably. They raced from a roll later and the E55 got him by like 3-4. Good times!
Old 06-27-2006, 10:48 AM

You should be able to take one from a roll stock as they are teh suck on the highway from a roll.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:01 AM

I believe 4-5 lengths. I'm stock and I can take an Evo from a roll, so you should be able to smoke an Sti from a roll with all of your mods.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by stic5
I believe 4-5 lengths. I'm stock and I can take an Evo from a roll, so you should be able to smoke an Sti from a roll with all of your mods.

What kind, EVO VIII? From a role maybe you can get ahead by a 1/2 car maybe, I haven't tried yet I could be wrong. I think our cars are way under-estimated on the streets!
Old 06-27-2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by sscobalt06
He takes off as he is on the on-ramp and I go after him, I stayed close on his tail and kept playing with him coming up behind him really fast and letting off, over and over
You were on an on ramp, flooring it and then letting off then flooring it again? If this on-ramp was a normal one and had turns or was a long turn, I am amazed you didn't spin and crash. Congrats on the kill nonetheless, just be safe

I think our cars are way under-estimated on the streets!
stock those run high 13's, but from a roll they can be quite slow, especially at high end.
It sounds like you under-estimate the STi and over-estimate your car. The only videos of STi's racing this car has a Stage 2 Cobalt SS getting slightly pulled on by a stock STi. They in fact run low 13's at 101-103 (even magazines got those times!) making them quite a bit faster than a Cobalt SS stock and even stage 2 ones judging from the drag times and subsequent trap speeds of this own site. I've read that you have beat stock STi's from a roll and I do not doubt your stories, only the driver's ability when racing.

The only way they can be slow is if the driver doesn't know what they are doing and shifts at red line instead of at around 6500 (the exact point varies in each gear). Doing that will keep the car in its power band even in 5th gear (the 1-1 gear making it the same as your 4th) well was 100 meaning that it never even has to see its "high-end" through an entire race. Quite a few people shift at the wrong point in this car (it is just too tempting to shift at red line I suppose?)

I would put it at around 95%; the stock turbo just runs out of breath at above 6k yet people seem to still shift their, and get these 1.8 60 footer times yet run high 13's at 99 mph.

I have my own experience against a stage 2 Ion Red line in a stock STi and it was a slow pull every single gear from 35, 45 and 60 all the way to 110. The trap speed of a stock STi, driving by a person who knows the car will put it against cars that trap where it is supposed to, instead of it loosing to cars that trap 3-5 mph less than it.

As for EVOs, there is such a thing as a stock EVO? An EVO IX with a MBC and a flash makes over 300 WHP and runs mid 12's at 109-110. Add a TBE and the car runs high 11's at around 115; from any type of race, an EVO IX is out of a Cobalt's league.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:04 PM
Banned

AWD = Bad from a roll without lots of power
Old 06-27-2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
It sounds like you under-estimate the STi and over-estimate your car. The only videos of STi's racing this car has a Stage 2 Cobalt SS getting slightly pulled on by a stock STi. They in fact run low 13's at 101-103 (even magazines got those times!) making them quite a bit faster than a Cobalt SS stock and even stage 2 ones judging from the drag times and subsequent trap speeds of this own site. I've read that you have beat stock STi's from a roll and I do not doubt your stories, only the driver's ability when racing.
I'm talking about from a roll BTW, we would beat them by a little. Not anything crazy like 2-3 cars though. And remember in the Video no one said the Cobalt driver was the best either. It all depends on the driver from a roll. Was the video from a dig? I don't doubt I've raced some shitty drivers though.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:21 PM

I believe it. The STI isnt all that fast in a straight line. On a road course/autox/round track they are amazing. Long straight aways arent their strong point.

If your are pulling a 108 trap with a FWD's 60' then I have no doubt you will dust an STI on the highway at all....of course that is from a guage...

What are the whp numbers of the intense stg 3 with similar mods?
Old 06-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Banned

this thread will never end now
Old 06-27-2006, 05:53 PM

Both cars are slow, we need 1000hp skylines.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by quickspec
Both cars are slow, we need 1000hp skylines.
My friend is selling one. Shipped from Japan, only about 100 mi on it. Already registered and fully legal, including California emmissions.

R34 Skyline GT-R V-Spec
Right Hand Drive

asking $55,000
Old 06-27-2006, 07:59 PM

I'm talking about from a roll BTW, we would beat them by a little.
Not anything crazy like 2-3 cars though.
Well, this was from a roll (the video). Secondly, 2-3 cars is a huge difference for a race, 3 cars at the end of the 1/4 is over 1.5 seconds and about 2-3 mph. The STi traps about 3-5 mph faster than a stock Cobalt SS.

Using some mag times (unfortunately), the STi will accelerate from one mph to another significantly faster than a stock Cobalt. I used Road and Track's times for both cars and found that times such as 30-100 gives the STi something like a two second advantage (I had the numbers in front of me at work, but never had time to post). I don't doubt that the STi's gap will not be as big from a really high speed roll (say start at 90) but that is a ridiculous race first off and second off the gears of the STi will really out do the Cobalt; it is multiplying its already higher amount of torque even more through the drive train which is why it makes such a large gap.

Originally Posted by
And remember in the Video no one said the Cobalt driver was the best either. It all depends on the driver from a roll. Was the video from a dig?
See above

Originally Posted by
AWD = Bad from a roll without lots of power
Umm, all cars are bad from a roll without lots of power. The way in which the engine powers the wheels does not matter at all from this. That is a wives's tale.

Another reason STi's (and EVOs) are often beaten by a roll by slower cars is that the driven didn't build up the boost or put it in a gear too low giving the car no time to build up boost at all.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:00 PM

You must be proud, you beat a stock STi. Keep in mind it was stock. I'm sure if the STi was tuned and up to stage 3 or whatever, he'd prolly feed it to you. Stop comparing your fast Balt against a stock car man. Go fight with a car that'll give up more of a fight with what mods you have. Wouldn't that be more exciting? Either way, i guess its a good kill on a stock car.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by STi_WRX02
You must be proud, you beat a stock STi. Keep in mind it was stock. I'm sure if the STi was tuned and up to stage 3 or whatever, he'd prolly feed it to you. Stop comparing your fast Balt against a stock car man. Go fight with a car that'll give up more of a fight with what mods you have. Wouldn't that be more exciting? Either way, i guess its a good kill on a stock car.
I beat a STi from a roll also with my STOCK car. Undoubtedly it would rape me from a dig but I am just not seeing this it being faster than a balt from a roll. I have witnessed on two separate occasions of STi's getting it on the freeeway.

A stock STi is still a formidable vehicle at 300 hp. You're making it seem as if they aren't all that stock.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by bad93ex
I beat a STi from a roll also with my STOCK car. Undoubtedly it would rape me from a dig but I am just not seeing this it being faster than a balt from a roll. I have witnessed on two separate occasions of STi's getting it on the freeeway.

A stock STi is still a formidable vehicle at 300 hp. You're making it seem as if they aren't all that stock.

they aren't all stock hahah but a lot of em are stock. But who cares...I'm not saying they are the fastest ever...
Old 06-27-2006, 09:47 PM

I raced a 04 STI at the track last friday, we where side by side untill the 1/8th then he pull a car on me. I like the STI's I would have gotten one if they didn't cost so much. but yeah from a High way roll I have beaten 2 STI's.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:56 PM

Stop being a hater. You're pride is flaring because a $20k car beat a $35k car. Just face the fact that you should have bought an '04 cobra for the same price.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:02 PM

I know a SRT4 that would **** all over a stage 3 or Whatever STI
Old 06-27-2006, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by rollingboostedss
I raced a 04 STI at the track last friday, we where side by side untill the 1/8th then he pull a car on me. I like the STI's I would have gotten one if they didn't cost so much. but yeah from a High way roll I have beaten 2 STI's.
That's strange; either you are one helluva driver (pulling a 1.7-1.8 60 footer) or that STi driver really, really sucks.

Originally Posted by phxSS
Stop being a hater. You're pride is flaring because a $20k car beat a $35k car. Just face the fact that you should have bought an '04 cobra for the same price.
Holy ricer

Originally Posted by
I know a SRT4 that would **** all over a stage 3 or Whatever STI
Congrats? FWIW, if I recall these stages correctly, a Stage 3 STi is a new block and bottom end and turbo; they make between 400 and 600 WHP (depends a lot on the boost, type of gas and whether they are using some sort of injection). I think there is like three in the world or so lol.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:12 PM

Man you guys are all pretty passionate! Here is my input. For one, of course an AWD car will almost always beat any FWD or RWD car on the track and espically on the street. I don't know about you but I've never seen an FWD or RWD car hold it to the floor and dump it and not spin. I've actually seen 500ish hp EVO's kill 650+HP Cobra's from a dig due to battling traction. Secondly, the man never said the STI was stock, he didn't even know they guy, furthermore say they were both stock that's 205hp vs. 300hp or Stock STI at 300hp vs. Stage3 Cobalt @ 250hp, I still don't see the fairness here or where there is a lack of impressiveness in the cobalt pulling the STI. And lastly AWD vs. FWD or RWD from a roll is a huge difference! Think of rotating mass! You've got 4 wheels, 5-6 driveshafts & 2 differentials to get moving vs. 2 wheels and half shafts... There is no comparison.. And you have a sc car that loves high RPM's vs a Turbo car that needs to spool. There are a lot of variables. But I love both cars and both have their strengths and weaknesses.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:10 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by doubled
Man you guys are all pretty passionate! Here is my input. For one, of course an AWD car will almost always beat any FWD or RWD car on the track and espically on the street. I don't know about you but I've never seen an FWD or RWD car hold it to the floor and dump it and not spin. I've actually seen 500ish hp EVO's kill 650+HP Cobra's from a dig due to battling traction. Secondly, the man never said the STI was stock, he didn't even know they guy, furthermore say they were both stock that's 205hp vs. 300hp or Stock STI at 300hp vs. Stage3 Cobalt @ 250hp, I still don't see the fairness here or where there is a lack of impressiveness in the cobalt pulling the STI. And lastly AWD vs. FWD or RWD from a roll is a huge difference! Think of rotating mass! You've got 4 wheels, 5-6 driveshafts & 2 differentials to get moving vs. 2 wheels and half shafts... There is no comparison.. And you have a sc car that loves high RPM's vs a Turbo car that needs to spool. There are a lot of variables. But I love both cars and both have their strengths and weaknesses.
That was a good way to explain everything that I was thinking, and for other people to know. I dont just post my wins to brag, I post just to let people know what happend and what their cars too might be able to do in the right conditions. And quit hating, I dont mind when people state their opinion, but does it have to be an insult when you do say whats on your mind? There wouldnt be a section for War Stories on this site if it wasnt okay to post what happend. If a SS/SC modded beat the hell out of a stock Ferrari Enzo wouldnt you like to hear about it. Just because it is stock doesnt mean it doesnt haul ass. The STi is 100hp stock over the balt, racing one with a stock SS/SC it is highly unlikely that you could beat him from a dig, so mods are needed to catch up. I dont care just quit hattin, keep posting.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by sscobalt06
That was a good way to explain everything that I was thinking, and for other people to know. I dont just post my wins to brag, I post just to let people know what happend and what their cars too might be able to do in the right conditions. And quit hating, I dont mind when people state their opinion, but does it have to be an insult when you do say whats on your mind? There wouldnt be a section for War Stories on this site if it wasnt okay to post what happend. If a SS/SC modded beat the hell out of a stock Ferrari Enzo wouldnt you like to hear about it. Just because it is stock doesnt mean it doesnt haul ass. The STi is 100hp stock over the balt, racing one with a stock SS/SC it is highly unlikely that you could beat him from a dig, so mods are needed to catch up. I dont care just quit hattin, keep posting.
+1

Quick Reply: SS/SC vs. 2006 STi