War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

SS/SC Vs. 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SS/SC Vs. 5.0

It's been a while since I've had a good one to share with you guys, but lastnights' run was definitely a good one for sure.

I was headed back to my house to meet the g/f around 12:30 am when the familiar gaping mouth of a 5.0 came up from behind me and then proceeded to pass me doing 20+ over the speed limit. I guess he noticed my car and desided that I should get a nice show. One thing I noticed when he passed me is that the car had very good excelleration and sounded very healthy. Most likely a magnaflow exhaust and a set of headers. Any other work I couldn't tell, but I am positive that it more done to it than just exhaust work, such as gears and an intake.

After he did his little display of power he ended up a good 1/8th of a mile ahead of me and he was still doing 65+ in the 45 zone. I wanted to catch up to him for a run, but didn't want to risk going 80 mph in the 45 for almost 1/2 of a mile just to get next to him. So I just sat back and waited for him to get hit by a red and as luck would have it, he did! Only problem was the damn cars ahead of us all doing 40 in the 45 and none of them we giving a chance to pass...

Two more intersections go by and now we have a clearing, only problem is that I'm behind him instead of next to him...foiled again! Next to the 5.0 was an Accord that was now in my way and it was toying with the 5.0 a bit which caused the 5.0 dude to down shift at about 45 and punch it. I was around 2 lengths back when he did this and he gained another 2 lengths before I could react to try and catch him. I figured he'd just keep gaining, but instead I stopped his pull and reeled him in a bit, but didn't have enough time to keep it up to actually pull on him. Now My turn is coming up and it looked like 5.0 guy was turning left while I was turning right, but just at the last moment he darted across 4 lanes to sneak in behind me and follow me. Now I know it's on .

I make my turn and get into the furthest inside lane and chill there doing 40 mph in 2nd gear. He promptly pulls up next to my car and looks over. I nod at him an point foward, he nods back. Then I give him three fingers and start to beep my horn, but come the third beep he does nothing... I suppose he's never been to streetfire.net Once I figure out that he has no idea what a horn start is, I just blip the throttle back and forth untill he bites. It takes him a bit to reply, but finally he downshifts and punches it, catching me off-gaurd but I still had it in 2nd gear so I was fairly quick to respond. Right away he pulls his rear to my front, but he had to shift out of that gear within 10 mph, while my 2nd gear still pulls to 60. Now I'm pulling on him and by the end of 2nd I'm pulling passed him and with a shift to 3rd I jump ahead to a car length or so and with a short shift into 4th I pull some more. I'm now about 2-3 lengths ahead doing well over 100 when I shut her down.

I nail the brakes hard enough to send the nose into a dive and he flys passed me. We're coming up to another light and he's going to make a right turn and now I'm the one following him, figuring just one more run would be nice to make sure the last win wasn't a fluke. I come along his driver side and nod in approvement, he did as well but didn't look very happy about what had just happend. However, this time I'm setup horribly, I'm in 3rd gear at 60 mph and this is right between 2nd and 3rd gear. I'm sitting at about 3,000 rpm and blower or not, no 4 banger likes 3,000 revs. Oh well, what am I gonna do...ask him to get in a better powerband for me? Hah!

I wait a bit for him to make a move and I almost thought he wasn't gonna give me another go, but just as I was thinking this he drops if from 4th to 3rd. Holy **** did he get up and go! I got on my throttle the instant I heard him gearing down and this still didn't stop him from pulling a full 1 1/2 lengths on me. All in about 3 seconds! This is also another reason I know didn't have the stock 3.08 gear set, no mildly modded 5.0 takes off like that in the upper gears. But, to his dismay he had to shift out of 3rd almost as fast as he went into it and it was just a matter of time now. I was in the middle of third doing about 85 when I caught back up to his rear bumper and he had to make yet another shift by the time I was in the top of 3rd. When he did this it was all over, I shifted to 4th and flew passed him, putting a little over a length on him before I halted the car.

He came up next to me as we were slowing down for the next light and I gave him a nod and a thumbs up for his effort and his very clean, awesome sounding 5.0. He returned the gesture.

For anyone who is interested, the 5.0 was a white LX and it was a MASS year, not speed density. This would make it the fasted stock 5.0 you could get.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Domestics Pwn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im calling BS.... Bulldog couldnt even beat a Yugo in his car...

jk... Nice kill.... I wish I could catch some decent races.... I had a WRX rev up at me last week...
Old 02-07-2006, 12:21 PM

Nice Kill and Nice story
Old 02-07-2006, 01:27 PM

Nice kill man!
Old 02-07-2006, 01:45 PM

Nice Races.

Just wondering... hatch or notch?
Old 02-07-2006, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Blainestang
Nice Races.

Just wondering... hatch or notch?

Hatch, so technically the notch would be slightly faster...just slightly Although I'd never get the notch, the hatch looks so much better and the trunk in a notch sucks ass.

Originally Posted by ExHondaMan
Im calling BS.... Bulldog couldnt even beat a Yugo in his car...

Nope, I wouldnt stand a chance
Old 02-07-2006, 02:39 PM

notch backs are the best. screw the trunk that isnt what a fox body is for.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by 1stbluSS
notch backs are the best. screw the trunk that isnt what a fox body is for.
Our ss/sc isn't made for hauling crap around either, but if it had the crappy trunk of a notchback stang that would suck. I love being able to carry around a ton of junk when I need to. Kinda like lastnight when I emptied out all the boxes from a storage unit that was costing me $90 a month. Now I got $90 extra a month to spend on the SS...all because the SS has ample trunk space.

Not really, but you get the point
Old 02-07-2006, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by BullDog71ss
Hatch, so technically the notch would be slightly faster...just slightly Although I'd never get the notch, the hatch looks so much better and the trunk in a notch sucks ass.
Yeah, I wasn't saying the outcome would change if it was a Notch instead of a hatch, I was just wondering. BTW, I agree with the above post... LX Notch> LX Hatch >>>>> GT Hatch. If I wanted a big trunk, I'd get a Grand Marquis, but since I wanted a light, ultra-clean-lines Fox-body, I got an LX Notch.

I guess it depends, though. If I HAVE to pick up a bunch of stuff, I'll just throw it in the back seat... or I'll just take my '00 or '01 Mustang... or my g/f's Harley Davidson F-150. I guess if it's your only option, the Notch trunk is pretty dang small

Anyway, nice races again.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:08 PM

Yeah, I wasn't saying the outcome would change if it was a Notch instead of a hatch, I was just wondering. BTW, I agree with the above post... LX Notch> LX Hatch >>>>> GT Hatch. If I wanted a big trunk, I'd get a Grand Marquis, but since I wanted a light, ultra-clean-lines Fox-body, I got an LX Notch.

I guess it depends, though. If I HAVE to pick up a bunch of stuff, I'll just throw it in the back seat... or I'll just take my '00 or '01 Mustang... or my g/f's Harley Davidson F-150. I guess if it's your only option, the Notch trunk is pretty dang small

Anyway, nice races again.

Thanks man.

Also, I mostly prefer the hatch models because I think they look better, the trunk size is just a bonus. As for building race cars, the notch is top notch...I r so funny it hurts.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:11 PM

good kill! and good job on not leving out details. so you still wanna go whoop up on some cars the 18th? I cant wait
Old 02-07-2006, 03:19 PM

Thanks man.

Also, I mostly prefer the hatch models because I think they look better, the trunk size is just a bonus. As for building race cars, the notch is top notch...I r so funny it hurts.
Ha, yeah, pretty funny

Yeah, I obviously like Notch's better anyway, but it will be a weekend/race car, so they're perfect for that, too, like you said.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by victoryredss
good kill! and good job on not leving out details. so you still wanna go whoop up on some cars the 18th? I cant wait
I'll be there, although I'm sure there will be much faster cars than stockish ss/sc's out there. Still sounds like a blast though!
Old 02-07-2006, 03:25 PM

I'll be there, although I'm sure there will be much faster cars than stockish ss/sc's out there. Still sounds like a blast though!
usually its the civics/sti's/srt-4's that are the faster ones but last time I was there i took an evo all the way down the track so im looking to doing it again. should be fun
Old 02-07-2006, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by victoryredss
usually its the civics/sti's/srt-4's that are the faster ones but last time I was there i took an evo all the way down the track so im looking to doing it again. should be fun
Are you saying that the Civics/STis/Neons are the fastest cars at the track usually? That's pretty sad/weird.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:55 PM

Are you saying that the Civics/STis/Neons are the fastest cars at the track usually? That's pretty sad/weird.

It's because of the kind of racing that will be done that night at that track. It's a streetrace callout night. It's a bit different than any regular test & tune night.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:10 PM

It's because of the kind of racing that will be done that night at that track. It's a streetrace callout night. It's a bit different than any regular test & tune night.
Gotcha... I was hoping that was it We have a night like that at my local track, too.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:51 PM

Gotcha... I was hoping that was it We have a night like that at my local track, too.

A normal test/tune Friday night at Firebird usually has at least a few cars in the 10's and one or two in the 9's. It'll also have countless sti's, evos, F bodies, vettes and all the rest of that good stuff.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:58 PM

A normal test/tune Friday night at Firebird usually has at least a few cars in the 10's and one or two in the 9's. It'll also have countless sti's, evos, F bodies, vettes and all the rest of that good stuff.
Yeah, same here. I guess the "big dogs" don't want to waste their time or gas on the callout nights

I've been to our "legal street racing" night before, and it's a good setup. They get a lot of runs in and there's a lot more cars in and around the league of my cars.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:29 AM

i dog mustangs quite often in my *neon*
Old 02-09-2006, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by jaydizzle82
i dog mustangs quite often in my *neon*
Oh, I wasn't saying that there aren't fast neons, but in general, civics/neons/stis aren't the fastest cars at the tracks. Even when you've got 11-second Neons taking out most of the field, there's usually a couple Fox Mustangs or older cars running 9's and 10's... at least where I race. That was the point, not to bash Neons/civics/Sti's.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:29 PM

Oh, I wasn't saying that there aren't fast neons, but in general, civics/neons/stis aren't the fastest cars at the tracks. Even when you've got 11-second Neons taking out most of the field, there's usually a couple Fox Mustangs or older cars running 9's and 10's... at least where I race. That was the point, not to bash Neons/civics/Sti's.

Werd.