War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

ss tc vis civic si

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beefy Si
Does 600whp on a stock K20 block count?

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55035

I'de have to say the K-series engine is a work of art compared to any 4 cylinder Chevy can build. There are plenty of people on K20.org who have done 500+whp on a stock engine, with beautiful tunes. Once again, you are talking about something you know NOTHING about. So just stop.
no it doesnt count, we are talking a stock motor. not just stock block. the guy i was laughing at said the guy said he could slap a turbo on and hit 500whp without any other support mods. . . no stock honda motor will hold 500whp for a sustained amount of time, sure if you forged the motor out, and use all A/M parts except the block im sure it can be done, but not using the entire stock engine assembly. sorry
Old 04-16-2009, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
no it doesnt count, we are talking a stock motor. not just stock block. the guy i was laughing at said the guy said he could slap a turbo on and hit 500whp without any other support mods. . . no stock honda motor will hold 500whp for a sustained amount of time, sure if you forged the motor out, and use all A/M parts except the block im sure it can be done, but not using the entire stock engine assembly. sorry
Apology not accepted. Oh so now the other factors come into play. We are talking about STOCK block and STOCK head....Read.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Force
Civic owners entertain me... One at the local meet last night with a K20-swapped 03' claimed he'd be making 250whp with just a header and exhaust... Oh, and 500whp with a GT35R and no other supporting mods
Apology not accepted. Oh so now the other factors come into play. We are talking about STOCK block and STOCK head....Read.
please you need to re-read.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:32 PM

okay stop arguing. its simple. when it comes to racing the tc is faster the the si. from a dig, from a roll, in reverse, anything. so just let it go haha.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:46 PM

The 1/4 is about 14 flat for the SS/TC. .
More like mid 13's...
Old 04-16-2009, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon97Z
More like mid 13's...
mid to high ish
Old 04-17-2009, 02:48 AM

The 1/4 is about 14 flat for the SS/TC. One of the first turbo Sis was ran by "All Jap Cars" It was a Stock K20Z3 Si with a custom kit.. They did 13.5. This was almost 3 years ago. So that surely wouldn't be true.
Beef you are now really reaching. The si's do about a 15 flat in the 1/4 and the fastest ss/st stock did a 13.6. You see.. I can also generalize..

Also your getting away from the "stock" comparison. I didn't realize that hondas come with a free turbo after purchase. Any car can be fast with enough $$ put into it. And if you invest the same amount of $ into these two cars the SI is STILL going to be slower.

I'm convinced ur just trying to push peoples buttons.

Btw.. this reminds me of the late 80's early 90's where i tried to defend my z28 against the 5.0 mustang crowd. I knew it was a losing cause...but i did it anyway.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:15 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
I think we can all agree the SS/TC is the superior car .... There really is no argument here !!! You can't go and say ohh well if my Civic had a turbo/exhaust/intake/whatever .... it doesn't. The new Si is a much better car then its previous generations and they can be quick, but stock for stock it is no competition for the SS/TC or SS/SC for that matter plain and simple. I've said this before and many members have proved it .... the 2.4 SS/NA or Sport fully bolted is the Si's competition not the FI SS's. The Si came in with the wrong idea / power back when the SS/SC was first designed to fight off the imports and SRT-4 (although that car is a beast stock). Now they have an even quicker SS and most Civic owners still get their panties in a bunch, because their car can't keep up with a 260hp turbo.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by VolkSS
Traded an 07 Si for the SS/TC. I can testify the Si would be raped either from a dig or a rolling start. Not to mention, there are no good tunes for the Si, so even if you roll up on one with F/I, it still doesn't stand a chance. 197 HP/137 Ft lbs is no match for 260/260. Ahhh, torque!!!
Gotta love the torque
Old 04-17-2009, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by SSBalt
Beef you are now really reaching. The si's do about a 15 flat in the 1/4 and the fastest ss/st stock did a 13.6. You see.. I can also generalize..

Also your getting away from the "stock" comparison. I didn't realize that hondas come with a free turbo after purchase. Any car can be fast with enough $$ put into it. And if you invest the same amount of $ into these two cars the SI is STILL going to be slower.

I'm convinced ur just trying to push peoples buttons.

Btw.. this reminds me of the late 80's early 90's where i tried to defend my z28 against the 5.0 mustang crowd. I knew it was a losing cause...but i did it anyway.
Guys guys guys. I was repsonding to THIS:

Originally Posted by VolkSS
Traded an 07 Si for the SS/TC. I can testify the Si would be raped either from a dig or a rolling start. Not to mention, there are no good tunes for the Si, so even if you roll up on one with F/I, it still doesn't stand a chance. 197 HP/137 Ft lbs is no match for 260/260. Ahhh, torque!!!
I was just saying that wasn't true, and it isn't. A boosted 8th gen Si DOES stand a chance, in fact it should win most of the time. Almost 3 years ago AJC did a 13.5 on about 9lbs if I can remember correctly. That's ALL I was implying. And from what you guys are saying the SS/TC does maybe mid, to high 13 seconds. I just HAVE to correct some of you because there is some misinformation and false accusations flying everywhere.

Originally Posted by Staged07SS
I think we can all agree the SS/TC is the superior car .... There really is no argument here !!! You can't go and say ohh well if my Civic had a turbo/exhaust/intake/whatever .... it doesn't. The new Si is a much better car then its previous generations and they can be quick, but stock for stock it is no competition for the SS/TC or SS/SC for that matter plain and simple. I've said this before and many members have proved it .... the 2.4 SS/NA or Sport fully bolted is the Si's competition not the FI SS's. The Si came in with the wrong idea / power back when the SS/SC was first designed to fight off the imports and SRT-4 (although that car is a beast stock). Now they have an even quicker SS and most Civic owners still get their panties in a bunch, because their car can't keep up with a 260hp turbo.
And I fully agree with your opening statement here. Like I said before I would like to see what the Civic MRR would do against it. I know its an expensive automobile but I think that would be an awesome race (on a track of course) I don't think it would run a mid-13 or anything haha. I am NOT one of the Civic owners that get mad or "panties in a bunch" I could care less that a 260hp Turbo Cobalt is faster than a stock NA Honda. It very well better be! Then again I do drive a H crap hatch, which is faster than both, but hey that's another story ;-)
Old 04-17-2009, 09:38 AM

And I fully agree with your opening statement here. Like I said before I would like to see what the Civic MRR would do against it. I know its an expensive automobile but I think that would be an awesome race (on a track of course) I don't think it would run a mid-13 or anything haha. I am NOT one of the Civic owners that get mad or "panties in a bunch" I could care less that a 260hp Turbo Cobalt is faster than a stock NA Honda. It very well better be! Then again I do drive a H crap hatch, which is faster than both, but hey that's another story ;-)
I may have missed it but what do you have done to your hatch, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 04-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Guys guys guys. I was repsonding to THIS:

I would too. That MRR actually looks really nice.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would too. That MRR actually looks really nice.
Nice, perhaps, but not a fair comparison to the SS/TC either. You also have to compare based on price. If Honda brought the MRR over here they'd be asking you for your first born as a down-payment

I'm sure the MRR would give the SS/TC a great run, possibly beating it... With a price tag over $50k, considering what they charge for the garbage Mugen Si.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Nice, perhaps, but not a fair comparison to the SS/TC either. You also have to compare based on price. If Honda brought the MRR over here they'd be asking you for your first born as a down-payment

I'm sure the MRR would give the SS/TC a great run, possibly beating it... With a price tag over $50k, considering what they charge for the garbage Mugen Si.
You are very right .... way over priced for a Econ-car
Old 04-17-2009, 11:06 AM

Park that Mugen MRR out on the side of the road, blink, and it will be gone.
Great car, I love the carbon fibre... but really, all that $ and engineering just to hang with a stock cobalt? Pretty fking sad.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by SS4ME
I may have missed it but what do you have done to your hatch, if you don't mind me asking?
As far as power? JDM H22A, QSD kit w/CTR limited slip transmission, (stock) 4-1 header, 3" straight back w/o res or muffler. Spare 2.5 exhaust with res and vibrant flat black muffler. Removed IABs, portmatched IM, The engine is stock other than NGK Platinum plugs and wires.....and full interior full suspension.

Haha yea it's up there. But it is FAR from garbage. It is put together WAY better than any Cobalt.

You are very right .... way over priced for a Econ-car
Economy car? Who buys a Mugen RR just to drive? Oh, they made 300....They ALL SOLD in 10 minutes. That should tell you a little about the customers.

Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS
Park that Mugen MRR out on the side of the road, blink, and it will be gone.
Great car, I love the carbon fibre... but really, all that $ and engineering just to hang with a stock cobalt? Pretty fking sad.
I doubt anybody would just park it on the side of the road. The owners KNOW what they have. I'm sure they are protecting their purchase just fine. I haven't heard of one jacked yet. And if there was, what are the suspects going to do with the parts? You can't get them unless you OWN one of the 300 made. Do you know what it would do against a stock Cobalt SS/TC? I don't think you do. I can openly admit that I don't either, but who knows? This car may just be plenty quicker around a track then the SS/TC. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if it did. It's basically a race ready machine.

Last edited by beefy Si; 06-10-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:46 AM

just blow it off beefy, its not worth ur time. nissans are a different breed anyway.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:49 AM

As far as power? JDM H22A, QSD kit w/CTR limited slip transmission, (stock) 4-1 header, 3" straight back w/o res or muffler. Spare 2.5 exhaust with res and vibrant flat black muffler. Removed IABs, portmatched IM, The engine is stock other than NGK Platinum plugs and wires.....and full interior full suspension.

prob an ok run for a tuned balt...... i ran a k20 hatch with intake header exhaust (straight pipe) running hondata.... sat right next to me... or did i sit next to him lol
Old 04-17-2009, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by M1kl0
just blow it off beefy, its not worth ur time. nissans are a different breed anyway.
It's fine I'm not here to brawl. I'm just passing the time with a friendly debate. I feel I need to let some things be known about certain Hondas.

Originally Posted by widowedeight
prob an ok run for a tuned balt...... i ran a k20 hatch with intake header exhaust (straight pipe) running hondata.... sat right next to me... or did i sit next to him lol
I've done dig races with my buddies K20A powered HB, and a K24/K20 CRX. The HB had more than the parts listed above, and I got him by over 2 carlengths. The CRX baaarely had me though. He got me be a couple feet. All I know is he ran a 12.5 and 11.90 on DRs. My car really isn't set up for dragracing, so for these runs I took off my front dampers and ran stock, I also have a custom T-bar. I was happy. :-)
Old 04-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=beefy Si;3745056]

Economy car? Who buys a Mugen RR just to drive? Oh, they made 300....They ALL SOLD in 10 minutes. That should tell you a little about the customers.

Dude under that flashy body kit, better interior & engine it is still a CIVIC! CIVIC = Economy car. Same goes for our Cobalts.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:21 PM

It's fine I'm not here to brawl. I'm just passing the time with a friendly debate. I feel I need to let some things be known about certain Hondas.

I've done dig races with my buddies K20A powered HB, and a K24/K20 CRX. The HB had more than the parts listed above, and I got him by over 2 carlengths. The CRX baaarely had me though. He got me be a couple feet. All I know is he ran a 12.5 and 11.90 on DRs. My car really isn't set up for dragracing, so for these runs I took off my front dampers and ran stock, I also have a custom T-bar. I was happy. :-)
i admit i talked mad **** about hondas cause i believed the stereotypes but i dont know how or why so many people **** those cars up, maybe the cheap prices, the aftermarket support, or something, but theres only few hondas that are fast and are worth the money. i just have a fetish for a crx with a k20 swap. n/a should be a fast light car
Old 04-17-2009, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by M1kl0
i admit i talked mad **** about hondas cause i believed the stereotypes but i dont know how or why so many people **** those cars up, maybe the cheap prices, the aftermarket support, or something, but theres only few hondas that are fast and are worth the money. i just have a fetish for a crx with a k20 swap. n/a should be a fast light car
It's cool man. The majority of Honda owners are in fact posers or people who think they know everything. I have two friends who own Hondas, and we do them right. Not a single one of us have any flashy mods, lips, stickers, JDM BS parts, or Rota, Drag, or any other knockoff, low quality wheels. But all my other friends don't give a damn about cars. Those are the friends I hang out with most.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:56 PM

hb= hatch back or hb = honda bubble?
Old 04-17-2009, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look at all that gas you just wasted! Seriously, why bother?
Old 04-17-2009, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jackalope
Look at all that gas you just wasted! Seriously, why bother?
are you talking bout the vid? if so it is cause a dude in a 4 door si that is stock thinks that he is WAY faster than the op's car

Quick Reply: ss tc vis civic si