War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

SS/TC vs LS2 GTO Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NiteRiderWS6
Revhigh18 vs 6 Speed LS2 GTO

tonight i witnessed this race from on the side of the road

1st Race: Dig race both cars blow the tires off pretty bad both catch at about the same time and the race ends with the Cobalt out by a car.

2nd Race: 20-30 roll Cobalt pulls by 1.5 cars

Cobalt SS/TC: 310Fwhp
LS2 GTO: Stock
The Cobalt should have been spinning really badly even from a roll. I spin hard all the way through 2nd gear. I spin sometimes if I roll it on in third at 50-60 MPH. I used to own a lightly modded LS2 GTO and they are really not that fast. 3725 lb car with 340 whp 340wrtq vs 2900 lb car with 310 whp and 340 wrtq. I wonder which will win Assuming the Cobalt gets traction anyway. My brother friend has a Stage 3 SRT4 neon that makes 390 whp on race gas. He raced a 540 whp Kenne Bell Cobra, and guess what they were neck and neck from 50-140. Bet you thought the Cobra would win right. Lighter is better.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terminator2
The Cobalt should have been spinning really badly even from a roll. I spin hard all the way through 2nd gear. I spin sometimes if I roll it on in third at 50-60 MPH. I used to own a lightly modded LS2 GTO and they are really not that fast. 3725 lb car with 340 whp 340wrtq vs 2900 lb car with 310 whp and 340 wrtq. I wonder which will win Assuming the Cobalt gets traction anyway. My brother friend has a Stage 3 SRT4 neon that makes 390 whp on race gas. He raced a 540 whp Kenne Bell Cobra, and guess what they were neck and neck from 50-140. Bet you thought the Cobra would win right. Lighter is better.
Addressing the three bolded areas. First, BS unless its raining and even then maybe on bald tires. Some of you say us GTO owners are full of our selves? Shoot, look at some of yalls claims, spinning in third from a 60 roll? You do understand the new Vipers won't even do that right unless its raining or they are doing a big long burn out and run through the gears...

Second, that is a pretty ballsy comment from someone with a cobalt, especially one who would have a very tough time putting a car on a stock GTO. On top of someone who has claimed to own one, what happened? The gas prices get too much for you? Or are you one of those that wrecked it cause you have no idea how to handle a rear wheel drive V8 car?

Third, BS on the cobra race, I could understand maybe if the SRT had 450+. But the power to weight ratio is well in the cobras favor, and it is geared and designed to solely run fast as opposed to the economy car that makes you smile with a power bump. Why do you think KB cobras are at about the top of the food chain? They aren't going to be taken down by a lowly stage 3 Neon...

Tyler

[QUOTE=NiteRiderWS6;3566342]i can tell you for sure the higher the speed the more the balt is going to pull but..i got you on the video request man...if it dosent rain tonight we will all be out doing some runs...we wont be able to go to the track like planned saturday because of rain showers all day

First, whats video request?

Two, don't be so sure. That little four banger is going to be straining above a 100. That 8 will make easy use of its big lungs and will move a lot of air with ease, which is what is required for high speed runs. Better gearing, more power and torque and they go into the speeds where weight is less of a problem, I bet better aerodynamics as well! Look at yalls races, what happened the higher up in the speeds you went? The longer you were in your power band? Same thing, the goat may not pull back but I bet at least it would stop its pull. Same thing happened to me the one time I raced a some what heavily modded SRT4. He inched from 50 to around a 100, top of third I stopped his pull, and into fourth started pulling back little by little. LS motors are known for their top end, you should know that!

I will for sure check out all the vids when they are up, sure wish the track was good though.

BTW to some of you asking, 340 stock is lower norm, 330 the lowest, I am one of the highest at 359/366 stock. Weather was spot on and no correction factor, or maybe it was a 2 hp correction?

Tyler

Last edited by amxguy1970; 03-07-2009 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-07-2009, 03:46 AM

i upadated the first post with videos

Originally Posted by SLoW SHO
This is proof.

Proof that bad drivers can own any type of car, and that anyone can make anything up on the internet.
yep sure is...100% proof what can u say now *******?

Last edited by NiteRiderWS6; 03-07-2009 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-07-2009, 07:38 AM

i upadated the first post with videos

yep sure is...100% proof what can u say now *******?
I lol'd.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:34 AM

[QUOTE=amxguy1970;3567806]Addressing the three bolded areas. First, BS unless its raining and even then maybe on bald tires. Some of you say us GTO owners are full of our selves? Shoot, look at some of yalls claims, spinning in third from a 60 roll? You do understand the new Vipers won't even do that right unless its raining or they are doing a big long burn out and run through the gears...

Second, that is a pretty ballsy comment from someone with a cobalt, especially one who would have a very tough time putting a car on a stock GTO. On top of someone who has claimed to own one, what happened? The gas prices get too much for you? Or are you one of those that wrecked it cause you have no idea how to handle a rear wheel drive V8 car?

Third, BS on the cobra race, I could understand maybe if the SRT had 450+. But the power to weight ratio is well in the cobras favor, and it is geared and designed to solely run fast as opposed to the economy car that makes you smile with a power bump. Why do you think KB cobras are at about the top of the food chain? They aren't going to be taken down by a lowly stage 3 Neon...

Tyler

i can tell you for sure the higher the speed the more the balt is going to pull but..i got you on the video request man...if it dosent rain tonight we will all be out doing some runs...we wont be able to go to the track like planned saturday because of rain showers all day

First, whats video request?

Two, don't be so sure. That little four banger is going to be straining above a 100. That 8 will make easy use of its big lungs and will move a lot of air with ease, which is what is required for high speed runs. Better gearing, more power and torque and they go into the speeds where weight is less of a problem, I bet better aerodynamics as well! Look at yalls races, what happened the higher up in the speeds you went? The longer you were in your power band? Same thing, the goat may not pull back but I bet at least it would stop its pull. Same thing happened to me the one time I raced a some what heavily modded SRT4. He inched from 50 to around a 100, top of third I stopped his pull, and into fourth started pulling back little by little. LS motors are known for their top end, you should know that!

I will for sure check out all the vids when they are up, sure wish the track was good though.

BTW to some of you asking, 340 stock is lower norm, 330 the lowest, I am one of the highest at 359/366 stock. Weather was spot on and no correction factor, or maybe it was a 2 hp correction?

Tyler
Question all you want. My Cobalt is faster than a stock GTO period. The videos In the 1st post now are proof of what a Tuned TC can do. My GTO blew 4 rear crankshaft seals in 20K miles it was a POS. Everything I posted is true. If you remove all the stock torque management and tune a TC there are huge gains to be had through tuning. I gained an average of 65 whp, 54 peak and 60 wtrq average, 83 peak. after tuning alone (see my dyno sheet in my gallery) As the former owner of a tuned LS2 GTO I will tell you that the Cobalt is a little quicker than my GTO was even tuned. I can spin a little when I roll on in third at 50-60 mph. It is a combination of relatively light weight big torque when the turbo wheels up and FWD. 2nd gear rolls I spin all the way to redline 69 mph. I have nothing to prove to you. Turbos dont strain at higher speeds they thrive. More load equals more power. My dad has an SRT-10 Viper and you are correct it hooks really well. May have something to do with the fact that it has 14 inch wide rear tires, goes faster in first than most cars go in 2nd and is a huge long stroke motor (does not rev as fast.) Its third gear goes as fast as my Cobalt in 4th gear approx 137 mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCcZ2Q5tQU8 Silver SRT-4 he beats Vipers. The orange Cobra is 540 whp. I believe he is a ported Eaton not Kenne Belll my bad either way he is 540 whp. Here is your proof. Happy? No more questioning Ok. Sorry, I dont have a video of me spinning in third so dont ask. My tires are brand new BTW not bald and if it is raining I can spin in almost every gear.

Last edited by Terminator2; 03-07-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:23 PM

for what its worth, mine also breaks traction in third sometimes from a roll
Old 03-07-2009, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by glhs379
for what its worth, mine also breaks traction in third sometimes from a roll
Thank you for confirming that. I kinda sucks though not getting any grip in 1st or 2nd now. 245/40/18 tires here I come.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:00 PM

nice job
Old 03-07-2009, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by glhs379
can't see why people have a hard time with a 2900 lb car with 310 wheel hp out running a 3700lb car with 340 wheel hp

what do stock 6 speed ls2 gto's dyno?

340 wheel or so?

that is only 30 wheel more but almost 800 more lbs of weigh to move.

i don't see one thing unbelievable about the above described race.
Finally someone who understands that lighter is better. A 4000lb 400 whp car is no faster than a 3000lb 300whp car if gearing, traction, and aerodynamics are the same, period. Of course a 310 whp 2900 lb car will beat a 340 whp 3725 lb car. Better power to weight ratio.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator2
Finally someone who understands that lighter is better. A 4000lb 400 whp car is no faster than a 3000lb 300whp car if gearing, traction, and aerodynamics are the same, period. Of course a 310 whp 2900 lb car will beat a 340 whp 3725 lb car. Better power to weight ratio.
Everyone knows that, why do you think vettes are so deadly? I was saying I don't doubt it won, I was just saying the faster they go the better the big engine more power car can turn the tables. Look at AMG's, prime example of that!

BTW, I am still laughing at ya'lls comments about spinning your tires at 60MPH in third with 300ish whp. Maybe if your car weighed a 1000 lbs, but even bikes don't spin at those speeds and they have even less contact patch and a much better lb-hp ratio...

Tyler
Old 03-07-2009, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by amxguy1970
Everyone knows that, why do you think vettes are so deadly? I was saying I don't doubt it won, I was just saying the faster they go the better the big engine more power car can turn the tables. Look at AMG's, prime example of that!

BTW, I am still laughing at ya'lls comments about spinning your tires at 60MPH in third with 300ish whp. Maybe if your car weighed a 1000 lbs, but even bikes don't spin at those speeds and they have even less contact patch and a much better lb-hp ratio...

Tyler
Think what you want I can spin all the way through second wich is up to 69 mph. Third depends sometimes it hooks up really well. If you look at the way the torque curve is on my car it goes up 100 ftlbs between 3500RPMs and 4000 RPMs that is why they spin a little. My car is FWD not RWD. Believe me or dont I dont care but I am telling the truth Bikes have no torque at all, and they get good traction that is why they wheelie and dont spin.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Banned

Nice videos

About to post up a fully moded Jetta here in a week or so ..
Old 03-07-2009, 03:30 PM

Question all you want. My Cobalt is faster than a stock GTO period. The videos In the 1st post now are proof of what a Tuned TC can do. My GTO blew 4 rear crankshaft seals in 20K miles it was a POS. Everything I posted is true. If you remove all the stock torque management and tune a TC there are huge gains to be had through tuning. I gained an average of 65 whp, 54 peak and 60 wtrq average, 83 peak. after tuning alone (see my dyno sheet in my gallery) As the former owner of a tuned LS2 GTO I will tell you that the Cobalt is a little quicker than my GTO was even tuned. I can spin a little when I roll on in third at 50-60 mph. It is a combination of relatively light weight big torque when the turbo wheels up and FWD. 2nd gear rolls I spin all the way to redline 69 mph. I have nothing to prove to you. Turbos dont strain at higher speeds they thrive. More load equals more power. My dad has an SRT-10 Viper and you are correct it hooks really well. May have something to do with the fact that it has 14 inch wide rear tires, goes faster in first than most cars go in 2nd and is a huge long stroke motor (does not rev as fast.) Its third gear goes as fast as my Cobalt in 4th gear approx 137 mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCcZ2Q5tQU8 Silver SRT-4 he beats Vipers. The orange Cobra is 540 whp. I believe he is a ported Eaton not Kenne Belll my bad either way he is 540 whp. Here is your proof. Happy? No more questioning Ok. Sorry, I dont have a video of me spinning in third so dont ask. My tires are brand new BTW not bald and if it is raining I can spin in almost every gear.[/QUOTE]

First, I don't question the balt being faster, I know that as I have said many times before. Less weight and approaching the same power levels is common sense.

Second, my car has been trouble free other then tire wear which you know if normal for that car until you get it fixed which I have.

Unless you car was an auto you wouldn't have benefited much from a tune alone, you should known you need full exhaust with an intake to get the power gains. 400rwhp with just bolt ons and a tune through an M6. But of course a turbo car will get bigger gains, its called upping the boost, the main thing that causes the HP for you guys. Look at what the 335's are doing on the BMW forums... But I wouldn't be surprised like you said if a bolt on tuned balt was a little faster then a tune only goat. Was yours a M6 or auto? TM affects the auto more as you know.

I can spin all second too if I am spinning to begin with, I am just saying hitting it at 60 won't break your tires loose and spin with out much more power. I bet you are hearing a chirp, which I have done maybe twice on a smooth highway when hitting it in second at 55 on a cool night, but not blowing the tires off and spinning. Sounds like both the GTO and TC have similar gearing, 2nd goes to 70ish?

I was just comparing the viper because they have about twice the hp and torque with less weight and twice the tire, and as you stated even they don't at 60.

I regular SVTP too and your buddy must have a factory freak then, cause most people there need an upper and lower to cross the 500whp on a factory "heaton" eaton with a stage 4 port. It not being a KB makes a huge difference with the heat. Those eatons after a run or two aren't efficient and lose power, but I still bet that SRT (the second silver one) is over 400+ with other bolt on supporting mods. So while I obviously don't deny the vid (good runs BTW), there is more there then meets the eye. Did the cobra have all the cooling mods needed among other things?

And that wasn't a good showing for that goat, that thing should have been pushing 500+whp at 9psi, that is kind of alot of psi for a stock lower end. With heads and cam to boot. Not sure what happened there, it should have been much faster, which makes me wonder about the actual power levels of those two SRT's seeing as how they both did against the cobra and what that red one did to the goat.

Car talk at its finest huh?

Pretty sweet your old man has a viper, what year? My dad looked at them but we are 6'4 and 6'5; so its not a good car for us. We were looking 99-02 I think, we liked that body style. We just picked up a new project car though, 66 jaguar e-type. Ya we know it is even smaller, but it has been in the family for over 40 years so we are going to bring it back to its glory days. You should see me squeeze in and out of it...

Ya'll have a good weekend.

Tyler
Old 03-07-2009, 05:45 PM

wow, nice vids. ill go eat my shorts now, seriously. congrats on the vids and racing; im glad you were able to get legit proof. props.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by restonSS
wow, nice vids. ill go eat my shorts now, seriously. congrats on the vids and racing; im glad you were able to get legit proof. props.
the cobalt went 12.80@113.40 today in dense air and on street tires ill have videos and slips up soon
Old 03-07-2009, 10:07 PM

the cobalt went 12.80@113.40 today in dense air and on street tires ill have videos and slips up soon
Please let me see those vids and slips, this outta be sweet!! SS/TC FTMFW!!!
Old 03-07-2009, 10:25 PM

Good trap, what does your car run Nite? Time and trap?

Tyler
Old 03-07-2009, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by amxguy1970
Good trap, what does your car run Nite? Time and trap?

Tyler
With his mods on street tires I'd say somewhere in the 12.7-12.8 range around 112-114, but on DR's I can see him hitting 12.5 @ 115. But who knows, LOL.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FutureEcotecOwner
With his mods on street tires I'd say somewhere in the 12.7-12.8 range around 112-114, but on DR's I can see him hitting 12.5 @ 115. But who knows, LOL.
He ran a 13.4 @ 104 last I Saw.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Banned

Cobalt is slow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XitaUTWZnos
Old 03-07-2009, 11:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was there today and saw Revhigh make several passes in the 12's. Video proof:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/R...-at_639964.htm
Old 03-08-2009, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by batboy
I was there today and saw Revhigh make several passes in the 12's. Video proof:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/R...-at_639964.htm
nice video but i wouldnt say he beat up on me...yes the GTO but not me..wait till they see my video
Old 03-08-2009, 01:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought it was a damn good race between the SS/TC and the WS6. You had better reaction time and got a nose ahead of Revhigh during the launch. So close to 12's too. Yeah, I should of worded that different on the video page.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by batboy
I thought it was a damn good race between the SS/TC and the WS6. You had better reaction time and got a nose ahead of Revhigh during the launch. So close to 12's too. Yeah, I should of worded that different on the video page.
yea we both kept going 12.8 lol...street tires and rev limiter owned my times...
Old 03-08-2009, 01:39 AM

I take back what I said in the beginning of the thread. I had no idea you were 300+ hp. Not too familiar with these LNFs.

Quick Reply: SS/TC vs LS2 GTO Part 2