War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Ss/tc vs. Ms3

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ss/tc vs. Ms3

A real good friend of mine recently bought a 2009 MS3. He kept praising it telling me how fast it was and blah blah ( all while knowing how fast my car is). So he told me once he gets his tune he wants to run because he knows its going to be hella fast! so i accept and just wait. He got cobb accessport something something and played with it for about a month until he said his tune was "perfect". So we both leave work, head to mexico, and get even. He said he wanted a 60 roll. I accept and we go.
I always like to let my opponent take the hit rather than the counting or honking so he takes the hit. I bite and by 110-115 i had 2 full cars on him. He says he sterted in the wrong gear so we go again. This time i got about 2.5 cars from 60-120. He wasnt happy.
I can't lie though, for just a tune, that little sucker was pretty quick. with some bolt-ons he may make this an interesting race. Anyways, hope yal enjoy. Figure this is some good info to anybody wondering how the MS3's move.
Side note: Im trifecta tune 21 psi, CAI, cold side pipe, and catless downpipe. I expected to roll more on him but with my CEL on, i think i need to get my MAF and O2 sensor fixed or looked at. Either way, enjoy!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:56 AM

Good race. Honestly he will pretty much hit a brick wall when modding that car very soon. Get your **** fixed and take it from a lower roll and you will see about 5 cars on him by 120 next time.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by ford
Good race. Honestly he will pretty much hit a brick wall when modding that car very soon. Get your **** fixed and take it from a lower roll and you will see about 5 cars on him by 120 next time.
ha yah i wanted a 40 roll, or even a dig. But i think he felt his best chance was the 60. Claimed it was his "sweet spot". But yah he said something about the fuel system not being able to handle too much. Oh well, Not our problem in the turbo community!
Old 12-15-2011, 09:29 AM

I raped one pretty good from a 20 roll.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice kill. Where at in the city are u at man? I never see any other SS/TC's around here. I live over on the westbank but I'm always riding around on the eastbank looking for the occasional run. And who is the driver of the MS3? This guy I went to high school with, well he graduated a year before me, but his name is Colin and I think he has a black MS3. He used to live on the westbank I think, but not sure.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:51 AM

head to mexico lmao
Old 12-15-2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by ronny1204
head to mexico lmao
ALWAYS!! lol its worth the 10 hour drive.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Boosted4
Nice kill. Where at in the city are u at man? I never see any other SS/TC's around here. I live over on the westbank but I'm always riding around on the eastbank looking for the occasional run. And who is the driver of the MS3? This guy I went to high school with, well he graduated a year before me, but his name is Colin and I think he has a black MS3. He used to live on the westbank I think, but not sure.
Hey man i live in Metairie right off power blvd. I go to the westbank sometimes because my girlfriend lives in waggamen. Yah i've only seen one other ss/tc, and it was sport red like mine. Lol we saw each other driving and both like paused then freaked out! we had both never seen one before, so we pulled over and chatted for a sec. But the guy in the ms3 is from french settlement. Met him while i was at southeastern, he was always a fan of my car so when he finally bought something worthy he was ready to roll. we should meet up though sometime, i have yet to see another modified cobalt SS which shocks the hell out me cuz we're in a BIG CITY!
Old 12-15-2011, 10:27 AM

Omg dude I live in Waggaman! What a f*ckin coincidence eh? I never see you around here though, weird. My car is black with black wheels with a silver lip, can't believe you haven't seen me rolling around. Besides you, I know of another SS/TC, a black one, dude lives not too far from me in St. Charles Parish in Boutte on Barton Ave right off river road.

I also saw a red SS/TC on Williams blvd one time, I was turning into French Press coffee shop across from Lamarque Ford. Maybe it was you lol. Are you Will's friend? He drives a silver SS/SC. I've chilled with him before. I sold him my stock wheels a few months ago actually. But yea dude, we should hook up one of these days and go cruising or something.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:32 AM

Omg dude I live in Waggaman! What a f*ckin coincidence eh? I never see you around here though, weird. My car is black with black wheels with a silver lip, can't believe you haven't seen me rolling around. Besides you, I know of another SS/TC, a black one, dude lives not too far from me in St. Charles Parish in Boutte on Barton Ave right off river road.

I also saw a red SS/TC on Williams blvd one time, I was turning into French Press coffee shop across from Lamarque Ford. Maybe it was you lol. Are you Will's friend? He drives a silver SS/SC. I've chilled with him before. I sold him my stock wheels a few months ago actually. But yea dude, we should hook up one of these days and go cruising or something.
haha no ****!! thats awesome. yah her parents live there so when she's on break from school she stays there. I met will at import face off in baton rouge a few months back. He's the stage 3 silver ss/sc right? def a cool guy. if you saw a red one on williams im almost gaurunteed it was me. I work out at the french on williams and get off the interstate there every day coming home from work.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:52 AM

Cool **** man, I guess it's a small world haha. You still go to SELU?
Old 12-15-2011, 11:15 AM

ha yah very small. nah i just graduated in may, got a job with an engineering firm.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:40 PM

That's cool. I'm thinking about going back to school. I've been with the NOPD the last few years and I'm not sure if it what I want to do for the next 30 years ya know lol. I left the department in May and went to Lafourche Parish Sheriff's Office. So boring out there I hated it. So right now I'm slated to get back with the NOPD early next year, but I'm having second thoughts. It's just really hard to stay focused on school and being a cop at the same time. They always mess with our schedules and days off and stuff, it's just aggravating. Not to mention the **** you gotta take from the citizens, who 75% of the city hates you LOL. Definitely an experience though, lots of fun times, but lots of bs too.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:02 PM

No big deal. I beat a tuned one when i had gms1. Ditch your sissy 21psi and go full 24psi with e85 and see what a joke his car is.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by raver0789
No big deal. I beat a tuned one when i had gms1. Ditch your sissy 21psi and go full 24psi with e85 and see what a joke his car is.
Get a clutch. Stocker won't like the torque for long.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by raver0789
i wouldnt doubt it. Never said it was a big deal. trust me i know i shouldve wiped the floor with him, but still a good story for others to relate to.

Originally Posted by AndrewSS/TC
Get a clutch. Stocker won't like the torque for long.
yah thats def on my list right now. Have a 09 with 65k miles. almost time for a new one.

Last edited by jmfselu; 12-15-2011 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-15-2011, 01:12 PM

That's cool. I'm thinking about going back to school. I've been with the NOPD the last few years and I'm not sure if it what I want to do for the next 30 years ya know lol. I left the department in May and went to Lafourche Parish Sheriff's Office. So boring out there I hated it. So right now I'm slated to get back with the NOPD early next year, but I'm having second thoughts. It's just really hard to stay focused on school and being a cop at the same time. They always mess with our schedules and days off and stuff, it's just aggravating. Not to mention the **** you gotta take from the citizens, who 75% of the city hates you LOL. Definitely an experience though, lots of fun times, but lots of bs too.
oh man i cant imagine. I know new orleans has its problems, which is why i never really go down there much. I also can relate to the working/school thing. I worked all 4 years of school while my lucky ass friends had there ways paid. funny thing is im the only one who did it in 4 years, got a job, and a brand new car while they are gonna be getting those 7 year degrees lmao. Thats got to be an interesting job though. Theres probably so much **** you see down there!
Old 12-15-2011, 11:06 PM

heard ms3's break alot when you begin to modify... as in more than the average modded car lol

oh and nice runs man.. been wanting to kill one myself lol

Last edited by DerekDTP!; 12-15-2011 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-16-2011, 02:34 PM

Fact. My friend had one. 2008.5, same difference though. The engine responded incredibly to the intake. His car had a full TBE, intake, MAP clamp, Boost controller, and some other intake mod. For a heavy ass car the thing moved out. tons of torque. but it fell on its face after about 7Krpm it seemed like. needs a turbo upgrade and tune bad.

But the car sounded incredible with that stuff. Extremley loud, but a really realllyy deep tone for a 4cylinder.

Originally Posted by DerekDTP!
heard ms3's break alot when you begin to modify... as in more than the average modded car lol

yea, their engines are pretty weak for what they are.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:18 PM

i rather include a visual lol haha......but i have never been beat by a mazdaspeed even with a 30r on it

Cobalt ss/tc vs Mazda speed3 - YouTube
Old 12-16-2011, 06:55 PM

Problem with ms3 atm is they are just now getting a tuning solution through people doing a "perm" tune through the accessport. But don't be fooled there are fast speeds out there but they are at a disadvantage since they are heavier, have a 6 speed instead of a 5 like us, and have a smaller k04 from the factory. Plus the ones that are modded and running a accessport without a perm tune are running OTS maps mainly and honestly they suck ha ha. Plus when they start modding they have to upgrade their hpfp internals which is anywhere from 500 ( if they do the mod themselves ) to 900 if they buy the whole pump.

But most of the time the cobalt will come out on top . Nice races
Old 12-18-2011, 09:57 PM

Good race. Honestly he will pretty much hit a brick wall when modding that car very soon.
This is false.

Originally Posted by DerekDTP!

A lot of MS3's blew up when they first came out and the aftermarked just started but a lot has been learned recently. A lot more is understood about them and hardly any "blow up" anymore.

Originally Posted by DebadgedBALT77
Fact. My friend had one. 2008.5, same difference though. The engine responded incredibly to the intake. His car had a full TBE, intake, MAP clamp, Boost controller, and some other intake mod. For a heavy ass car the thing moved out. tons of torque. but it fell on its face after about 7Krpm it seemed like. needs a turbo upgrade and tune bad.

But the car sounded incredible with that stuff. Extremley loud, but a really realllyy deep tone for a 4cylinder.

yea, their engines are pretty weak for what they are.
Their engines are actually pretty strong. A lot of the blown motors were from bad tuning or a lack of understanding of the car. There are many (at least a lot have come up recently) running around with more than 450whp on stock motor and one or two have been carrying over 500whp on the stock motor. Even the stock clutch has been shown to hold more than 450ftlbs of trq for an extended period of time and abuse.

Don't get me wrong. The cobalt is definitely a fast car and is a lot easier to get power out of. But then again, there has been quite a few very recent advancements that is allowing the MS3 to gain power almost just as easily.

Oh and they're not that heavy lol!
Old 12-19-2011, 02:16 AM

^^^ And here's the rebuttle from a MS3 owner
Old 12-19-2011, 03:28 AM

^^^ And here's the rebuttle from a MS3 owner
Lol! I don't remember now why I cared enough to post all that... ohwell...

good race op!
Old 12-19-2011, 08:25 AM

lol thanks for all the support guys. its def a nice little car, but i want him to mod so i can clear my codes and roll on him again haha. The sad part is he wants to beat me soooo bad. he had a turbo civic before on 7psi that could never hang with me. He swore he would buy a car thats faster than mine hah.

Quick Reply: Ss/tc vs. Ms3