War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Ss/tc vs. Ms3

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Super Wagon
This is false.

A lot of MS3's blew up when they first came out and the aftermarked just started but a lot has been learned recently. A lot more is understood about them and hardly any "blow up" anymore.

Their engines are actually pretty strong. A lot of the blown motors were from bad tuning or a lack of understanding of the car. There are many (at least a lot have come up recently) running around with more than 450whp on stock motor and one or two have been carrying over 500whp on the stock motor. Even the stock clutch has been shown to hold more than 450ftlbs of trq for an extended period of time and abuse.

Don't get me wrong. The cobalt is definitely a fast car and is a lot easier to get power out of. But then again, there has been quite a few very recent advancements that is allowing the MS3 to gain power almost just as easily.

Oh and they're not that heavy lol!

Sorry i stalk the MS3 forums and i see people struggling to make bigger power on the cars even with turbo upgrades. I would like to see one of these fast MS3's personally because they arent here. Gen1 Genpoo, doesnt matter. I love the MS3's and it was almost my DD, i just never see that many people making a lot of power with them.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:01 AM

As much as I loved my MS3 I have to say power wise the cobalt is better. I do miss the interior of my speed and the subie like exhaust tone. I just wish she lasted long enough for me to get those "perm" tunes that I hear about.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by ms3 2 sstc
as much as i loved my ms3 i have to say power wise the cobalt is better. I do miss the interior of my speed and the subie like exhaust tone. I just wish she lasted long enough for me to get those "perm" tunes that i hear about.
what is a perm tune?
Old 12-19-2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by jmfselu
what is a perm tune?
Perm is a guy who tunes via the Cobb Access Tunner Racer. It's like getting s pro tune from Cobb without paying $600 for it. He's sort of like a Mike (BYT) for the Mazdaspeed community.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by ford
Sorry i stalk the MS3 forums and i see people struggling to make bigger power on the cars even with turbo upgrades. I would like to see one of these fast MS3's personally because they arent here. Gen1 Genpoo, doesnt matter. I love the MS3's and it was almost my DD, i just never see that many people making a lot of power with them.
How long has it been since you've been on the ms3 forum and which one are you on? There is a guy on there now with 350whp and 450wtq with intake, downpipe, tune and e85 only. For some odd reason most of the big turbo guys run in packs. You will find them in areas like new Mexico, new jersey and Missouri... Your right in that there is not that many of them but pretty much all the big turbo guys are making more than 400whp.

And yes, PERM tuning is legit. I know from experience. I actually have video of me losing to a cobalt ss/tc buy a couple of busses and then me losing to the same cobalt by a couple inches. The only difference in my car being the tune. The cobalt was full bolt ons and trifecta 23psi. Yes I lost both times but you can see what kinda difference a perm tune makes...