War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.
View Poll Results: Carlengths?
1-2
33.33%
3-4
49.38%
5+
17.28%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Stage 1 SS/TC vs Stock SS/TC

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 03:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cakeeater
LULZ. It only shows who's car is faster from a roll. Traction is an important part of a car's performance. The 1/4 is a much better test of which car is faster. A roll race just shows which car pulls harder from that one speed

A race has a designated beginning and a designated finish it's not, "oh hey let's run from this speed until someone is far enough to head to give the other one the finger." Roll racing is a lame excuse for racing made by people with fwd cars because they were racing rwd/awd cars and getting owned. The end.
roll racing is to prove who's car is faster... it's not about driver skill at all... hence why it is being used to show the power gains and speed difference the stage 1 kit gives realistically the stage 1 will be faster in the 1/4 no matter what... as long as you have a driver that can use the extra power efficiently there will be no question who is faster in the 1/4.

You can be and many times are. Roll racing is just unimportant imo. If one car is faster form a 30 roll and one is faster from a 60 roll....which car is faster?
that is only true when comparing different cars... when comparing the same car with a different tune the stock car should not have an advantage unless the tune destroys the hell out of the power curve which is not likely.

Last edited by Cobalt_Daddy; 01-08-2010 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-08-2010, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or you can just run 550 awhp with a 10k redline and make/hold max power all the way to redline.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:53 PM

i want vids
Old 01-08-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Daddy
roll racing is to prove who's car is faster... it's not about driver skill at all... hence why it is being used to show the power gains and speed difference the stage 1 kit gives realistically the stage 1 will be faster in the 1/4 no matter what... as long as you have a driver that can use the extra power efficiently there will be no question who is faster in the 1/4.

that is only true when comparing different cars... when comparing the same car with a different tune the stock car should not have an advantage unless the tune destroys the hell out of the power curve which is not likely.
And if you're comparing the same car with more power, it should be faster in the 1/4 anyway, so again the roll race is pointless unless one person can't drive. Roll racing is for people that A. can't drive B. Don't have traction and are wasting their time making a bunch of power with no traction. C. Have a bunch o' lag. All are bad.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Banned

LULZ. It only shows who's car is faster from a roll. Traction is an important part of a car's performance. The 1/4 is a much better test of which car is faster. A roll race just shows which car pulls harder from that one speed

A race has a designated beginning and a designated finish it's not, "oh hey let's run from this speed until someone is far enough ahead to give the other one the finger." Roll racing is a lame excuse for racing made by people with fwd cars because they were racing rwd/awd cars and getting owned. The end.

Think of all the sanctioned professional races in any sport...all of them have starts and finishes. In a roll race, the speed you start at and the gearing of the two cars has more to do with who is going to pull than the overall performance of the cars.
from one speed? no a roll to 130 mph will give you the faster car from any start point, 40 30 20 50 60, you name it. it proves what car really moves faster overall, not which car gets off the line faster. a dig race proves what car is quicker from 1 speed...and that is 0.

think of the fastest man in the world, usain bolt. hell he might loose the 40 yard dash to alot of sprinters, but at MAXIMUM speed he is the fastest man in the world. so it would be stupid to say another man is faster just because he gets off the line quicker.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:58 PM

where's the vids..?
Old 01-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Banned

And if you're comparing the same car with more power, it should be faster in the 1/4 anyway, so again the roll race is pointless unless one person can't drive. Roll racing is for people that A. can't drive B. Don't have traction and are wasting their time making a bunch of power with no traction. C. Have a bunch o' lag. All are bad.

the key is "should be" but not always do to driver error my friend. the point is a roll race is going to determine who is REALLY driving the faster car. not the driver.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by springerdesigner
where's the vids..?
vids?????

what are these vids u speak of??

We have no vids here...
Old 01-08-2010, 04:00 PM

you are right... or it is for someone that likes to race but doesn't like to beat the hell out of his car and spend $$$ on tires, clutches, axles etc. but still likes to go fast. and i think the point of this thread was to show the speed/power difference between the stock SS/TC and the stage 1 SS/TC it will be interesting to say the least to see how much of a difference 20hp and 60lbft will make.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:01 PM

Old 01-08-2010, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by 1BADSS/SC
We have no vids here...
I noticed...

exactly.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:02 PM

Or you can just run 550 awhp with a 10k redline and make/hold max power all the way to redline.
ya if ya feel like robbing a bank lol
Old 01-08-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mike09SS
from one speed? no a roll to 130 mph will give you the faster car from any start point, 40 30 20 50 60, you name it. it proves what car really moves faster overall, not which car gets off the line faster. a dig race proves what car is quicker from 1 speed...and that is 0.

think of the fastest man in the world, usain bolt. hell he might loose the 40 yard dash to alot of sprinters, but at MAXIMUM speed he is the fastest man in the world. so it would be stupid to say another man is faster just because he gets off the line quicker.
What the **** are you talking about? Usain doesn't get a rolling start in his races does he?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFE1ctdRc88

A roll race takes out the MAJORLY IMPORTANT factor of traction. A 60 roll you are completely disregarding low end power, shorter gearing and aerodynamics will even play a part. A dig race proves which car is faster overall because it includes all aspects. in the 1/4 if you can't catch up, your car is ******' slower, simple as that. 0 to ~110 includes traction, low end acceleration, midrange, and getting into the top end. Who gives a **** about speeds after that?

There's a reason roll racing is so popular among ricers. FWD cars with no traction whatsoever because idiots think all that matters is power. If you bet me money that your car was faster than mine what kind of race would you do to prove that? If you said roll I would laugh at you. If anything, a 0-top speed run would be the most accurate, but that's stupid dangerous and different cars have different top speeds. The 1/4 is the most widely accepted way of telling which cars is faster than x the only reason you can't accept that is because you have a fwd car and probably lose more from a dig than a roll. Have you ever been to the track?
Old 01-08-2010, 04:03 PM

ok point here is the stage 1 will be faster.. but how much faster?
Old 01-08-2010, 04:05 PM

makes these:

Old 01-08-2010, 04:06 PM

^thats disgusting and funny
Old 01-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Banned

What the **** are you talking about? Usain doesn't get a rolling start in his races does he?

A roll race takes out the MAJORLY IMPORTANT factor of traction. A 60 roll you are completely disregarding low end power, shorter gearing and aerodynamics will even play a part. A dig race proves which car is faster overall because it includes all aspects. in the 1/4 if you can't catch up, your car is ******' slower, simple as that. 0 to ~110 includes traction, low end acceleration, midrange, and getting into the top end. Who gives a **** about speeds after that?

There's a reason roll racing is so popular among ricers. FWD cars with no traction whatsoever because idiots think all that matters is power. If you bet me money that your car was faster than mine what kind of race would you do to prove that? If you said roll I would laugh at you.
no kidding he doesnt get a running start LOL come on man ino your smarter than this. the race is 100 meters not a 40 yard dash. your killin me smalls. point is after 40 yards he destroys everyone. so its dumb to say a 40 yard dash determines the fastest person because they havent maximized their top speed, just who got the best start. get it?

Alot of people give a **** after speeds of 110. look online, youtube has a ton of videos .
I personally give a **** when i know im pulling a guy but his RWD car got the jump on me so he thinks his car is faster. overall its not and we both know it, so why say he is? its dumb. thats all.

edit even if i had a mustang or evo i still wouldnt feel better knowing my car was actually slower .
Old 01-08-2010, 04:09 PM

Vids of the cars or ban lol
Old 01-08-2010, 04:11 PM

There's a reason roll racing is so popular among ricers. FWD cars with no traction whatsoever because idiots think all that matters is power. If you bet me money that your car was faster than mine what kind of race would you do to prove that? If you said roll I would laugh at you. If anything, a 0-top speed run would be the most accurate, but that's stupid dangerous and different cars have different top speeds. The 1/4 is the most widely accepted way of telling which cars is faster than x the only reason you can't accept that is because you have a fwd car and probably lose more from a dig than a roll. Have you ever been to the track?
i see the point you are trying to make and you are partially right... ... but bah a race is a race and the only things that should be considered is what you are comparing... driver vs driver ... car vs car... drive/car vs driver/car .. etc.
the point being made is the stage 1 will be faster in all respects no matter how you cut it... a 1/4 mile comparison is not needed... besides that it's the cars being compared not the drivers.... the best way to show this is froma roll... otherwise ya got people bitching that the driver sucked and that their stage 1 is wayyyy faster than a stock tc or that they raced a stage 1 and were neck and neck... yada yadda yadda... you know how this goes... just wait for the video and enjoy the difference between the cars... no matter how big or small it may be... it is what it is. and like i said not all of us want to spend money replacing driveline parts and tires because we like to race from a dig
Old 01-08-2010, 04:13 PM

true that man ^
Old 01-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Daddy
bah a race is a race and the only things that should be considered is what you are comparing... driver vs driver ... car vs car... drive/car vs driver/car .. etc.
the point being made is the stage 1 will be faster in all respects no matter how you cut it... a 1/4 mile comparison is not needed... besides that it's the cars being compared not the drivers.... the best way to show this is froma roll... otherwise ya got people bitching that the driver sucked and that their stage 1 is wayyyy faster than a stock tc or that they raced a stage 1 and were neck and neck... yada yadda yadda... you know how this goes... just wait for the video and enjoy the difference between the cars... no matter how big or small it may be... it is what it is. and like i said not all of us want to spend money replacing driveline parts and tires because we like to race from a dig
thank you. thats all im saying. were taking out the drivers aspect thats all. not sure why he cant see that. starting from a dig is different everytime, usually from a 40 roll or 60 roll you have a good consistent showing of what the car is capable of. not bitching about who got the better start all the time.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:17 PM

no kidding he doesnt get a running start LOL come on man ino your smarter than this. the race is 100 meters not a 40 yard dash. your killin me smalls. point is after 40 yards he destroys everyone. so its dumb to say a 40 yard dash determines the fastest person because they havent maximized their top speed, just who got the best start. get it?

Alot of people give a **** after speeds of 110. look online, youtube has a ton of videos .
I personally give a **** when i know im pulling a guy but his RWD car got the jump on me so he thinks his car is faster. overall its not and we both know it, so why say he is? its dumb. thats all.

edit even if i had a mustang or evo i still wouldnt feel better knowing my car was actually slower .
actually slower because you pull after 110? Well why not just keep going to top speed? A 15 second car can top out at 165, but your 13 second car only 145...eventually if the race keeps going that 15 second car will pull ahead of that 13 second car...by your logic, whichever car has the highest top speed is the overall faster car. You might as well not even race.

By doing a roll race you are completely taking traction out of the equation and altering the effect gearing has on the race. If all sprinters were running the same speed then the race started, bolt may not be the fastest person in the world because all of the factors would change which is exactly what you do when you roll race. You take out the factor of traction because YOU and your roll racing buddies have a major disadvantage in that department. It doesn't change the fact that it is an important part of a car's performance and should be included in the race. If the rest of the word thought like you, sports cars would all be civic hatches with huge turbos because only top end matters

You are basically saying that if a car will eventually pull the other at a high speed, it is the faster car...so whichever car has the higher top speed is the faster car. While technically this is correct because you say faster rather than "quicker" it is a stupid type of logic that completely negates the need for a race.

Think of it this way-

Your car makes 700whp. A base z06 will still be the "faster" car because it will still have a higher top speed. If the race went on long enough, no matter how big your lead was (it would be HUGE), because you accelerated faster, that z06 WILL pass you eventually...so it's the faster car do you see the flaw in your logic here?

Here, a roll race makes sense because this is for comparison purposes, but IT ONLY WORKS WITH CARS THAT HAVE THE SAME GEARING, EFFECTIVE POWERBANDS AND RESISTANCE. My point is, roll racing is usually not a good judge of which car is "faster" because most of the time, different rolls will have different outcomes and you are taking out a lot of factors that would still be included ALONG WITH ALL THE OTHERS in a dig race.

You guys are supporting roll racing as the end all be all of which car is faster in any scenario and that is far from the truth, that's why I'm arguing with you. Roll racing will forever be the ricer's answer to traction problems.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:21 PM

everyone flood slow sho with emails til he gives in and posts the vid hahaha hurry man i gotta go see avatar tonight and don't want this dilemma distracting me from enjoying the movie :P

P.S. side note it is hard to see avatar unless you book your tickets in advance gebus... always sold out. passed the 1 billion profit mark and still going strong :S

actually slower because you pull after 110? Well why not just keep going to top speed? A 15 second car can top out at 165, but your 13 second car only 145...eventually if the race keeps going that 15 second car will pull ahead of that 13 second car...by your logic, whichever car has the highest top speed is the overall faster car. You might as well not even race.

By doing a roll race you are completely taking traction out of the equation and altering the effect gearing has on the race. If all sprinters were running the same speed then the race started, bolt may not be the fastest person in the world because all of the factors would change which is exactly what you do when you roll race. You take out the factor of traction because YOU and your roll racing buddies have a major disadvantage in that department. It doesn't change the fact that it is an important part of a car's performance and should be included in the race. If the rest of the word thought like you, sports cars would all be civic hatches with huge turbos
sadly most sports cars nowadays are just that... lol or at least that's what the younger generation thinks (god i feel old saying that )

but on that note it's two exact same cobalts being compared so those factors shouldn't be an issue since both cars should be equal in those aspects..other than the slight power gain the stage 1 has .. so as much as you do have somewhat of a valid point... it doesn't apply to this situation

Last edited by Cobalt_Daddy; 01-08-2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Banned

By doing a roll race you are completely taking traction out of the equation and altering the effect gearing has on the race. If all sprinters were running the same speed then the race started, bolt may not be the fastest person in the world because all of the factors would change which is exactly what you do when you roll race. You take out the factor of traction because YOU and your roll racing buddies have a major disadvantage in that department. It doesn't change the fact that it is an important part of a car's performance and should be included in the race. If the rest of the word thought like you, sports cars would all be civic hatches with huge turbos

i never said id pull after 110. im saying your giving the driver the advantage by starting at 0. even if it was two cobalts lined up, advantage to the driver. not the car. if i make 20 whp more than the guy next to me and he is a fantastic drivea id assume hed still have me in the 1/4. from a 40 roll though id have him. so i dont consider him faster, i just consider him the better driver. if he drove my car hed beat me even worse, thats all im saying. for you guys who like to drag thats fine thats a skill that i respect, i just dont agree that always determines the fastest car. to each their own.

lol i duno if the world would turn to big turbo civics, it would still be turbo v8s. they would obviously still reign supreme if you heavily modded both.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:32 PM

i never said id pull after 110. im saying your giving the driver the advantage by starting at 0. even if it was two cobalts lined up, advantage to the driver. not the car. if i make 20 whp more than the guy next to me and he is a fantastic drivea id assume hed still have me in the 1/4. from a 40 roll though id have him. so i dont consider him faster, i just consider him the better driver. if he drove my car hed beat me even worse, thats all im saying. for you guys who like to drag thats fine thats a skill that i respect, i just dont agree that always determines the fastest car. to each their own.

lol i duno if the world would turn to big turbo civics, it would still be turbo v8s. they would obviously still reign supreme if you heavily modded both.
Yes, but you're thinking the good driver gives the slower car an advantage, but in reality it's the bad driver in the other car that takes away from the capabilities of the faster car. Assuming two good drivers, a dig race will always show which car is faster overall. if you want, you can draw the dig out to a higher speed, but a dig will include ALL factors while a roll will not. That's the point. When you compare two things, you compare all factors, you don't take out the factors that give one car an advantage or you might as well just race two identical cars with identical power output.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 SS/TC vs Stock SS/TC