War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

sti ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dude lets be real here, a sti runs 13's because it is AWD!!!!!!!! if we kept our HP and were AWD we would be in the 13's as well. i absolutely think you will beat him. i have seen a couple good drivers on here "hang" with an sti, at least for a little while when they were stock(no they werent even). with GM stage 2 and your other mods you should have no trouble at all from him if he is stock(from a roll of course). i dont know what kind of driver you are, but your time isnt that great. i dont know the weather up there though, that could explain it... down here a good driver would be mid 13's easily with those mods.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:32 AM
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mines_Better
dude lets be real here, a sti runs 13's because it is AWD!!!!!!!! if we kept our HP and were AWD we would be in the 13's as well. i absolutely think you will beat him. i have seen a couple good drivers on here "hang" with an sti, at least for a little while when they were stock(no they werent even). with GM stage 2 and your other mods you should have no trouble at all from him if he is stock(from a roll of course). i dont know what kind of driver you are, but your time isnt that great. i dont know the weather up there though, that could explain it... down here a good driver would be mid 13's easily with those mods.
do you mean if the cobalt kept their stock hp and were awd the cobalt will run 13's?
Old 09-19-2006, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by superSS/SC
Ask and ye shall receive... http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ecs_price.html

Can you show me a Stage 2 SS/SC smoking an STI?
also that example you put up is for an 06. those are faster than the 04's are they not?
Old 09-19-2006, 01:35 AM
Platinum Member

also that example you put up is for an 06. those are faster than the 04's are they not?
yes, the 06's are faster by a little but the 04's look 100X better.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by DC52NV
do you mean if the cobalt kept their stock hp and were awd the cobalt will run 13's?
yes, if we were AWD, but could still put about 210hp to the ground, i could see 13's. stock people are running low 14's so i think it would make sense.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:40 AM

yes, the 06's are faster by a little but the 04's look 100X better.
a little meaning maybe by about .4 -.5 seconds? and i totally agree with that second part.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:44 AM
Platinum Member

yes, if we were AWD, but could still put about 210hp to the ground, i could see 13's. stock people are running low 14's so i think it would make sense.
i won't say that you won't or that you will. we will more than likely never know. if i had to guess i would say if you did hit 13's it would be high 13's and no where close to low 13's. stock 06 sti's do run low 13's w/ 300hp/300tq so 210hp/195(guess)tq just doesn't add up. it's like me trying to figure out my 1/4 time when i just go to a 1/8 track.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:44 AM

roll racing? a real driver will race from a dead stop. i dont care if you have a 400whp car vs a 200whp car, a real race if its gonna be a drag race is from a dead stop. that shows true driver skill. cuz keep in mind allthough he may have AWD what if he doesnt launch at high enough RPM then he'll bog the crap out of his car. its all drivers skill. and roll racing doesnt show any drivers skill.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:47 AM

wth, now I'm just confused.....Is "mines-better" trying to say a stock cobalt ss/sc will hang with a stock sti? bro......

205hp FWD vs 300hp AWD............what are you thinking? 95hp difference plus the traction of awd and you think stock to stock the balt has a chance?

I love my car, but I can't wish it fast...
Old 09-19-2006, 01:48 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Eddie
roll racing? a real driver will race from a dead stop. i dont care if you have a 400whp car vs a 200whp car, a real race if its gonna be a drag race is from a dead stop. that shows true driver skill. cuz keep in mind allthough he may have AWD what if he doesnt launch at high enough RPM then he'll bog the crap out of his car. its all drivers skill. and roll racing doesnt show any drivers skill.
great post. if you're saying, "let's race from a dig cuz it's not fair i can't launch and you will just dart off the line" then your ass shouldn't race him/her. simple as that. don't find ways to give you an advantage. that's just weaksauce.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:48 AM

i won't say that you won't or that you will. we will more than likely never know. if i had to guess i would say if you did hit 13's it would be high 13's and no where close to low 13's. stock 06 sti's do run low 13's w/ 300hp/300tq so 210hp/195(guess)tq just doesn't add up. it's like me trying to figure out my 1/4 time when i just go to a 1/8 track.
i agree, i wouldnt expect even mid 13's. i would say 13.8 or 13.9 could be reasonable. and i also agree that the 06 sti can run low 13's, but im sure it is a rare sight to see that 13 flat.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:53 AM

yeah roll racing aint much, put it this way i've taking out cars that are way out of my league on freeways from 60-130 mph, porsche 911 carrerra S's that are mid-low 12 seconds cars, i've takin out evos, well that was actually off the line i forgot. haha new Saleen's and Roushe stage 2 even though it was all suspension and still 300 hp, but i still rapped those three cars, the mustangs, and the porsche from 80mph+, and iknow for a fact that porsche would have killed me from a dead stop. and the mustangs well i'd take them.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Yodair8
wth, now I'm just confused.....Is "mines-better" trying to say a stock cobalt ss/sc will hang with a stock sti? bro......

205hp FWD vs 300hp AWD............what are you thinking? 95hp difference plus the traction of awd and you think stock to stock the balt has a chance?

I love my car, but I can't wish it fast...
someone needs to read more carefully. my post never said that at all. i said that i have seen stock cobalts hang "a little bit". but OF COURSE the sti still beat it. i even said "NO THEY WERENT EVEN." fact is the sti is a bad ass car, but it is getting way too much credit in this thread. from a stop, the sti is the obvious power house, but it gets that reputation from its AWD capability. put that same car in a roll race, which is what this guy wants to do, it isnt gonna be that same power house. especially against this cobalt who is definitely capable of mid 13's with some traction. a cobalt with just stg 2 has been shown, at the least, staying even with a stock sti. now add a smaller pulley, a CAI, and this tune he is getting from the tuning master and you have an ass whoopin!
Old 09-19-2006, 02:04 AM

i tell you what ..if silver ss brings his camera to the track friday you will see if i am faster or not from a dig and if silver doesnt care we can go out and do the roll in town ... so you all have proof .... i hope silver comes to the track....
Old 09-19-2006, 10:42 AM

I'll put a wager on the sti beating you by a car and a half.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:13 AM

this whole roll racing is rice is so freaking stupid. IMO does it require less driver skill, absofuckinglutely. do you guys even know when and why roll racing came up? it came way back in the day when there were guys with slicks on their muscle cars wanting to race an opponent on street tires. how is that fair? it is simply a method of leveling out the playing field. the problem with roll racing these days is people pick there favorite MPH to go at, is that fair, no. roll racing in its truest form is a way to levelize traction, thats it. the ricer part comes into it when people are wanting to go from 50 and 60 mph, thats rice. a roll race should be done from a slow roll such as 5-10 mph, thus levelizing traction not putting one car at its best RPM.

another thing people are forgetting is the fact that in a dig race the STi can bring its boost up right from the get go, pretty hard to do in a roll race. supercharger has huge advantage in this type of race on the start because it makes boost a **** ton quicker.

my buddy just bought his 2006 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5. guess what i smoke his ass from a roll all day, then just to expirement i would let him get into boost before i would take off and i would barely pull him, completely different race. does he say thats rice, **** no, its a different kind of test than drag racing.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:22 AM

take a camera and a buddy ... make sure the sti has someone in the car too to make it even ... do a dig, 5-10mph roll at least, and this argument should be resolved with video footage ... just don't mess up and smash the gas in first or miss a shift
Old 09-19-2006, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
this whole roll racing is rice is so freaking stupid. IMO does it require less driver skill, absofuckinglutely. do you guys even know when and why roll racing came up? it came way back in the day when there were guys with slicks on their muscle cars wanting to race an opponent on street tires. how is that fair? it is simply a method of leveling out the playing field. the problem with roll racing these days is people pick there favorite MPH to go at, is that fair, no. roll racing in its truest form is a way to levelize traction, thats it. the ricer part comes into it when people are wanting to go from 50 and 60 mph, thats rice. a roll race should be done from a slow roll such as 5-10 mph, thus levelizing traction not putting one car at its best RPM.

another thing people are forgetting is the fact that in a dig race the STi can bring its boost up right from the get go, pretty hard to do in a roll race. supercharger has huge advantage in this type of race on the start because it makes boost a **** ton quicker.

my buddy just bought his 2006 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5. guess what i smoke his ass from a roll all day, then just to expirement i would let him get into boost before i would take off and i would barely pull him, completely different race. does he say thats rice, **** no, its a different kind of test than drag racing.
the way i see it is, if you know the other car has the advantage then don't race it. simple as that. if they are just gonna race for the hell of it and not really race then go from a roll. it's just that i hate it when people race from a roll against an awd car and they automatically think that their car smoked it. if the cobalt owner is going to race him from a roll and let's say he beat him, then he has no right to say he's faster than an STi. to save a headache though, if you know the other car will destroy you off the line then just don't race him. you're not in the same league as him.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:46 PM

the way i see it is, if you know the other car has the advantage then don't race it. simple as that. if they are just gonna race for the hell of it and not really race then go from a roll. it's just that i hate it when people race from a roll against an awd car and they automatically think that their car smoked it. if the cobalt owner is going to race him from a roll and let's say he beat him, then he has no right to say he's faster than an STi. to save a headache though, if you know the other car will destroy you off the line then just don't race him. you're not in the same league as him.
ahhhh ty well put, and yes a sti stock will run low 13's, my friends that ran a 12.1 ran a 13.031 when it was stock.....also saw a stage 2 sti run an 11.2 2 weeks ago in phoenix.....
Old 09-19-2006, 04:32 PM

i do agree with these statements. no one can say they are faster than a sti just cause they won from a roll.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:50 PM

IMO racing is racing. if you want to see your cars capability do both. If you win both means your car is really good.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:08 PM

i do agree with these statements. no one can say they are faster than a sti just cause they won from a roll.
agreed but if they (the more 'powerful car') bite the hook and lose what are they to say? oh I wasn't really trying to race you by smashing the gas after switching to the optimal gear and shifting quickly to try and outrun you. so if you beat them off the line does that mean you win? what about being asleep at the line when it's time to go? then everyone comes back to say drivermod yadda yadda shitty launch yadda yadda slick tires yadda yadda. I think the same goes both ways if you race you had better win or forget making up stupid excusses for your inability to win
Old 09-19-2006, 05:08 PM

i think you will win or be pretty close when you race from a 40... i like racing from a roll when the person with awd or rwd is cocky enough to think that the slowbalt couldnt keep up or even come close no matter what the handicap...
Old 09-19-2006, 06:12 PM

i agree that you cant just say "my car is faster than yours" just when you win from a roll. but you know what you can say, "my car is faster from a roll." his is faster from a dig, thats it. noone car argue with that.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
i agree that you cant just say "my car is faster than yours" just when you win from a roll. but you know what you can say, "my car is faster from a roll." his is faster from a dig, thats it. noone car argue with that.
very true. to add, if when he races this sti they only go from a roll, then it would be more fair to go from multiple speeds. go from the strong points of the cobalt and then from the strong points of the sti, that is the only fair way to do it. i would say, race from a stop as well just for ***** and giggles.

Quick Reply: sti ?