War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

STI From a dig....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gonzo2007
The STI traps I have seen have been as high as 103 MPH. There is no way you should have been anywhere near him with an intake. It was either a regular WRX, running on 3 cylinders, or he started in third gear. No offence man but they are lethal
It said STi my friend. We had a video camera in the car, i wish i got my girlfriend to take a video. 103 Thats pretty quick, maybe the driver wasn't good? I did notice i shifted after he did. Maybe i'll get to race another shortly. But i have killed quite a few cars. G35 i took on stock. anyways. You can think it's bullshit all you want. Laters.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rallyyellow06
Want to do your research?

A STOCK 07 STI has 296 hp. Then you loose what is it? 20% at most through the drive train.

220 whp would be a hell of a loss in the drivetrain, I think your talking WRX or some other car.

STI's are mean as ****. Even the WRX's (and yes I just traded my balt for a WRX)

I haven't played with any balts yet, but I will once we get this 10 inches of snow melted
You may own a WRX, but that doesn't mean that you know more about them then me. Stock '07 Sti is advertised as 293hp. All wheel drive is so parasitic that you can lose 25-35% depending on dyno's. A WRX only puts down about 160-170hp to the wheels stock. The Sti puts down 215-230hp to the wheels stock. Of course these numbers will vary from dyno to dyno, but these are from my experience.

If you put a 3.0" turbo back, good intake, and get a reflash, then you can pick up another 65whp on the Sti, and similar mods will net you about 45whp on a WRX.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by MLeclair
I actually raced a STI about a month ago before i went stage 2, i only had cold air intake. But the car took me off the line by about 1/4 of a car not much, i have a pretty good start with my balt. After that the STI was inching back and furth scaring the hell out of me thinking it was going to launch away from me any second while pulling and falling back at the same time, but i managed to pull away from it or he just stopped giving it hell at about 110kmph. Which my car was about a bumper or 2 ahead of the STI. I also had my 100 pound girlfriend in my car. I took out the spare tire too droping like 10 pounds hah. And the guy was alone, he later then passed me with a thumbs up. Then i comfirmed it was actually a STI. Best race so far. Can't wait for the snow to clear then i'll see how my Stage 2 does. Wooo. I'm surprized you got raped soo badly. No one at my work believes me. Sept for my lancer buddy who watched me do it when we go on our drives around town. Anyways lemme know what u think guys.
when it was over did you tell him that he had a banana stuck in his tailpipe?
Old 02-14-2007, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Psykostevo
You may own a WRX, but that doesn't mean that you know more about them then me. Stock '07 Sti is advertised as 293hp. All wheel drive is so parasitic that you can lose 25-35% depending on dyno's. A WRX only puts down about 160-170hp to the wheels stock. The Sti puts down 215-230hp to the wheels stock. Of course these numbers will vary from dyno to dyno, but these are from my experience.

If you put a 3.0" turbo back, good intake, and get a reflash, then you can pick up another 65whp on the Sti, and similar mods will net you about 45whp on a WRX.

The new wrx puts down around 200 whp... that 160-170 whp is for previous versions 2002-2005... Going from a 2002 to a 2006... I know there is a pretty decent difference... torque also jumps up to 234 at the wheels... these were actually measured by Cobb Tuning... a pretty decent subaru aftermarket dealer if you ask me. The newer wrx's are a lot better imo.

STI's on the other hand put down around 240 whp... I believe this is the newest one... but they really haven't changed the STI that much since it has came out... horsepower wise. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:47 AM

I had a buddy with an 05 wrx and with minor mods he was faster then most the sti's (even the modded ones) at the track. They are not that much a step down from the sti. All those cars are damn fast though. They give my car a run for its money and that says a bit.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by rex030
The new wrx puts down around 200 whp... that 160-170 whp is for previous versions 2002-2005... Going from a 2002 to a 2006... I know there is a pretty decent difference... torque also jumps up to 234 at the wheels... these were actually measured by Cobb Tuning... a pretty decent subaru aftermarket dealer if you ask me. The newer wrx's are a lot better imo.

STI's on the other hand put down around 240 whp... I believe this is the newest one... but they really haven't changed the STI that much since it has came out... horsepower wise. Just my 2 cents.
Yeah, I agree the '06+ WRX is a huge improvement over the previous 3 years. Most of that extra whp no doubt comes from the use of the 2.5L. I was using the 2.0L for my WRX example, like the one that our buddy who had the yellow cobalt now has.

I haven't yet seen a stock Sti put down 240 on a dyno, but I know it is possible, depending on the car's actualy output, and the calibration of the dyno.

And I agree that Cobb is a great company, with lots of knowledge. It is hard to beat some of their technologies.

There is a huge difference between earlier years of WRX and Sti's. Now with the use of the same displacement, I can see that gap closing. The Sti's biggest and best feature is it's transmission. IMO that is what really sets the Sti apart, more than the HP. From Having a 300hp WRX, and a Stock Sti, I can tell you that even thought they have the same whp, it is redicuous how much of a difference the gearing on the Sti makes.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:05 PM

Yeah, I agree the '06+ WRX is a huge improvement over the previous 3 years. Most of that extra whp no doubt comes from the use of the 2.5L. I was using the 2.0L for my WRX example, like the one that our buddy who had the yellow cobalt now has.

I haven't yet seen a stock Sti put down 240 on a dyno, but I know it is possible, depending on the car's actualy output, and the calibration of the dyno.

And I agree that Cobb is a great company, with lots of knowledge. It is hard to beat some of their technologies.

There is a huge difference between earlier years of WRX and Sti's. Now with the use of the same displacement, I can see that gap closing. The Sti's biggest and best feature is it's transmission. IMO that is what really sets the Sti apart, more than the HP. From Having a 300hp WRX, and a Stock Sti, I can tell you that even thought they have the same whp, it is redicuous how much of a difference the gearing on the Sti makes.

I agree with you completely... I looked on Cobb's website and their baseline for the STI before stage 1 says somewhere around 238 or so... thats where I got around 240... could be some discrepencies... but Cobb is usually pretty good with their numbers...

I also definately agree with the STI transmission being the key difference between the two.... I was gonna buy the STI but then decided that I wanted to buy a house... although I have since changed my mind on the house idea. It was either a brand new 06 or a used 04-05 STI... and I wanted a nice warranty... I am very pleased with my 06 WRX though...

Another thing I like about the STI is the DCCD... ability to change the AWD setup. That would be nice to have... I could always trade my car in now... but I think I'm gonna stay with it... insurance is cheaper... and I'm going to go Stage 2 soon which should be comparable numbers with the STI... although it will have more torque than a stock STI. Someday I will probably break down and get an STI... I am kind of excited to see what the new redesign in the next year or two will look like... and what performance changes they make...

I am curious to see how my new wrx would do against a SS... I played around with one in my old town a few times when I had my 03... and he would usually get me from a roll... but I would have him off the line... now with the changes... I can hang around with an srt for longer... so I am curious... anyone have any run-ins? Cobalts as well as the new 06 wrx are both underrated cars in my opinion... almost bought an SS but I live in snow central Erie, PA now... so I NEED the awd... nice cars though!
Old 02-14-2007, 12:31 PM

I agree with you completely... I looked on Cobb's website and their baseline for the STI before stage 1 says somewhere around 238 or so... thats where I got around 240... could be some discrepencies... but Cobb is usually pretty good with their numbers...

I also definately agree with the STI transmission being the key difference between the two.... I was gonna buy the STI but then decided that I wanted to buy a house... although I have since changed my mind on the house idea. It was either a brand new 06 or a used 04-05 STI... and I wanted a nice warranty... I am very pleased with my 06 WRX though...

Another thing I like about the STI is the DCCD... ability to change the AWD setup. That would be nice to have... I could always trade my car in now... but I think I'm gonna stay with it... insurance is cheaper... and I'm going to go Stage 2 soon which should be comparable numbers with the STI... although it will have more torque than a stock STI. Someday I will probably break down and get an STI... I am kind of excited to see what the new redesign in the next year or two will look like... and what performance changes they make...

I am curious to see how my new wrx would do against a SS... I played around with one in my old town a few times when I had my 03... and he would usually get me from a roll... but I would have him off the line... now with the changes... I can hang around with an srt for longer... so I am curious... anyone have any run-ins? Cobalts as well as the new 06 wrx are both underrated cars in my opinion... almost bought an SS but I live in snow central Erie, PA now... so I NEED the awd... nice cars though!
My buddy ha an '04 WRX, and an '04 Sti, and my girlfriend had an '06 before she too got a cobalt SS/SC (What a girl)

The DCCD is cool, and mostly helps with snow and Ice, out here in AZ you just leave it on Auto most of the time.

I whooped my buddies '04 WRX with 300hp so bad, that's why he bought the Sti. He could not beat my SS with his WRX no matter how hard he tried. When he got the Sti, he could beat me, because I was stage 3, but now that I am stage 4, he has me off the line (DUH!) and I get back even with him around 50mph, and pull a car on him each gear after that. He wishes he could afford more mods for the Sti right now to beat me again, but right now we are both tight on money, so I'll stay faster until he gets his Stage 2-3 :-)
Old 02-14-2007, 01:06 PM

My buddy ha an '04 WRX, and an '04 Sti, and my girlfriend had an '06 before she too got a cobalt SS/SC (What a girl)

The DCCD is cool, and mostly helps with snow and Ice, out here in AZ you just leave it on Auto most of the time.

I whooped my buddies '04 WRX with 300hp so bad, that's why he bought the Sti. He could not beat my SS with his WRX no matter how hard he tried. When he got the Sti, he could beat me, because I was stage 3, but now that I am stage 4, he has me off the line (DUH!) and I get back even with him around 50mph, and pull a car on him each gear after that. He wishes he could afford more mods for the Sti right now to beat me again, but right now we are both tight on money, so I'll stay faster until he gets his Stage 2-3 :-)

Thats awesome! Stage 4!! Wow... thats crazy... sucks you are the whole way across the country or I would want a ride!! Sweet man... glad to see that there is love for subies too... haha... take care man!!
Old 02-14-2007, 01:23 PM

Thats awesome! Stage 4!! Wow... thats crazy... sucks you are the whole way across the country or I would want a ride!! Sweet man... glad to see that there is love for subies too... haha... take care man!!
Yeah, I am at Stage 4 right now until I get my dualpass on in the next 2 weeks, and I am getting my injectors refurbished, and then I am going Stage 5+

I am currently working on another Cobalt for a buddy named Gilbert, that one has a full prep race motor at 450hp (untested) Stage 2 Cams, Ported and Polished heads, stainless valves, Double Valve Springs, 10.5:1 Forged Pistons and rods, Cometic Head Gasket (Roughly a 11.0:1 compression ratio, ARP Head Studs, Ported and machined supercharger, 2.6" pulley, Dual pass, Cobra heat Exchanger, Stage 2 Methanol Injection, 60# injectors, and my custom tuning. NOW THAT'S A COBALT! And best of all, you can't see the mods except pulley, and he still has stock intake! LOL what a sand bagging sleeper!
Old 02-14-2007, 02:03 PM
Banned

I am so glad I bought my GTO so the only STi I need to worry about is a well modded one.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by codyss
I am so glad I bought my GTO so the only STi I need to worry about is a well modded one.

A stock STI will keep up if not beat a GTO 9 times out of 10. And easily a stage 2 STI is out of your league.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:26 PM

geeze cody, you used to be a troll when you owned a cobalt preaching about it on other non-balt forums. now you're a gto troll preaching about it on balt forums. talk about jumping on the bandwagon. you're such a lemming.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Banned

More like 220whp stock.
What the hell are you smoking because I want some...
Old 02-14-2007, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by glockglade
What the hell are you smoking because I want some...
We use a Dynodynamics, which represents a 35% power loss on an AWD.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:09 PM

Be glad you have an LS2 GTO, the older Goats are slow(when unmodded). I only worry about well modded Goats myself
Old 02-14-2007, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by evolve
Be glad you have an LS2 GTO, the older Goats are slow(when unmodded). I only worry about well modded Goats myself
The older goats also had a POS rear end that broke a lot too.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:12 PM

The older goats also had a POS rear end that broke a lot too.
lolz
Old 02-15-2007, 08:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2006CGM

A stock STI will keep up if not beat a GTO 9 times out of 10. And easily a stage 2 STI is out of your league.

Umm, No it won't, you got your numbers backwards. I won't even bring up what happens from a roll.

And sorry nanaki you really need to get over the fact that I told 99-04 GT owners a SS/SC could keep up with them. And like others on this forum I traded up to a GTO, at least I owned a SS/SC you how ever never have.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:50 AM

oh, i'm over it. i just think it's funny how you used to preach the cobalt everywhere but now you're ******* it since you bought a gto. you act like you never even owned one sometimes. and if you do, you act as though it was the biggest mistake you ever made, but back when you actually did own it, it was the best thing since sliced bread. go jump off a cliff you damn lemming. everyone else is doing it!

didn't know it was required to own a specific car to be on a forum.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:53 AM
Banned

There is a big difference between preaching and eliminating BS which I was doing on that neato Mustang forum.

I have neve made it sound like I wish I never owned a SS/SC but I won't act like it will hang with my GTO either because it won't.

Hell I didn't even by my GTO because I wanted one but the Mustang GT is a joke I don't drive Dodge's and the only other GM offering was a $72,000 Z06.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:22 AM

Umm, No it won't, you got your numbers backwards. I won't even bring up what happens from a roll.

And sorry nanaki you really need to get over the fact that I told 99-04 GT owners a SS/SC could keep up with them. And like others on this forum I traded up to a GTO, at least I owned a SS/SC you how ever never have.

I have seen quite a few times that an STI has beaten a GTO... why does everyone talk about roll racing all the time... how many professional races start from a roll?? Oh wait... nascar does... hahahahaha but that doesnt count as a sport!!!

Just playin!! But I have seen STI's beat GTO's before... don't get me wrong... GTO's are fast... I do agree... but its still a good race... I like them both!!
Old 02-15-2007, 11:35 AM
Banned

A well driven STi will beat almost anything off the line even a GTO, the LS2 will easily reel the STi in.

It was the same thing in my 2002 Camaro SS, STi's and EVO's would get me by a car or so off the launch, then I would just go cruising by 5 seconds later. After spending $300 on drag radials that all changed.

And the only reason I bring up STi vs GTO from a roll is that the GTO will have 2-3 cars on an STi two seconds after the race starts.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:12 PM

Stock for stock, the GTO 'CAN' beat an Sti.

Case in point; A friend has an 05 STi stock, and he was talking about how he can't keep up on a roll 85 on up, but he pulls before then. So, I'n 1/4 mile times, I'd say an STi with a great launch is a good run, but past 85 the GTO, if driven right, will overtake and pull away.

As for drivetrain loss, I'll see if I can't find documented losses on STi's.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by AWDsedanKit
Stock for stock, the GTO 'CAN' beat an Sti.

Case in point; A friend has an 05 STi stock, and he was talking about how he can't keep up on a roll 85 on up, but he pulls before then. So, I'n 1/4 mile times, I'd say an STi with a great launch is a good run, but past 85 the GTO, if driven right, will overtake and pull away.

As for drivetrain loss, I'll see if I can't find documented losses on STi's.
Most awd subaru drivetrain losses seem to be around 20-30 percent... they are pretty high... I know the GTO is crazy on top end... but I was just saying... in the 1/4... which seems to be the standard for most comparisons... its a pretty good race...

Quick Reply: STI From a dig....