War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

stock SS/TC vs 2012 300C V8 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock SS/TC vs 2012 300C V8 AWD

So I've owned my ss/tc for a matter of 4 hours now. just so happens that I saw one of the new chrysler 300 come down the on ramp with some middle age man test driving it and he was literally flying down the ramp onto the highway. So i decided now that I have a car thats competitive why not give it a shot and catch up. so i did. His car still had the window sticker on and the dealer plates. There was a little lull in traffic so I was up tight behind him but then we both had 3 full lanes of open-ness. He didnt wait to do a level honk-off. he more or less just took off when he saw the opening in traffic and I was right behind him. I managed to get level with his front bumper before I had to slow down for traffic ahead (~115mph)....

mother of god what have I been missing the last few years. The SS is a freaking blast to drive, and the typical look on the guys face seeing it was a cobalt was funny

anyways I know its not much of a story, but none-the-less I'm impressed. you guys werent joking when you said the SS can hold its own. I wont classify this as a kill even though I was gaining on him. I'm sure I have some polishing up to do on my driving skills as I am not 100% on them yet cuz the feel is a little different from my manual trans on the 2.2. Still cant believe I did this after owning the car a massive 1.5 hours at the time of the "race". Either way, I'm ready for round 2!

Last edited by padlock; 04-09-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:15 PM

yea man that first time i ran something that would **** on my last car, AND WAS EVEN WITH IT in the SS!! .................i came!
Old 04-09-2012, 07:28 PM

BTW i have never had a honk off with a SRT8 300C, they jus like to jet on people all casual (literally) haha!
got a catless DP and it opened up my top end a little on my GMS1 now they get to see my backfire or soot build-up cloud (lol) when i NLS passing them.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
congrats welcome to the club man and you should leave it stock for a while at least it is an absolute blast to rape a mustang gt 350z an older charger or ss camaro then tell them its stock and watch em squirm most people dont believe it could be that quick stock ive even been called a liar to my face by a guy wearing giant white glasses driven an 03 mustang gt anyways have fun but be carefull with her were losin them pretty fast
Old 04-09-2012, 07:30 PM

I hate to say this but I'm rightfully scared to NLS... it seems soo wrong to do while driving as I'm so use to the 2.2 yet.. I have yet to attempt it
Old 04-09-2012, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by LNFTX
congrats welcome to the club man and you should leave it stock for a while at least it is an absolute blast to rape a mustang gt 350z an older charger or ss camaro then tell them its stock and watch em squirm most people dont believe it could be that quick stock ive even been called a liar to my face by a guy wearing giant white glasses driven an 03 mustang gt anyways have fun but be carefull with her were losin them pretty fast
yea its staying stock (or very very close to it) until next september at least. thats when my powertrain warranty is up and I'd just assume save my money until then anyways. N yea I was basically babying it the rest of my trip. I just had to let her snap once to see what she had, now I want to see what kind of MPG I can get. hoping to see low-30s (but its been really gusty out lately n i did this on the current tank so probably not this tank) lol
Old 04-09-2012, 08:45 PM

yeah it really doesnt feel right doin the nls at first it really goes against your instinct i actually failed and let off the gas the first couple times but you just gotta do it a few times and it will be more natural and youll trust that it wont break at this point im worried about hopin in my friends camaro or my uncles mustang and trying to nls that would be a bad day but i would recomend not nls 1-2 its pretty damn violent and on the track the only time ive ever had wheel hop in this car was a 1-2 nls
Old 04-09-2012, 08:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't believe you made a thread about this already lol. Oh and when you texted me, you said it was a kill so I come on here and read this and i'm all

Originally Posted by padlock
I hate to say this but I'm rightfully scared to NLS... it seems soo wrong to do while driving as I'm so use to the 2.2 yet.. I have yet to attempt it
Do it haha. I've only done 2-3 and 3-4 and once you get it right it feels like you didn't even shift.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AaronJ
I can't believe you made a thread about this already lol. Oh and when you texted me, you said it was a kill so I come on here and read this and i'm all

Do it haha. I've only done 2-3 and 3-4 and once you get it right it feels like you didn't even shift.
i'd classify this as a kill if the guy in the hemi took off and he managed to catch up and he got the wtf look.. lol
Old 04-09-2012, 09:15 PM

Now get tuned for e85 and have some fun, lol. And the first time i successfully NLS'ed it was amazing.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As long as your car is stock, you can NLS without issues as long as you do it properly. In this Car and Driver article, it says GM engineers performed roughly 600 launch control and NLS maneuvers to make sure everything would hold up. You can check it out here: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS - First Drive Review - Car Reviews - Car and Driver
Old 04-09-2012, 09:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Boosted4
As long as your car is stock, you can NLS without issues as long as you do it properly. In this Car and Driver article, it says GM engineers performed roughly 600 launch control and NLS maneuvers to make sure everything would hold up. You can check it out here: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS - First Drive Review - Car Reviews - Car and Driver
i do it on GMS1 all the time... just a thought too.. maybe that's why the tunes power drops off close to redline? so there isn't a tonne of strain on the drivetrain when performing a NLS?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gobolt210
BTW i have never had a honk off with a SRT8 300C, they jus like to jet on people all casual (literally) haha!
got a catless DP and it opened up my top end a little on my GMS1 now they get to see my backfire or soot build-up cloud (lol) when i NLS passing them.
i love this. BTW SRT8's are slugs. i worked for a chrysler dealer and i was not impressed, but that was the 07 one.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Daddy
i do it on GMS1 all the time... just a thought too.. maybe that's why the tunes power drops off close to redline? so there isn't a tonne of strain on the drivetrain when performing a NLS?
Well of course it's ok to do it on GMS1, it's a factory developed upgrade and retains 100% of the warranty. I didn't explicitly type that because I thought it was understood. I forgot he was a new LNF fella
Old 04-09-2012, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Daddy
i'd classify this as a kill if the guy in the hemi took off and he managed to catch up and he got the wtf look.. lol
my thoughts exactly.. but i never really got ahead so I avoid the flamers n said I didnt get the kill
Old 04-09-2012, 09:42 PM

n damn right I made a thread about this.. It was exciting. I'm finally a competitor on the road to vehicles other than hondas!!

n yea once I get more comfortable with the gearing I'll attempt the NLS. for now I want to get the hang of exactly where the clutch starts to grab n where the gears are sitting at (as its all a hair bit different from the LT, not much but enough to throw me off a bit). I was going to attempt a NLS with the salesmen in the car, but he was holding on tight enough with me taking it to redline in 2nd gear the way it was. poor old guy
Old 04-09-2012, 09:47 PM

btw you cant NLS 4 to 5. ive tried, when going for top out on GMS1,
Old 04-09-2012, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by BlackLsCoupe
You seriously have no business even attempting to NLS 4-5 anyway
Old 04-09-2012, 09:55 PM

you def can if your stock ive done it several times

You seriously have no business even attempting to NLS 4-5 anyway
why?

Last edited by LNFTX; 04-09-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-09-2012, 10:05 PM

Bahahaha why would you try? The throw from 4 to 5 seems so long to me. I feel like I granny shift real bad whenever I try to shift quickly to 5th just because the throw is so far.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:11 PM

this reminds me aaron.. I want to see how your TWM feels when we meet up next. Its quite the chunk of change to cough up, but I know I loved the one in my LT.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:11 PM

Bahahaha why would you try? The throw from 4 to 5 seems so long to me. I feel like I granny shift real bad whenever I try to shift quickly to 5th just because the throw is so far.
This. Too great of a risk of shifting improperly IMO
Old 04-09-2012, 10:17 PM

this reminds me aaron.. I want to see how your TWM feels when we meet up next. Its quite the chunk of change to cough up, but I know I loved the one in my LT.
For sure. I picked mine up when they had the three 10% coupons for the forum only, but I haven't seen them do that in a while. I've only got the aluminum abrahms knob but I have the shifter bushings. The throw is so short and firm haha I love it. Just a flick of the wrist and I've shifted gears
Old 04-09-2012, 10:21 PM

For sure. I picked mine up when they had the three 10% coupons for the forum only, but I haven't seen them do that in a while. I've only got the aluminum abrahms knob but I have the shifter bushings. The throw is so short and firm haha I love it. Just a flick of the wrist and I've shifted gears
yea. thats how it was on my LT. then I put the stock shifter back in before I sold it and it felt like I was driving a goddamn semi the shift was so long the shift lenth in the SS isnt nearly as bad in comparison so its decent to deal with and maybe not something to worry about as a first mod (but eventually yes)

I think the first mod I'm actually going to do minus the simple cosmetic fixes will be a rear sway bar (even though its going to be a while before I have the money to do so).. not sure what I want to get though.. its between the hardcore powell bar and TTR's bar (that of which I would wait for a sale).
Old 04-10-2012, 12:34 AM

This. Too great of a risk of shifting improperly IMO
aside from the fact that your goin like 130 i dont see the problem yes its a little longer than the 2-3 but you have a full second to complete the nls thats plenty of time

op like the sig change missed the sedan part thats awesome you need to paint powder or plasti them wheels black looks good on red and are you swappin in them badass headlights

Quick Reply: stock SS/TC vs 2012 300C V8 AWD