War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

TC Gets trash talked by an 05 Celica

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FutureEcotecOwner
It's a 1.8L N/A engine, what the hell do you expect if you own a FI 4 cylinder? Like I posted in my last post, I've seen a few hit 13's with basic bolt ons and a tune, and that is N/A out of a 1.8L engine.
thats a million times better then what 2.4 N/A's can acomplish
Old 07-02-2009, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Projekt
thats a million times better then what 2.4 N/A's can acomplish
True, but the only reason is because of their high profile cam, just like with Honda's V-tec. The GTS has the VVTL-i, which is Toyota's version of V-tec. The make great HP for such a small engine, but just like with every Honda, they dont make **** for torque. Either way, having almost 200whp out of a 1.8L engine N/A and only weighing 2500lbs or so, the car is gonna move.

And I honestly think if the market was there for alot of 2.4 Cobalt's, I believe there would be alot of 200+whp N/A Cobalts out there. They actually make good power with almost the same torque, and I'm sure you could easily reach 200whp N/A with full bolt ons and aftermarket cams/head.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What do they make boosted? A local guy is running a GT30R on his final-gen GTS with all the supporting goodies. He claims 400whp but I think that's a tad optimistic.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:14 PM

They are not over 1,000lbs less than our cars, they weigh around 2500 and our cars weigh around what, 3000 or so? I've seen some with intake, full exhaust, lightweight flywheel and tune put down 180-190whp, and with just those mods right there I've seen them run 13's. There are turbo ones running 11's and a few in the 10's.
HOW MANY TURBO CELICAS ARE RUNNING 10s-11s???????
Old 07-03-2009, 11:42 AM

Most can't even run boost without building the motor, otherwise it explodes, compression is too high to start with
Old 07-03-2009, 11:47 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
yes heavy boosted gts have built motors, go check out Monkey Wrench Racing. They have a gts putting down 560whp+
Old 07-03-2009, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by evolve
HOW MANY TURBO CELICAS ARE RUNNING 10s-11s???????
Just like "northvibe" stated, Monkey Wrench Racing has 2 Celica GTS' running 10's and 11's and a newer MR2 running 10's.

Originally Posted by northvibe
yes heavy boosted gts have built motors, go check out Monkey Wrench Racing. They have a gts putting down 560whp+
I believe the GTS they have running mid 11's on boost still has the stock motor. But the one they have running 10's is built.

Last edited by FutureEcotecOwner; 07-03-2009 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-03-2009, 12:45 PM

Just like "northvibe" stated, Monkey Wrench Racing has 2 Celica GTS' running 10's and 11's and a newer MR2 running 10's.

I believe the GTS they have running mid 11's on boost still has the stock motor. But the one they have running 10's is built.
yeah I remember they had a lotus or celica 2zz and 1zz they were pushing as far as they could on stock internals. but that was over 2 years ago when I heard that, hell probably 3. So I dont know what they have now as they only list their 10.9 second built gts :/
Old 07-03-2009, 05:54 PM

haha, nice kill. Always fun to pull on people who are butt hurt easily
Old 07-03-2009, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by 1BADSS/SC
haha, nice kill. Always fun to pull on people who are butt hurt easily
Exactly. The funny part is people dont know what MWR did to make their flagship Celica a 10 second car. Ive followed it and theyve done an AWD conversion, built motor(more than one btw), and more than one turbo to make the combination they have now. Its taken ALOT of $$$ to make that car what it is now. Now heres the kicker: How many 10 second Celicas are rolling around YOUR local scene? Ok, lets try this: How many 11 second Celicas are rolling around your scene? I can count the number on less than a hand. Now before I get the axe, let me say that I appreciate a well put together car, even a celica. Hell, my best friend has a gt28rs in his GTS. I just think that if Toyota wanted a "performance" car, they would have kept the Supra around or even the All Trak Celica.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:09 PM

Here is the mods list for the 10 second GTS -

MWR built race 2ZZ engine MWR custom GT35R turbo system MWR ultimate 4-puck clutch Quaife LSD AEM EMS 26" slicks 105 octane 2400lbs vehicle weight (empty)

Here is the mods list for the 11 second GTS -

Stock 2ZZ engine MWR turbo system with GT3071R Tial Wastegate GReddy Type RS BOV Apexi Power FC Quaife LSD RPS Max Street clutch

These are the lists that are posted on newcelica.org's website.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by evolve
Exactly. The funny part is people dont know what MWR did to make their flagship Celica a 10 second car. Ive followed it and theyve done an AWD conversion, built motor(more than one btw), and more than one turbo to make the combination they have now. Its taken ALOT of $$$ to make that car what it is now. Now heres the kicker: How many 10 second Celicas are rolling around YOUR local scene? Ok, lets try this: How many 11 second Celicas are rolling around your scene? I can count the number on less than a hand. Now before I get the axe, let me say that I appreciate a well put together car, even a celica. Hell, my best friend has a gt28rs in his GTS. I just think that if Toyota wanted a "performance" car, they would have kept the Supra around or even the All Trak Celica.
the celica is a crap platform just like most cars. The way I look at it is this:

If u need to:

a) completely rebuild the car
b) put a different engine in it because the factory one is weak sauce garbage
c) drop in a different tranny
d) change the wheel drive
e) spend more than 10k to make fast
f) all of the above

its a garbage platform that shouldnt and wasnt designed to be modded.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:25 PM

Hate punks like that! I had a guy yesterday in a chevrolet equinox sport just kept tryin to race me and each time I would just pull bus legnths on him, but he kept on until we come to where im turning off. Were stopped at the light and I look over and the guys like What choo lookin at? I was like a sore loser in and ugly as car or what ever you call one of those! Stupid **** then floors it at a delayed green and nearly takes out two other cars.

I totally agree with 1BADSS\SC complete **** platform.

Last edited by eastcoastz; 07-03-2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-03-2009, 10:51 PM

the celica is a crap platform just like most cars. The way I look at it is this:

If u need to:

a) completely rebuild the car
b) put a different engine in it because the factory one is weak sauce garbage
c) drop in a different tranny
d) change the wheel drive
e) spend more than 10k to make fast
f) all of the above

its a garbage platform that shouldnt and wasnt designed to be modded.
agreed man. good point!
Old 07-04-2009, 10:56 AM

I dont agree with that "platform" at all. Reason being is I can go buy a used xxx car for 3k and drop less than 10k into it and beat every car on this website, go 9's all day long and still drive it on the street, all for under 13k, which is cheaper than what 99% of the people on here paid for their SS/SC and SS/TC.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:23 AM

I dont agree with that "platform" at all. Reason being is I can go buy a used xxx car for 3k and drop less than 10k into it and beat every car on this website, go 9's all day long and still drive it on the street, all for under 13k, which is cheaper than what 99% of the people on here paid for their SS/SC and SS/TC.
And as I said, u have to rebuild the entire car to make it that way. Its garbage. Might as well buy a NICE car that has good parts already than to cheap out and buy a piece of **** crap bucket.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:54 AM

And as I said, u have to rebuild the entire car to make it that way. Its garbage. Might as well buy a NICE car that has good parts already than to cheap out and buy a piece of **** crap bucket.
This is just an example, but I'm gonna use it. So I need to go out and buy a 25k LS2 GTO. Spend over 1k in just suspension to help wheel hop, around 3k in engine parts to make the kinda power I want, then another 1k or so on wheels and tires and still probably not go 9's? That just seems worthless and rediculous if all you want is a fast car. I paid 22k for my 05 Mustang GT a few years ago and 25k for my SS/TC last year. Not because both are go fast cars as is, but because I like them and it is what I wanted. If all I wanted was a go fast car I would have bought a 3k Fox Body Mustang, or a mid 90's LT1 Camaro and did an LS7 swap or something along those lines. If all you want is a fast car with little effort, buy a cheap used car and do whatever you want, dont go buy a 20k+ car that is almost brand new to just swap everything out. And I've seen far TOOOO many Fox Body Mustangs that look brand new that started off as a $500 4 cylinder that wouldnt run, and now they're running 9's and 10's for under 10k and still winning car shows on the weekends.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:18 PM

lol just had this happen with a newer V6 stang got next to him at a red light he launched to i took off an blew by him by middle second gear....slowed down after i pulled a couple lenghts than he trys to fly by me again so i down shifted as he was about to pass an pulled away again to make my point made sure to pull a good bus or two away and as he passed me in the turning lane he was just shakin his hands in the air saying "oooohhh wwwooooww"
Old 07-04-2009, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The next time you decide to waste your gas Pm me and I'll let you send it to me.

Nice kill, but seriously man......DUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-04-2009, 01:20 PM

This is just an example, but I'm gonna use it. So I need to go out and buy a 25k LS2 GTO. Spend over 1k in just suspension to help wheel hop, around 3k in engine parts to make the kinda power I want, then another 1k or so on wheels and tires and still probably not go 9's? That just seems worthless and rediculous if all you want is a fast car. I paid 22k for my 05 Mustang GT a few years ago and 25k for my SS/TC last year. Not because both are go fast cars as is, but because I like them and it is what I wanted. If all I wanted was a go fast car I would have bought a 3k Fox Body Mustang, or a mid 90's LT1 Camaro and did an LS7 swap or something along those lines. If all you want is a fast car with little effort, buy a cheap used car and do whatever you want, dont go buy a 20k+ car that is almost brand new to just swap everything out. And I've seen far TOOOO many Fox Body Mustangs that look brand new that started off as a $500 4 cylinder that wouldnt run, and now they're running 9's and 10's for under 10k and still winning car shows on the weekends.
Theyre still not good platforms. Might as well buy a shell and drop an engine into it. Thats what ur doing. Why not take a go-cart and put an LS7 on it? That would be even cheaper, right? Hell, why not drop a hemi in ur lawnmower, and go around saying:" I spent 2k on this lawnmower and its the FASTEST EVAR!"

Its garbage, all of it. Rice is rice. No one would even think about giving you what u wanted for those cars vs what u SPENT ON THEM. Thats because theyre not even the same car anymore.

I will give u an example of good platforms:

EVO
SRT4
Corvette
Terminator
GT500
Camaro SS
WS6

with very little work, u can KEEP THE SAME ENGINE ( wowie! ), and make retarded fast without losing majorly on resale and having to rebuild much. And theyre all nice cars for the money.

If u want a project car, why not build a full on dragster? I like the idea of having a car that runs 10's with OEM parts in it. The durability of those OEM parts is just a testament to the cars true quality.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:29 PM

thank gawd you didnt list a dsm hahha

I agree that a good platform would be not needing a big engine upgrade. hell that means the CSS is one then as you dont need to do internals to bump it up over 350hp. But anyway having a car you fully built is fun even if it costs money its cool to have some thing no one else has. Like that time attack scion with 2 wings...its butt ugly and its a fully redone drag car turned road track...worthless waste of money but its there and getting good numbers.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:40 PM

Theyre still not good platforms. Might as well buy a shell and drop an engine into it. Thats what ur doing. Why not take a go-cart and put an LS7 on it? That would be even cheaper, right? Hell, why not drop a hemi in ur lawnmower, and go around saying:" I spent 2k on this lawnmower and its the FASTEST EVAR!"

Its garbage, all of it. Rice is rice. No one would even think about giving you what u wanted for those cars vs what u SPENT ON THEM. Thats because theyre not even the same car anymore.

I will give u an example of good platforms:

EVO
SRT4
Corvette
Terminator
GT500
Camaro SS
WS6

with very little work, u can KEEP THE SAME ENGINE ( wowie! ), and make retarded fast without losing majorly on resale and having to rebuild much. And theyre all nice cars for the money.

If u want a project car, why not build a full on dragster? I like the idea of having a car that runs 10's with OEM parts in it. The durability of those OEM parts is just a testament to the cars true quality.
I totally understand what you're saying, but to say buying a 3k Fox Body Mustang and making a sub 10 second car that is streetable for under 10k is rediculous, now that is crazy. All of the platforms you mentioned are great, but brand new of those would look like this:

EVO - 35k
SRT4 - 22k
Corvette - depending on model, 45k-105k
Terminator - 35k
GT500 - 55k
Camaro SS - 30k
WS6 - 30k

Those are brand new prices, and of course you can buy each one of those used for about half of what they were new with the exception of the Vette and GT500. You seriously need some education on some of the fastest streetable Mustangs, because 90% of them were bought used for under 5k and turned into MONSTERS!!
Old 07-04-2009, 02:44 PM

i raced a riced out one at the track last nite, big body kit, big wing, big rims, no badges so not sure what model. But i missed third gear and still beat him by over half a second
Old 07-04-2009, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by _UnLiMiTeD_
i raced a riced out one at the track last nite, big body kit, big wing, big rims, no badges so not sure what model. But i missed third gear and still beat him by over half a second
what did you race?
Old 07-04-2009, 08:08 PM

Raced one in my Cobalt SS/NA

Quick Reply: TC Gets trash talked by an 05 Celica