Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Wheels and Tires (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/wheels-tires-96/)
-   -   Enkei News (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/wheels-tires-96/enkei-news-189272/)

buellfooll 09-20-2009 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by SilverSS/SC (Post 4315130)
Alot of the cars using the RPF1 already come with brembo calipers( evo , sti , 350z ect. ) larger than the SS cobalt version , so the answer to that would almost assuredly be yes so long as u stuck with a proper 38-40 mm offset on a 8" rim . And it is that easy , they have drilled the RPF1's for the 5x110 for various show cars from GM to the aftermarket . They start with the 5x114 pattern wheel to insert the 110 . A old vendor on here named street-graffiti hade a set drilled in the SBC finish , it was a show car for Alpine in the 06 Sema show . The particular 5x114 wheel they used was for a scooby STI . King is the one that handled having it done .

I just searched for "street graffiti" to no avail. Maybe they're not around any more for the following reason. I checked with 2 automotive machine shops about drilling and using inserts. One flat refused due to product liability issues. The other told me to bring a legal release from a lawyer and he would consider it. A 110 center is pretty close to a 4.5 (4.33) which can be drilled and plugged at some expense. If it was that easy I'm SURE somebody would have done it and bragged all over the forum about it. And IF, after spending $1200 on a set of wheels, you REALLY want a plugged wheel. King also mentioned changing the hubs to whatever was used on the SCCA series a while back. I also looked into that and found it was cost prohibitive, unless you were going full time racing. So I accepted his final suggestion to just get as many people as possible to show some interest in a 5X110 application suitable for use over Brembos, sit back, be patient and wait for a wheel that fits out of the box. That's the option I'm going for.

steddy2112 09-20-2009 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by buellfooll (Post 4313278)
Whatever floats your boats. I want 17", 17# wheels that I can afford. If I get them I'll be happy. If not I'm not just going to roll over and die. I'm going to continue to ask the manufacturers to make a wheel for MY car. If/when they do and If I like what I see I'll buy it. Till then have a nice day. But when that wheel does become available I'll be the only one around with them on my car because I'm not going to bore anyone on this forum with something new.

My final post on this subject. I'm tired of talking to people with closed minds.

Cheap light wheels are going to be cast.

Cheap light wheels that are going to be cast are gonna break.

I would buy anything less than low-pressure cast/shot peened.

spike 09-20-2009 02:46 PM

i think these wheels would have great interest if people knew more about sizing and had a pic to go from. But i fell if its as good as the RPF1 and is made in a wide width I would love it as will most. The main key in my mind is lite and wide(18x8-18x8.5-18x9)or(17x8-17x8.5-17x9) with like a 35mm-ish offset.

SilverSS/SC 09-20-2009 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by buellfooll (Post 4315184)
sit back, be patient and wait for a wheel that fits out of the box. That's the option I'm going for.

With the exception of OZ and a couple Tenzo's and if u wanna shell out baller cash for Fikse's , I-forged or HRE's , were going on 5 years now of patience :D:D:D:D This bolt pattern is really just a GM epic fail .

007CobaltLS 09-20-2009 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by buellfooll (Post 4314930)
Thank you Kildore. Things sure were easier "back in the day". You had your choice of steel wheels or Cragers. What will it take to make these young guns understand?

NOBODY knows what the new wheel looks like except the designers. It hasn't been released for sale yet. As mentioned above they're probably waiting for the SEMA show. HELL! We aren't even sure it's going to be made for us. But it's worth a phone call if it will help. The RPF1 wheel has been around for a while. Maybe they COULD just drill the wheel to our pattern. But would it clear our Brembos in it's present configuration? I doubt it. If it was that easy, if all it needed was five new holes, I'm sure they would have done it already. They need a TEMPLATE to make a wheel. A TEMPLATE is a gauge or guide made to the dimensions and shape needed to design something mechanical. It doesn't have to be a physical thing. It can be a drawing. They didn't see a need in the past so they didn't waste the effort. Due to the INTEREST shown recently they HAVE MADE A TEMPLATE FOR OUR WHEEL. This should indicate to a THINKING mind they might be interested in PRODUCING a wheel from it. But only if they can justify the expense of creating a whole new wheel. Not Rube Goldberging a wheel that's already in production. That's not Enkei's style. They do it right or not at all. To justify the expense, somebody has to WANT the wheel. ANY wheel. They don't need orders up front. If enough interest is shown in an APPLICATION they will make a wheel for that APPLICATION. They will use their experience and wisdom to design a wheel that they hope will be what the people want. IF they are successful people will buy the wheel which will prove the interest is there for that APPLICATION and as new designs are released maybe they will include our APPLICATION for that wheel. To redesign an EXISTING wheel to fit would be more expensive than designing a totally new wheel. All this is not to say we are going to see a whole new line of wheels for the TC, but in the future we will have more influence on applications. To put it simply. If it wasn't for the older guys, like kildore and me, you young guns might never have seen a lot of the choices you have today.

To those that have to have a picture in front of them to make any decision at all. Just imagine an RPF1 or any other wheel that puts a tilt in your kilt and make a wish.

To 007cobaltls. I've already apologized for posting on the other threads (I don't believe I was spaming but posting on threads already talking about wheels and tires). What more do I have to do to please you?

To those of you interested in how our cars are gaining interest check your channel listings. Should be very interesting. Here's the link

http://www.gmtunersource.com/index.p...-time-on-speed

Happy trails.

I apologize to you. I was having a bad day the other day (stress at home and at work). You don't have to please me, I was just releasing my anger in the wrong place and towards the wrong person.

In my opinion, it was spam on some of the threads such as the one I made since the thread was aimed at 4x100 more so than 5x110.

You are trying to help and get people together which I understand. It's just that like SilverSS/SC said...this road has been traveled down before. Yes if people keep showing interest, then maybe something will happen eventually, but it just seems to be pointless in the end every time.

In the end I blame Chevy themselves...they should've used a pattern that was more common...since they used the 4x100 on the lower end cars, perhaps the 5 lug cars should've had 5x114.3, 5x100 (although I wouldn't want the same as the Cavi), or something else more common to begin with. The thing I don't get is that you would think between all the 5x110 vehicles GM has, there would be more interest in some of these wheels.

SilverSS/SC 09-20-2009 05:08 PM

....and I really think the interest their seeking , regardless of what they say ( you can have 10 million people sign a petition or plead which is meaningless ) , is even a fraction of the amount of Subarus , hondas ect. paticipating in motorsports and national events . You have to sift thru seas of civics , scions , wrx's ect ect to maaaaaybe see a Gm car running the 5x110 offset . Thats really why you probably see FAR more tuner(street) wheels available than lightweight racing rims .

buellfooll 09-21-2009 11:29 AM

I'm beginning to feel vindicated. It's good to see there are some positive thoughts on this subject.

100% correct on the 5X110 thing. GM screwed up BIG time. In all fairness to GM, maybe they had other plans two years ago before the shit hit the fan. We'll probably never know.

As for wheel manufacturing processes. We ALL know forged is the way to go for true race wheels. I don't know about you, but my pockets do have bottoms in them. Unless you're going full time racing, some compromises must be made. For the Posers (those guys that park on Main Street on Saturday night and do nothing but "Bench Race") pure cast wheels are fine so long as the chrome isn't peeling. And for the guy that remortgages his house and cleans out his kids college fund to fund his racing addiction forged is the way to go. But for the guys in the middle, Enkei's MAT process wheels seem to be a reasonable trade off. Relatively strong, light and inexpensive. Enkei fills the bill on all accounts.

It's guaranteed that EVENTUALLY we are going to have wheels available for our cars. The question is WHEN. The longer we wait the sooner it will be. King was really impressed by the response he received from those that took the time to call or write. He seems sincere in his concerns for us. I'd like to meet the guy some day.

So now I do the wait and see thing. And hope our efforts, as small as they are, are worth something. Even if my dream doesn't come true I'll continue to ask manufacturers to make me a wheel. for the time being I have to sit on my hands to keep from ripping my cuticles off.

007CobaltSS. All's good. Thanks.

fakameanrepresent 09-21-2009 12:14 PM

^so true, so true. the longer we wait, the sooner we will all get some true lightweight wheels.

rallyracer 09-21-2009 12:22 PM

Nobody here likes the OZ Ultraleggera's?

* Twelve thin spokes
* Low pressure casting
* Snap-in carbon fiber cap
* European DTM race design
* Lightweight technology
* Center cap shown included at no charge
* 2 Year Finish Warranty
* Manufactured in Italy
* 1 Pc. Low Pressure Cast/ Shot Peened construction

18x8
Price:$348 (each)
Offset: +38mm
Backspacing: 6.06"
Bolt Pattern: 5-110
Rec. Tire Size: 225/40-18
Weight: 18.5lbs.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheel...mblk_ci3_l.jpg

buellfooll 09-21-2009 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by rallyracer (Post 4317075)
Nobody here likes the OZ Ultraleggera's?

* Twelve thin spokes
* Low pressure casting
* Snap-in carbon fiber cap
* European DTM race design
* Lightweight technology
* Center cap shown included at no charge
* 2 Year Finish Warranty
* Manufactured in Italy
* 1 Pc. Low Pressure Cast/ Shot Peened construction

18x8
Price:$348 (each)
Offset: +38mm
Backspacing: 6.06"
Bolt Pattern: 5-110
Rec. Tire Size: 225/40-18
Weight: 18.5lbs.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheel...mblk_ci3_l.jpg

Hey! I like it. If it they made it in a 17X8.5 or 9 and cost less than $400 I'd buy it.

fakameanrepresent 09-21-2009 12:53 PM

^x2 thats like only one, too many people have these. i want some more choices, like wider or more aggressive offset. +32-35 ish. 8.5 inch would be fine with me. i'm not gonna spent 1k+ on a wheels that is only 1/2 inch wider.

Kildore 09-21-2009 07:52 PM

I personally don't care if EVERY Cobalt had them. They could be neon orange... just know what i'm looking for. Looks are not an actual concern for me. I'll put them on at the track and take them off before i drive home.

Cptnsweet 09-25-2009 12:58 AM

I just bought a set of ENKEI AKP in black with chrome insert. I had a different set of ENKEI's picked out but they wouldnt clear the Brembo brakes. I just wish they made more wheels that would fit over the damn brembo brakes and that arent a racing wheel. I am going for the style & look of the wheel and personally like chrome and black since my ss/tc is black, but finding rims that are chrome and black in an 18 in the 5X110 that fits over the damn brakes almost impossible.

Kildore 10-19-2009 09:00 PM

Just spoke with King today. Also sent an email. He told me the news of the new 5x110 comming out for the cobalt. The wheel is the PF01. It is a split 5 spoke wheel. The size is 18"x8.0". He said the offset, but missed it. He did not have the weight yet, but said it was less then the RPF1. He was talking very fast and had 3 people waiting on the other lines. He said that the release will be at SEMA or right after, and did not have a price. He should be sending a pic of the actual wheel, but you should be able to find a concept online. Exciting news.. not a 17" wheel, but a good step for us 5x110 bolt patterns. All this info and the release of the Stage I kit all in the same day. A bit overwhelming!!

rallyracer 10-19-2009 10:13 PM

Enkei PF01

http://www.0-60mag.com/online/wp-con...10/pf011_1.jpg

buellfooll 10-20-2009 09:12 AM

Me want!!!!!

SSam2.4 10-20-2009 03:31 PM

Nice work

I like them and, if it weighs less than the RPf1 (18"x 7.5" =17.6 lbs & 18" x 8" = 17.8 lbs ) it will be a great mod. 18 x 8 have my:twothumbs vote.

damien 10-20-2009 04:01 PM

Those will be the wheels i buy for this car.

northvibe 10-20-2009 04:07 PM

is their pricing and weight yet?

fakameanrepresent 10-20-2009 04:54 PM

offset offset offset, i wanna know. hope its more aggressive than +38. low to low mid 30's offset would be nice.

spike 10-20-2009 09:48 PM

^^^^^+1

XTC_916 10-20-2009 09:59 PM

O.Z Ultraleggera's still look better.

SilverSSyes 10-20-2009 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by XTC_916 (Post 4393929)
O.Z Ultraleggera's still look better.

And also will most likely cost over 2x as much as these wheels will.

Cuda009 10-20-2009 10:43 PM

That wheel is hot.

northvibe 10-20-2009 11:32 PM

it looks like 80 other after market wheels.

cuda you are only saying that so no one else buys ultraleggeras ;)