Wheels and Tires All about wheels and tires. What fits, show tires, and so on

SS/TC 18" rims durability question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SS/TC 18" rims durability question

Last week, I got my rims powder coated and mounted them back on my car on Tuesday evening. Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, I did minimal driving. Just drove to work, school, and my girlfriend's house. They are all within 10 miles of each other. Saturday morning, I was going to my parent's restaurant and I noticed the car vibrating really bad. So, after I got back from my parent's restaurant, I didn't drive the car again until Monday. Yesterday I just went to work and then I went back to the wheel shop and told them the car vibrates and to check to make sure all the wheels were balanced. Well, 15 minutes goes by and one of the workers comes out into the lobby and asks if I could follow him back into the shop. Of course by now, I know this can't be good. Go figure, by some Act of God, my rim is freaking bent! Keep in mind, I have literally put ~100 miles on the wheels since I got them powder coated. I do not recall hitting a pot hole or curb. And when I go over speed bumps, I do so gently. Anyone have any idea how this could have happened? Could mounting the rim improperly cause this? I made sure to criss cross the nuts when mounting the tire back on, and then tighten them up as good as I could while the car was still jacked up. Once the car was lowered back down, I went back and checked to make sure all the nuts were tighten. The guy says it could have bent when they powder coat it, but then again, he would have noticed it last week when he put the tire back onto the rim. He even showed me what his machine said when he was trying to balance the tire and he assured me it did NOT say that last week when he mounted the tires onto the rim.

So, has anyone had any issues with their SS/TC rims? I've bent a rim before and that was right when I got my car. I know, total /facepalm moment. After that, I've been extremely careful of curbs and pot holes.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:10 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Only time I've seen an LNF wheel damaged was on a huge pothole. Did ANYONE else drive your car at all? Even to just move it?
Old 01-25-2011, 11:13 AM

dude that sucks, sorry to hear that
Old 01-25-2011, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems a little fishy, from what I've read on multiple threads the SS/TC wheels are beastmode forged aluminum , and most Aftermarket wheels are a downgrade, I'm gonna go with what Shib said
Old 01-25-2011, 11:18 AM
I'm too JDM for you

the factory ss/tc wheels are crazy strong.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:21 AM

got a quick story for you. last week i hit THEE BIGGEST pothole bc i wasnt paying attention like an idiot, i mean.. this thing was about 6 inches deep with like a foot and a half radius... i could have swore i fucked my rim up i was sooooo pissed. going on to the highway to go home my steering wheel was shaking so i was like yep F'd. got home and found out their was ice built up on the inner side of the rim causing it to off balance it, took her for a test drive and she was fine at high speeds again smooth as hell. so this meaning our rims are friggin CHAMPS! idk what could have caused your rim to bend, their prolly bull shitting you

GL with everything!
Old 01-25-2011, 11:31 AM

there is a chance the heat from powdercoating can weeken the rim but if done properly they shouldn't have got that hot
Old 01-25-2011, 11:44 AM

I'm the only one that has been driving my car. I had all 4 rims powder coated black. And like I said, the guys mounted and balanced the tires before letting me leave the store. Yesterday, the shop guy did say something about it could have happened during the powder coating process. However, only one wheel is bent, the other 3 are fine. He even showed me the wheel on their wheel balance machine and you can clearly see that the wheel is bent without a doubt. For now, he put the bent rim on the back of the vehicle. He said he could fix it, but it's going to cost a $100. I need to get some more info from him though. I don't want it to screw up the powder coating because if that's the case, it's going to cost $200 altogether. This really pisses me off. The last time I bent a rim, it was because I wasn't use to the tight steering and clipped a curb at 45 mph. I've hit pot holes in the past, but nothing major to bend a rim. And like I said, this happened within the last week. The weather has been crazy and someone asked me if I was doing hard braking last week because we had some freezing rain, but still, heat from the brakes shouldn't transfer to the wheel that quick to where it could possibly bend and then the freezing rain screwing it up from there. I'm totally at a lost here on how this could have happened. I was just curious if anyone else has had any issues with their SS/TC rims. My girlfriend is starting to get pissed at my car. But, I partially agree with her, at least 2-3 times a month, there is something wrong with this car and I baby it when it comes to driving. If things don't take a turn for the good soon, I'm going to be trading it in towards a truck or something that is more rugged. This is just ridiculous! This is a brand new vehicle, but then again, it is GM... *skeptical*
Old 01-25-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Eurasianman
I'm the only one that has been driving my car. I had all 4 rims powder coated black. And like I said, the guys mounted and balanced the tires before letting me leave the store. Yesterday, the shop guy did say something about it could have happened during the powder coating process. However, only one wheel is bent, the other 3 are fine. He even showed me the wheel on their wheel balance machine and you can clearly see that the wheel is bent without a doubt. For now, he put the bent rim on the back of the vehicle. He said he could fix it, but it's going to cost a $100. I need to get some more info from him though. I don't want it to screw up the powder coating because if that's the case, it's going to cost $200 altogether. This really pisses me off. The last time I bent a rim, it was because I wasn't use to the tight steering and clipped a curb at 45 mph. I've hit pot holes in the past, but nothing major to bend a rim. And like I said, this happened within the last week. The weather has been crazy and someone asked me if I was doing hard braking last week because we had some freezing rain, but still, heat from the brakes shouldn't transfer to the wheel that quick to where it could possibly bend and then the freezing rain screwing it up from there. I'm totally at a lost here on how this could have happened. I was just curious if anyone else has had any issues with their SS/TC rims. My girlfriend is starting to get pissed at my car. But, I partially agree with her, at least 2-3 times a month, there is something wrong with this car and I baby it when it comes to driving. If things don't take a turn for the good soon, I'm going to be trading it in towards a truck or something that is more rugged. This is just ridiculous! This is a brand new vehicle, but then again, it is GM... *skeptical*
Sorry to say but you had to have hit something then. Whether you noticed it or not. This one's on you or the road commision, not GM.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Shibito
Sorry to say but you had to have hit something then. Whether you noticed it or not. This one's on you or the road commision, not GM.
Is it possible that it got bent when I bolted it to the car? Like I said, I made sure I criss crossed tighten the bolts, but perhaps I didn't do it properly like I thought.

And I'm well aware of that it's on me or the road commission. I'm just saying, OVERALL, the quality of this car is horrible compared to my girlfriend's 2010 Toyota Corolla that costs her $10K less than my vehicle and hasn't had a single quality issue unlike my vehicle (Uneven doors, the blower (A/C and heating fan) makes a clicking noise, random rattling throughout the vehicle, key ignition locked screwed up, etc.). However, I do not wish to stray off the topic. Just simply asking if anyone else has any issues with their SS/TCs and as it seems thus far, no one does, so I result to it either being road conditions, me thinking I bolted it to the car properly, but possibly not, or the powder coating process somehow screwed it up.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:55 PM

Is it possible that it got bent when I bolted it to the car? Like I said, I made sure I criss crossed tighten the bolts, but perhaps I didn't do it properly like I thought.

And I'm well aware of that it's on me or the road commission. I'm just saying, OVERALL, the quality of this car is horrible compared to my girlfriend's 2010 Toyota Corolla that costs her $10K less than my vehicle and hasn't had a single quality issue unlike my vehicle (Uneven doors, the blower (A/C and heating fan) makes a clicking noise, random rattling throughout the vehicle, key ignition locked screwed up, etc.). However, I do not wish to stray off the topic. Just simply asking if anyone else has any issues with their SS/TCs and as it seems thus far, no one does, so I result to it either being road conditions, me thinking I bolted it to the car properly, but possibly not, or the powder coating process somehow screwed it up.
Honestly the uneven doors and rattling is just you being picky. 99% of people will never notice those things. The key lock has been a problem on all Delta platforms for some reason, I've never dug into as why it has been. I don't think you could've bent the wheel.

And I've test drove 2 new toyota corolla's after my friend kept bugging me to, and I absolutely hated them. They have 0 power and just are not entertaining in the least bit to drive (which I'm sure your gf doesn't mind since she's probably not worried about those things.)

Cheap, reliable, fast pick 2. Prepare to make up for the other.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:58 PM

It wasn't the pc'ing process, mine have been pc'd twice, and after numerous potholes, rough train tracks, etc, they are fine.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Shibito
Honestly the uneven doors and rattling is just you being picky. 99% of people will never notice those things. The key lock has been a problem on all Delta platforms for some reason, I've never dug into as why it has been. I don't think you could've bent the wheel.

And I've test drove 2 new toyota corolla's after my friend kept bugging me to, and I absolutely hated them. They have 0 power and just are not entertaining in the least bit to drive (which I'm sure your gf doesn't mind since she's probably not worried about those things.)

Cheap, reliable, fast pick 2. Prepare to make up for the other.
I agree that it is me being picky, but nonetheless, my girlfriend's car doesn't have the same quality issues as mine. On the other hand though, her car has 'o.k.' pick up and I find the interior a little nicer than the Cobalts. I know which 2 I picked and as I've told others, I got the car for it's performance and that was it. I don't care that much, but it's a bit obnoxious when you buy a brand new vehicle that has been out for 5 years just to find that it has worse quality issues than the 2007 G5 that I bought 2 years prior. Don't get me wrong, I love the car.

Back on topic, I guess I'll just stick with the fact that I just have no luck with this vehicle
Old 01-25-2011, 02:08 PM

I agree that it is me being picky, but nonetheless, my girlfriend's car doesn't have the same quality issues as mine. On the other hand though, her car has 'o.k.' pick up and I find the interior a little nicer than the Cobalts. I know which 2 I picked and as I've told others, I got the car for it's performance and that was it. I don't care that much, but it's a bit obnoxious when you buy a brand new vehicle that has been out for 5 years just to find that it has worse quality issues than the 2007 G5 that I bought 2 years prior. Don't get me wrong, I love the car.

Back on topic, I guess I'll just stick with the fact that I just have no luck with this vehicle
Every car has their bad eggs too. I've seen people have tons of problem with any car you can think of.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:44 PM

As have I. I miss the good ole days when people rode horses
Old 02-09-2011, 03:19 PM

*sighs* The rim is too warped to be fixed and they still can't figure out how it got warped in the first place since there are ZERO signs of me hitting a pot hole and I know I didn't clip a curb because the powder coat is still on the edge of the rims
Old 02-09-2011, 06:14 PM

Make that two warped rims. The funny thing is, they were perfectly fine before they got powder coated. I'm starting to wonder if that they got messed up somewhere in the process. The question is how though?!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:16 PM

like I said before when you heat metal it expands if they were heated up to fast or cooled off to fast there is a chance I could have warped the metal. Also a lot of places pre heat thicker pieces before they p.c. its possible they over heated that wheel then? other than that IDK
Old 02-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Nothin Stock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
damn man thats shyt
Old 02-09-2011, 08:13 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
I'd suspect the shop of having done something to screw them up...

as mentioned earlier these rims are quite strong...

are they at least willing to consider they goofed up somewhere along the lines?? ~ maybe they are willing to at least go partial on getting you replacement rims...

I'm astonished they say they cannot be straightened... heat + pressure moves metal...
Old 02-09-2011, 08:18 PM

i hit a pothole that would swallow a pick up. just needed a balance rim was fine
Old 02-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Nothin Stock

ill say something sounds fishy
Old 02-09-2011, 09:18 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Sure the shop didn't take a sledge to your wheel?
Old 02-09-2011, 09:45 PM

I've been doing some research. So far, from what I've seen, they say that the oven should be at around 350F. 400F+ will start screwing with the rim. I'm starting to think they farked up my rims. Like I said, they were perfect before I got them powder coated. After wards, within 2 weeks, two warped rims. Zero signs of curb rash or hitting a pot hole. I'm going to go talk to them and ask them how hot they get their ovens. The tire place assures me that there were no signs of me hitting a pot hole or having curb rash. The wheel place and the paint place are two separate businesses. The paint place couldn't remove the tires from the rim, so I had to take it to the wheel place where they removed the tire and I took the rims back to the paint place. However, the paint place has been known to do some work for the wheel place.

Any other advice fellas? I'm afraid my other two rims are going to start warping as well. I don't know what I can get out of the paint place as well as I didn't sign any waivers or anything when I got them done.

Oh yea, and I just got some new rubber mounted on the rims. I need to get things worked out/fixed fast. Not sure how much a warped rim can affect tires, but I don't want to push my luck.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:07 AM
Nothin Stock

in for results

Quick Reply: SS/TC 18" rims durability question